Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masterchef Ireland 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭rebelgourmet

Cosmo2013 wrote: »
    Which one of them is from Cork?

there's 2 from cork (residents)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 325 ✭✭finix

Cosmo2013 wrote: »
    Which one of them is from Cork?
    ****e ! Is the a cork accent ? Will have to listen now. go away !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

I was a bit late joining switching on. The guy with the mackerel looks like he is not having a good day.

Rebel what are you cooking?

cofy wrote: »
    I was a bit late joining switching on. The guy with the mackerel looks like he is not having a good day.

Rebel what are you cooking?

pigeon guy

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Cosmo2013

Bet you're the teacher bloke

• Advertisement

pigeon guy

You had a very adventurous dish, it must have been hard to get used to different equipment than you are used to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 325 ✭✭finix

That Dylan is a **** !

cofy wrote: »
    You had a very adventurous dish, it must have been hard to get used to different equipment than you are used to.

i cooked thats dish only once before and it was a disaster - nothing on the plate after 1hr! About 19 cooking processes there - over-egged it bigtime! Was afraid I'd be bringing a knife to a gun-fight, if u know what I mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

Not at least tasting it was beyond ignorant!!!!

Jesus, he is very rough not tasting the dish (sorry I'm a bit behind everyone).

• Advertisement

i cooked thats dish only once before and it was a disaster - nothing on the plate after 1hr! About 19 cooking processes there - over-egged it bigtime! Was afraid I'd be bringing a knife to a gun-fight, if u know what I mean?

I got you last week we had a guy that did steak and chips, some thought it was too easy but he cooked it well and got through. It's a hard one to guess especially on your first cook off.

I'm delighted you got through, more to look forward to.:):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Eyepatch

Well done, Rebel!

The woman, who put nothing on the plate, must really have lost her nerve. She seemed to be doing fairly okay, even if she did have problems with the equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Eyepatch wrote: »
    Well done, Rebel!

The woman, who put nothing on the plate, must really have lost her nerve. She seemed to be doing fairly okay, even if she did have problems with the equipment.

I wasn't paying attention, did she finish her ice cream? I couldn't understand why she didn't serve up at least the ice cream and brittle, but maybe there was a problem there too?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,269 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

God they're so RUDE!!!

Not a single encouraging word for anyone, and not even tasting that guys food was completely out of order :mad:

This programme is such a total downer, couldn't be more different from the UK version if they tried. Not sure I'll be able to stick it out (although I'll make a special effort until/if Rebel is sent home :D)

And well done Rebel for getting through, hope you survive the kitchen ordeal as well!

Wasn't there another poster on here hinting that (s)he was a contestant :confused:

ETA - oh, and the clunky editing again - woman says she'll be so disappointed if she goes home after one episode, she wants to learn loads, but all she'll have learned is "how to get here" - and then she doesn't even get a plate out - oh puhlease. My seven-year-old nephew could be less obvious than that!

(but my sympathies to the lady, she handled it very well, must have been mortifying!)

Well done, Rebel!

Yeah I think so. Time can really run away with you. She was really unlucky and should be commended for attempting an ice-cream in 1 hour! I spoke to her before and after the task and she really knows her stuff about food. I was really disappointed for her - the dish sounded lovely too.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    God they're so RUDE!!!

Not a single encouraging word for anyone, and not even tasting that guys food was completely out of order :mad:

This programme is such a total downer, couldn't be more different from the UK version if they tried. Not sure I'll be able to stick it out (although I'll make a special effort until/if Rebel is sent home :D)

And well done Rebel for getting through, hope you survive the kitchen ordeal as well!

Wasn't there another poster on here hinting that (s)he was a contestant :confused:

ETA - oh, and the clunky editing again - woman says she'll be so disappointed if she goes home after one episode, she wants to learn loads, but all she'll have learned is "how to get here" - and then she doesn't even get a plate out - oh puhlease. My seven-year-old nephew could be less obvious than that!

(but my sympathies to the lady, she handled it very well, must have been mortifying!)

Fully agree, she was a great girl, and very dignified too. She could do with another run at with another dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 spenny

Well done rebel for getting through last night!

I thought your dish sounded and looked great!

Again, what a lot of people don't realise when watching the show is that Dylan & Nick taste the dishes when they are completely cold and have been hanging around for quite some time, hence why they lose their visual appeal to an extent! When I discovered this I used it to my advantage in last year's series, there's no point trying to warm things up on only 2 hobs if they are going to be tasted cold. Also there was no need to warm up plates in the oven!

Good luck in tonight's challenge Rebel!

spenny wrote: »
    Well done rebel for getting through last night!

I thought your dish sounded and looked great!

Again, what a lot of people don't realise when watching the show is that Dylan & Nick taste the dishes when they are completely cold and have been hanging around for quite some time, hence why they lose their visual appeal to an extent! When I discovered this I used it to my advantage in last year's series, there's no point trying to warm things up on only 2 hobs if they are going to be tasted cold. Also there was no need to warm up plates in the oven!

Good luck in tonight's challenge Rebel!

Cheers Andrew.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,107 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Yeah I think so. Time can really run away with you. She was really unlucky and should be commended for attempting an ice-cream in 1 hour! I spoke to her before and after the task and she really knows her stuff about food. I was really disappointed for her - the dish sounded lovely too.

I enjoyed last night. She should have put the ice cream and the brittle up rather than nothing at all!

Haven't worked out which one you are yet - haven't read all the posts. Although I have to say one contestant is a bit tasty - tastier than his food seemingly! :D:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Eyepatch

Dovies wrote: »
    I enjoyed last night. She should have put the ice cream and the brittle up rather than nothing at all!

I think that lady is a bit of a perfectionist - so it was all or nothing! She may have had only the brittle to show as at the five minute mark, her ice-cream had not frozen. Maybe she will come on here and tell us about her experiences.

Even if she had shown just the brittle, it would have been better than nothing - but in the heat of the moment, we can make strange decisions!

Best of luck to that lady. At least she has had the experience!

• Advertisement

She may have had only the brittle to show as at the five minute mark, her ice-cream had not frozen.

From my memory the ice-cream hadn't set, but the sponge/cake also wasn't cooked either - I think she assumed that she had correctly set the oven at temperature/setting but it wasn't? (I may be wrong though). The kitchen crew typically will have ice-cream churning bowls in the freezer already cold, but with hot studio lights etc..., this gets negated quickly. Ihave made ice cream hundreds of times before - and to ensure a result in those conditions within 1 hour (remember you have to cook and cool the custard first) is to have the machine running for 30 mins before churning, so that the bowl/reciever in the actual machine is super chilled too. It is still a risk, especially with a machine that you are not familiar with. - my thoughts

Am I right in thinking that you guys just basically had to assemble the plates in the restaurant services? All the elements were already prepared?

Not that I'm underestimating that for one minute! I wouldn't last ten minutes!!! :D

ETA - duh, no sooner had I posted this than I see the girl cooking scallops. It's been a long day, please ignore me.
    Gah, and Rebel cooking hake. I really do apologise!

Jaysus, 10 on order :eek:

God help you!!!

Am I right in thinking that you guys just basically had to assemble the plates in the restaurant services? All the elements were already prepared?

Not that I'm underestimating that for one minute! I wouldn't last ten minutes!!! :D

ETA - duh, no sooner had I posted this than I see the girl cooking scallops. It's been a long day, please ignore me.
    Gah, and Rebel cooking hake. I really do apologise!

we did a fair bit of prep on that one

Oh, could they be more supercilious if they tried about Bill's dish?

How is it any worse than a beef salad, which they practically raved about?

Seriously, I know I'm repeating myself, and I'll have to stop watching if I find myself wanting to post this every week.

But they really need to learn some manners, the pair of them :mad:

By golly, Rebel, you fairly pulled out the stops with that plate, compared with the others!!!

Looked delish (apart from the heart :eek:)

By golly, Rebel, you fairly pulled out the stops with that plate, compared with the others!!!

Looked delish (apart from the heart :eek:)

When I saw it I couldn't resist! I'm a nose to tail man though!

The way it works is they take 10 to the final rounds. The heats can vary as to how many go through
    now you have 2 ,,,,,,,,

bobfoc - are you in this too???

If you want to remain incognito, fair enough, but it really is great to "know" some of the contestants! And even if you don't fess up, but you are a contestant - best of good luck to ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

No way the american dude was the worst there imo.

• Advertisement

All the contestents did really well tonight, ye were well able to keep yer cool in the professional kitchen, although I thought Bill struggled abit at the start, it seemed like he had to overcome the nerves.

All the beef dishes looked great. If I saw the beef heart presented like that I would have tried it definitely:).

Advertisement