Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A torch for creme brulee?

Options
  • 04-03-2014 5:37pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Any idea where I might pick one of these up in Dublin city/Dun Laoghaire/Dublin 18?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I've been looking online and they're crazy prices. Kitchen Complements in Sth. Anne Street have one 'on sale' for €21.99. Meadows & Byrne have them too but they're part of a kit and almost €40. I picked up a little one a few years ago in Homestore & More for under a fiver and it's grand. You'd probably find a normal blowtorch in a tool shop would cost less.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭kelator

I got mine downstairs in arnotts, think it was 13e on sale. Lidl have them from time to time, not sure for how much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

I can't remember what I paid for mine but not much - small blow torch from any DIY or hardware shop. It is exactly the same thing, but prettied up so they can charge more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

I've also seen them in some of the Avoca stores

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Animord wrote: »
    I can't remember what I paid for mine but not much - small blow torch from any DIY or hardware shop. It is exactly the same thing, but prettied up so they can charge more.

This.
    A proper blowtorch from a hardware shop is far superior to the small ones from a kitchenware shop. Cheaper too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Thanks. Will pop in to woodies so

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭clint_silver

tkmaxx do them, think I got mine in blanch for something like 10e as an impulse buy a couple years ago, pretty sure I seen them in there at xmas.

homeware department. can buy the gas refills as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭clint_silver

godtabh wrote: »

yeah it would, no difference really. gas in, flame out.

this is the very like the one I got from tkmaxx for the tenner, stands up nicely.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kitchen-Craft-KCBLOWTORCHCP-Cooks-Blowtorch/dp/B0001IWYIC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394031066&sr=8-1&keywords=kitchen+blowtorch

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

What about a gas weed burner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

A bit unweildy in the kitchen, don't you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

godtabh wrote: »

Should do the trick. Mine's a bit more 'industrial' looking. ;)

Looks a bit like this one:-
    1327402006-32760-50.jpg

A bit unweildy in the kitchen, don't you think?

Depend how big a creme brulee you are going for. Beside how often does one make a creme brulee.

Generally they fit in a single portion ramekin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

The weed burner might be handy for this one though?
    The largest crème brulee weighed 1,599.96 lb (725.72 kg) and was made by students of the Le Cordon Bleu Program at the Orlando Culinary Academy, Orlando, Florida, USA on 12 February 2005.
    K Hopkins adjudicated.

In fairness that is how I have seen them too. Didn't know if it was a rule though. I have seen wedges of cheese cake as well individual one. How fresh does the burn need to be. :o

Ah jaysus - I don't think the op is going for a Guinness World Record.

The burn needs to be fresh - right before serving.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I use my little blowtorch to caramelize any bits of the honey/mustard glaze on the Christmas ham that aren't quite well enough done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

T K Maxx have chefs blow torches from time to time.

Advertisement