Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fix an Aimpoint

• 04-03-2014 5:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭

Hi guys, have an old Aimpoint Comp M2 replica lying around and I want to fix it. The reticle is broken, i.e. when you twist the intensity knob nothing happens. Anybody know how to fix this and are there parts I can get online or am I better off getting a new one?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

Is it showing the dot at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

Try a new battery to begin with! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭cathalomurchu

no dot at all. Have tried multiple new batteries. Checked the wiring inside and all seems well. Process of elimination would seems to be pointing towards to actual dot. Possibly "Burnt out"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

no dot at all. Have tried multiple new batteries. Checked the wiring inside and all seems well. Process of elimination would seems to be pointing towards to actual dot. Possibly "Burnt out"?

Is the battery secured properly in the housing?, I had an issue with a Dot sight where it wasn't making contact, simply pulled the spring that little bit out to apply more pressure and it worked.

Did you check the battery contacts for corrosion?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭brenak47

I've had this problem and the end cap for the battery needed a scrape with a piece of sand paper.Also when u tighten up the batteries turn it on and slowly loosen the cap as its more than likely a contact problem.I have 2 of these aim points and both went the same way.Hope this helps.Oh and a mistake i made was putting the flat side of the battery to the spring as it must be facing out.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the suggestions lads, sadly none of them have worked so far and to add to it, i replaced the batteries again for good measure And the battery has gotten jammed inside the unscrewable part of the battery housing... *facepalm*

Apparently driven by an LED.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_dot_sight

You could try replacing it yourself.

Could you post an exact model number?

In any case, all the magic is in the lens. Every other part (POT, PWM, LED) will be cheap and easily available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Eoghan S

Not sure if this will help your issue, but when I had a flawed dot sight, I jammed a piece of paper (folded up, you'll have to experiment with the thickness of it yourself) between the battery and the battery cover, so it pushed the battery closer to the contacts...
    It completely fixed my issue, hopefully yours is just as simple :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭T4RGET

CrinkElite wrote: »
    Apparently driven by an LED.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_dot_sight

You could try replacing it yourself.

Could you post an exact model number?

In any case, all the magic is in the lens. Every other part (POT, PWM, LED) will be cheap and easily available

I may be wrong but i don't think our RDS's work quiet on the same principle as RS ones :p Not sure if all that will apply to the ones we use is what i mean :)

You may be right but i wouldn't jump to that conclusion.
    Looking on ebay I see the price points aren't too dissimilar.
    I'm not an engineer but I don't see how you would produce a floating red dot in a lens without implementing this technique.

Would you be interested in selling the device OP?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭T4RGET

You may be right but i wouldn't jump to that conclusion.
    Looking on ebay I see the price points aren't too dissimilar.
    I'm not an engineer but I don't see how you would produce a floating red dot in a lens without implementing this technique.

I honestly wouldn't be trusting eBay then man. A rs rds knits very nature has to withstand a lot more than an airsoft one. Again you could be right but a 20-40 euro red dot for a real firearm seems almost too good to be true seeing they usually run into a couple of hundred like

Sure why not, I'm all out of ideas, it would be nice on a wall hanger or as a movie prop of something. It has all the aimpoint trades and sure if you're able to fix it good on you. I can PM you pics if you like.

I was under the impression that the airsoft replicas would set you back €60-€80.
    This leads me to believe that the cost cutting is done in the electronics and the quality of the lens but that the basic principle is the same.
    I've never seen one of these things myself as I'm not an airsoft-er so I could be talking out of my arse.
    All the same I'd be surprised if the technology was fundamentally different.

Sure why not, I'm all out of ideas, it would be nice on a wall hanger or as a movie prop of something. It has all the aimpoint trades and sure if you're able to fix it good on you. I can PM you pics if you like.

Please do, and could you show me any markings that identify the manufacturer and model number.

Advertisement