Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading my Laptop CLUELESS

Options
  • 04-03-2014 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hey dudes, thanks for clicking onto my post.

I have a ASUS S400CA laptop i3 core processor, i know very little about the whole upgrading ram and motherboards and all that,

However all i know is, that i want to upload videos to youtube to my gaming channel and stream online , i also use Sony Vegas pro 12 and HD PVR 2 Gaming Edition

now with these applications comes system requirments...listed below are system requirments for sony vegas pro 12 , now my laptop i don't think has many of these , but what i do need is more 2 or more GHZ and more RAM i have 4gb ram also my laptop is a 64-Bit Operating system

2 GHz processor (multicore or multiprocessor CPU.)
    500 MB hard-disk space for program installation
    4 GB RAM (8 GB recommended)
    512 MB GPU memory
    Windows-compatible sound card
    GPU-accelerated video processing and rendering require an OpenCL™-supported NVIDIA®, AMD/ATI™, or
    Intel®GPU with 512MB memory or more.

What do i need to upgrade.. Motherboard/Intel/RAM.. etc ..

Thanks for the help guys.. Really lost and confused..

Monk

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

With laptops you are limited with upgrade options really.. The ram, HDD, DVD drive, WiFi card are pretty much all you could upgrade.
    The CPU and GPU if it has one will most likely be soldered to the motherboard and replacing the motherboard is a big job and is not worth it at all.. If you want to upgrade the ram by adding more (if one slot is free) or adding bigger sticks if not here's a video on how to do it.. If you are make sure you get the same ram as in the machine already and make sure you don't install more than the motherboard can handle.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9v1SOengZw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

If you are looking for something upgradable a desktop is the way to go..

• Registered Users Posts: 21 MyMonkTv

hey , thanks for taking the time to post. i want to upgrade my laptop so that it is best suited to these requirements on screen, i won't be doing a DIY job on it . so if i buy a motherboard and a 16Gb ram that accommodates the system requirments above i should be good to go yes ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 52 ✭✭itsirishfarmer

the only thing you can really upgrade is the memory if you have 64 bit windows os

32 bits cant use more memory,you can put an ssd harddrive

you can buy external usb video card

to watch videos you need good internet what speed have you got

It will end up costing you more than its worth ..it could cost you in excess of €200 to get the motherboard replaced and the benifit you would get is marginal .. I'd try Install the software.. It may run fine on your current system the recommend settings are only there as a guide..it may run a bit slower than a faster system but it should still work..

• Registered Users Posts: 21 MyMonkTv

Ive decided that im going to buy a HP Computer 3.7 GHz 16Gb ram off pc world.. its Worth the buy

• Advertisement

before you buy it I'd post here what your budget is and what you are looking at as sometimes there may be a better option for the price. I'd always recommend building one yourself it's not very difficult but it will take some research if you have the time to do it and you usually get a better deal i.e performance to price ratio and also you get the knowledge of how your computer works which helps you troubleshoot problems easier but it's for everyone and you can still get a good deal on a pre built PC.

Advertisement