Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spice grinder

• 04-03-2014 6:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a simple, cheap spice grinder ? I'm searching on Amazon and there seems to be tons to choose from

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,793 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I use a coffee grinder that I picked up in Argos for €15 IIRC. If you want super-fine spice maybe you need a more high-end grinder. But it may be worth checking out cheap coffee grinders too.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭earlytobed

I got a Krups coffee grinder in DID for around €30. Works fine. Aldi have them sometimes a bit cheaper but you might have to wait

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

I use a cheap Kenwood coffee grinder. Think I got it in TK Maxx.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I was doing a cookery course last month and the chef giving it recommended using a coffee grinder as well … just don't use it for coffee after!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

If you're near an Ikea or a Tiger they have these ones

ikea--ihardig-spice-mill__0114945_PE267933_S4.JPG

You get a bit of a workout using them but they're about €3

I got a cheap James Martin/Wahl one on Argos that cost about €22 and comes with a little add on to grind spices more finely if you need to. Having said that, only used it to grind coffee so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Bulcan

question re spices: Do ground spices lose their flavour if they are not sealed in a jar or similar? In spice producing countries they seem to display ground spices in open bowls. Any views on this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,129 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Bulcan wrote: »
    question re spices: Do ground spices lose their flavour if they are not sealed in a jar or similar? In spice producing countries they seem to display ground spices in open bowls. Any views on this?

Ground spices start to lose their aroma especially and their flavour as soon as they are ground. I would never buy spices, ground or whole, from an open bowl if I could help it unless they were super fresh as might be the case in spice producing countries.
    It is always best to buy whole spices in small amounts and grind fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Bulcan

thanks for that revolu. time to throw out my more-than-a-year-old ground spices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Stick them in a freezer if you have lots, it makes them last a bit longer.
    In a hot kitchen next to a hob is probably the worst place for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

There was a Rick Stein in India program on recently. They were grinding spices in some interesting way, can't even remember, maybe on stone slabs which rubbed together.

He was saying it was so the spices did not overheat when grinding, which is supposed to happen in some commercial grinders.

So if you have a grinder with speed settings you might want to pick slow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,793 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I remember that episode. The spices were ground using a pounding motion in a mortar & pestle rather than abrading them against the bottom & sides as the latter way heats the spices.

Interesting, but overly finicky imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

bee06 wrote: »
    I was doing a cookery course last month and the chef giving it recommended using a coffee grinder as well … just don't use it for coffee after!

Would be interested in hearing about your cookery course

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

As with coffee; go for a burr type grinder and not a whirly blade grinder that will cause way too much heat and an uneven grind. You'll pick up a little manual one cheap enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

Ground spices start to lose their aroma especially and their flavour as soon as they are ground. I would never buy spices, ground or whole, from an open bowl if I could help it unless they were super fresh as might be the case in spice producing countries.
    It is always best to buy whole spices in small amounts and grind fresh.

Best to use aittight containers and also very important is that they are not glass / transparent plastic either. Light will affect them also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Would be interested in hearing about your cookery course

It was 4 classes of 2 hours each. The first night we did yeast and soda bread, 2nd night was soups and sauces, third night was curry (including the spice grinding) and a starter and dessert and the last night was fish, starter and dessert. Everything we cooked we could take home and they provided the ingredients. It was in Cork but I can PM you the name if you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Grinding in an electric grinder heats up the spices and they may lose flavour.

Mortar and pestle is the job!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

bee06 wrote: »
    It was 4 classes of 2 hours each. The first night we did yeast and soda bread, 2nd night was soups and sauces, third night was curry (including the spice grinding) and a starter and dessert and the last night was fish, starter and dessert. Everything we cooked we could take home and they provided the ingredients. It was in Cork but I can PM you the name if you want.

I did that course too! We didn't do about the spice grinding though, even though we did make curry

Advertisement