Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French Writing Section

Options
  • 04-03-2014 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hi was wondering how everyone else goes about the letter and note in the French exam. My teacher gives us paragraphs to learn off but last year they didnt come up! Any tips on preparing letters and notes would be brilliant.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭S_Hick12

Hi was wondering how everyone else goes about the letter and note in the French exam. My teacher gives us paragraphs to learn off but last year they didnt come up! Any tips on preparing letters and notes would be brilliant.

Know an opening sentence or 2 and an ending one. Know the tenses and common verbs and try and learn some vocabulary. I didn't do a whole lot of preparation and still got an A in my mock.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Xgracie

Know a few sentences for the opening, know how to say thanks for the letter/present and how to ask them to visit you next summer
    Go through papers, they're the best prep and know your tenses!

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭smiles_1998

LETTERS:
    Ensure you know the layout and how to write an address in a French letter. Know an opening paragraph, an ending paragraph and a paragraph of questions to put in just before the ending paragraph (eg how is your family? What did you do last weekend? Have you any news for me?). Know a paragraph on a film and/or a book and a paragraph on a party/trip to Dublin etc. (which could be included in a "what you did last weekend" paragraph). Most importantly, know your tenses- at a minimum, know the present tense, futur simple, futur proche and passé composé. Learning the imperfect and conditional would also be helpful.

NOTES:
    Know the layout of the note and how to begin and end a note. Practise past papers to get an idea of things commonly asked in notes.

Hope this helps :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Study is a balls

I usually start my opening like
    Comment - vas tu? Bien j espere Moi je suis en pleine forme.then where ever I am and I could give some personal news such as je veins de demanger or is ton pere va mieux son accident de voiture.
    Sorry couldn't do aigu and groves and circumflex es ps I got full marks in my mock for an opening similar

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭IrishLassie26

Thanks guys. Any more advice for written work in French? Its the one section I`m concerned about. I got 82% in my Mocks but I think thats partly because our teacher told us what was coming up in written work and we had the exact paragraphs learned off before that. We have a lot of paragraphs covered at school. Last year however, only one of 5 paragraphs that the students covered came up. We haven`t done much verbs only the exact verbs we`ve learned off in our paragraphs. So any advice on what to do? Should I just learn the endings for present, past and future? Would that be enough or do I need to learn more tenses as well as questions, adjectives etc.?

• Advertisement
Advertisement