Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killing an old facebook page?

Options
  • 04-03-2014 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

My business has a facebook page, about 7,500 likes on it. The page is very old as in I started it years ago when facebook first started pages.

Anything I post on the page, there is zero interaction whatsoever. No likes, nada. I had a promotional video made 30seconds long, posted up the YouTube link, promoted the post to all my "Likes" and got 2 likes, seen by over 7000.

I'm pretty sure the people who like my page did ages ago and have no desire to interact. Now if I posted up a "Like and Share" competition there might be some traction. If people dont like my business, why don't they remove it from their own likes?!

But I have noticed a new competitor who started his page 6-months ago and has 3,000 likes but a huge amount of interaction, lots of post likes, interaction etc. He doesn't do any competitions.

Should I bin my current page and pretty much start from scratch, build up a following of people through targeted ads who actually have an interest in my business? or can I got through my likes and delete a large number of them?

If I do bin my page, can I keep my username though? - thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Buttercake wrote: »
    Hi folks,

My business has a facebook page, about 7,500 likes on it. The page is very old as in I started it years ago when facebook first started pages.

Anything I post on the page, there is zero interaction whatsoever. No likes, nada. I had a promotional video made 30seconds long, posted up the YouTube link, promoted the post to all my "Likes" and got 2 likes, seen by over 7000.

I'm pretty sure the people who like my page did ages ago and have no desire to interact. Now if I posted up a "Like and Share" competition there might be some traction. If people dont like my business, why don't they remove it from their own likes?!

But I have noticed a new competitor who started his page 6-months ago and has 3,000 likes but a huge amount of interaction, lots of post likes, interaction etc. He doesn't do any competitions.

Should I bin my current page and pretty much start from scratch, build up a following of people through targeted ads who actually have an interest in my business? or can I got through my likes and delete a large number of them?

If I do bin my page, can I keep my username though? - thanks in advance
    What's the page I'll give you a sympathy like

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Buttercake

ha, thanks! i have enough likes!! its the other 7500 who are on it - its the interaction

i dont know why they like the page if they have no interest in it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Buttercake wrote: »
    ha, thanks! i have enough likes!! its the other 7500 who are on it - its the interaction

i dont know why they like the page if they have no interest in it

Stumbled across this thread in much the same way I stumbled across this video. Have no idea as to how accurate it is but he would appear to make some very valid points.

yep seen that before

I think tho my page might be different, i set it up before facebook ads were introduced..

ive always had a large following, its just I think im stuck with them and would it be better to kill it and start again, but then watching the video again, it wouldn't make sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

I wouldn't "kill" an existing page, but maybe you need to change your strategy?

Without knowing what the page is and who it's targetting, what you've been doing etc., it's really hard to give you any meaningful advice

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 52 ✭✭itsirishfarmer

make a new video,start liking your friends pages,become friends ith competitors frriends,update your page everyday

Yep i usually post once a week so will start posting every day.

Hopefully that means the users who liked the page ages ago will start unliking it and ill be left with those who actually like it! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Why on earth does it worry you to have older "likers" who dont' say much, but haven't "unliked" you either. That's just nuts.

If you kill it and make a new page, then there's every chance that no one with bother liking it!

If people are stting your page, but not interacting back then, maybe your buisiness is simply just not exciting - or that people don't think that their frends would want to know what they think of you. (Maybe you're too excisting, and they'd be ashamed for their friends to know!). Or maybe your tone is just wrong .. perhaps talk to a copyright for some help.

Why on earth does it worry you to have older "likers" who dont' say much, but haven't "unliked" you either. That's just nuts.

because it costs more to promote posts to thousands of likes then say 150.

When a post is submitted it says "seen by 289" which facebook promote it to, zero response and if i want to promote it to all my likes it costs €40 because there are over 7000. Its a entertainment company, not too exciting but not a dormant page.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Not knowing your target audience, maybe new profile picture, new cover picture, and possibly a new competition video?

As for daily updates, if your business orientated, perhaps only do daily weekday updates?

If it's not business orientated, perhaps think of when your target audience will be on Facebook (eg; 20:00 and weekends at 13:00).

• Advertisement
Advertisement