Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I stay or go?

Options
  • 04-03-2014 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi All,

Well,

Thinking of leaving a permanent role for a fixed term contract position.
    Pay is considerably more and good chance of permanent role at the end.

Current position, feel like my ability isn't being fully met, under payed and overworked.

Hmm wish I had a crystal ball......:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

KyleJJE wrote: »
    Hi All,

Well,

Thinking of leaving a permanent role for a fixed term contract position.
    Pay is considerably more and good chance of permanent role at the end.

Current position, feel like my ability isn't being fully met, under payed and overworked.

Hmm wish I had a crystal ball......:rolleyes:

I previously left a permanent position for a contract one and it was the best decision that I ever made. They renewed my contract a few times but couldn't keep me on after that. Still don't regret it though. Think long and hard. Are you unhappy, unfulfilled. If so, no point in staying. If your industry is going ok, jobs are on the up and it might be the time now to take a risk. Make sure it is the right decision for you at this time. Weigh up the pro's and cons of each.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

This is a huge problem in Ireland because of high unemployment, a small and contracting domestic market, increasing takeovers and concentrating of decision making at the centre of Europe etc.

Many people are stuck in jobs that are boring them to tears because of the fear of being stuck on the dole if they make a change.

Write down everything on two sheets of paper, pro and con.

Discuss this with as many knowledgeable people as you can but beware of hidden agendas etc. Colleagues might like to blow up your new job to better than it is so as to take your present job.

In the present climate their is very little advantage in a permanent job, we are all one months salary away from the dole, the only advantage being a big payoff for permies who are let go. Keep an eye on market conditions etc as there may be an impending layoff and big payout in your present job which you will miss if you "jump ship" too soon.

You might be able to use a job offer elsewhere to leverage advancement or training opportunities etc from your current boss but promises might be made which can be retracted if you elect to stay and the competing offer is no longer on the table.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 underemployed

I feel your pain dude. Being underemployed in a dead end job is nothing but painful hope it works out for you.

Advertisement