Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trouble setting up a new router

Options
  • 04-03-2014 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

My current router is a Netgear N300, and the new one I bought is a Netgear N600. I'm currently with Eircom and have my current router connected to the adapter, and into the phone line. However, with this new router, there isn't a slot with the right size for that wire (it's basically a male head of an ethernet wire, but smaller). On the installation guide for my new router, it says to connect my router to my modem via ethernet cable that came with it, I don't have a modem... unless that small adapter thing from Eircom is that...

So what am I supposed to do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭xK Marcus

Here's pictures of the backs of each router.

N300:
    c26-DGN3500-1-lg.jpg

N600:
    B002HWRJY4_bigchart_lg.jpg

Is there something I'll need to buy to get this new router to work with my setup? or have a bought something completely wrong that just won't work?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

You bought a router and not an adsl modem/router. Best thing to do is to 'bridge' the N300 and then connect that to the N600.

Other than that return it and buy one of these:

http://www.dabs.ie/products/netgear-n600-wireless-n-dual-band-gigabit-adsl2--modem-router-7FF5.html

degsie wrote: »
    You bought a router and not an adsl modem/router. Best thing to do is to 'bridge' the N300 and then connect that to the N600.

I'll have to wait until tomorrow afternoon to try that, what does this entail exactly, if you don't mind explaining?

xK Marcus wrote: »
    I'll have to wait until tomorrow afternoon to try that, what does this entail exactly, if you don't mind explaining?

I edited my last post.

Anyway to bridge a quick google shows this:

http://www.ehow.com/how_8762495_turn-300-router-bridge-mode.html

I edited my last post.

Anyway to bridge a quick google shows this:

http://www.ehow.com/how_8762495_turn-300-router-bridge-mode.html

Ok thanks. Not sure if I can return it though, bought from Amazon, I'll try bridge it and see how it goes. It wouldn't effect performance at all, would it?

• Advertisement

Ok thanks. Not sure if I can return it though, bought from Amazon, I'll try bridge it and see how it goes. It wouldn't effect performance at all, would it?

Amazon is one of the easier sites to return items to, usually no quibbles.

So I've bridged the old router correctly I'm thinking, and the network from the new router has showed up, but I'm getting a limited connection and can't connect to the internet at all.

The light below the internet icon on the router is orange, and on routerlogin.net it just says in the "Internet" tab - Error: Not Connected. If clicked on, it then says "Detecting the internet connection...." and after a few minutes of this, it says:

Problem Detecting the Internet Connection

This is most likely due to one of the following reasons:

1. The modem was not power cycled during the cabling step.

To solve this problem, power cycle the modem (turn it off and on). To power cycle a modem with battery backup, you might need to remove and reinsert its battery. After the power cycle, wait 2 minutes for the modem to completely start up.

2. The yellow Ethernet cable is not fully inserted, or is inserted in the wrong place.

To solve this problem, make sure that the yellow Ethernet cable is securely plugged in to the broadband modem port and the router Internet port

I've tried using both wired, and wireless, both with same results.

I'm also still able to access the internet through my old router even after deselecting "Use Router as DHCP Server." in the router settings, should I still be able to...?

How are you connecting the routers?

Via ethernet cable, to be exact, from the first yellow socket from the left in the first picture above (N300), in to the first and only yellow socket in the second picture (N600)

• Advertisement

Connect to one of the 'LAN' ports on the N600 instead of the yellow 'WAN' port.

Ok, I'll do that now.

Still doesn't work, wired or wireless. Now there's no light at all under the internet icon.

Make sure each router has a different IP address, the default usually is 192.168.1.1.

Make sure each router has a different IP address, the default usually is 192.168.1.1.

I'm using a static IP on my old router, so I don't think it's that

The router IP is always static. I'd check both routers to ensure you are not using identical IP's.

What is the EXACT model number of the N300 modem/router? It should be printed somewhere on the device. It would be best to find out how to set 'true bridge' mode so you could connect to the WAN port on the N600 router and fully utilise it.

The router IP is always static. I'd check both routers to ensure you are not using identical IP's.

Isn't the default Dynamic or something? I had to change it to do some stuff.

And as for the model number, it's DGN2200.

Isn't the default Dynamic or something? I had to change it to do some stuff.

And as for the model number, it's DGN2200.

You are probably thinking of DHCP, which assigns dynamic IP to attached devices. The router itself will have a static IP address, this is the address you use to configure the router from your browser, for example.

Anyway you might be interested in this:

http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?p=294376

This talks about 'true bridge' mode for DNG2200. If you follow this the DNG2200 acts as a ADSL modem only and you can then connect it to the WAN port of the N600.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

If you bridge the first modem you'll need to add pppoe on the second router so it gets the public ip

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the help on this guys, I've decided to take the easy way out and just return it and buy one which is compatible with my conditions.

So should I buy the same router but with the right sockets, like the one below, or is there a different one? for some reason this router has a lot of negative ratings/reviews on most sites I see it on.

http://www.dabs.ie/products/netgear-n600-wireless-n-dual-band-gigabit-adsl2--modem-router-7FF5.html

Edit: I should add some information actually if I'm asking for suggestions. I'm looking for a router that provides a stable connection (currently not too stable, my ISP has assured me it's nothing on their end), and that allows multiple people online at the same time without as much of an impact as currently having (One person streaming a video, or loading a page = 1000ping and from 14mbps-1/2mbps). I've seen people say I should get a router with QoS options to help with this.

I've been looking at routers for the last couple of days now, and it seems like Draytek make good quality routers, although quite expensive. Does anyone know much about them, and if they are worth it?

Advertisement