Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding switch inside to Outside Security light.

Options
  • 04-03-2014 9:12pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I currently have a outside security light wired to a double socket for power. It works fine but i want the option to be able to cut power to the light by way of a switch. What is the best way to do this assuming i cut the cable inside and have two sets of live, neutral and earth wires?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Just run the live through the switch when its off its off totally.
    Bear in mind under normal operation the switch should be left on.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

KoolKid wrote: »
    Just run the live through the switch when its off its off totally.
    Bear in mind under normal operation the switch should be left on.

So i only need to split the live wire and have one Live going to L1 and the other to Common? Earth and Neutral don't need to be split?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

So i only need to split the live wire and have one Live going to L1 and the other to Common? Earth and Neutral don't need to be split?

Yes, only the live has to be switched - the earth and neutral remain untouched. Though, to be honest, for safety's sake, if your knowledge of electrics is that rudimentary, it may be worth your while getting the help of someone to make sure that the job is done right.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Normally only the live (sometimes called the phase) is "broken" through the switch and the neutral and earth are not. This means that when the switch is operated the neutral and earth conductors remain connected to the light at all times, but the live is connected/disconnected.
    I currently have a outside security light wired to a double socket for power.

It is not good practice to feed a light from a socket and depending on how it is done it may not comply with the regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

I would suggest you use a switched fused spur connection from your lighting circuit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Cerco wrote: »
    I would suggest you use a switched fused spur connection from your lighting circuit.

So the same principal as a standard one way switch just using the two lives to respective connections on the switched fused spur?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

I would use a double pole switched fuse spur. You then switch both live and neutral. Google switched fuse spur for further info.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 322 ✭✭jpb14

10amp double pole switch will do the job for external lights.If its for external power sockets then its a 20amp double pole switch you need.

Advertisement