Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Motorcycle theft a big problem?

• 04-03-2014 9:52pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭

Is Motorcycle theft a big problem?

If it is, is theft from home or public places the bigger problem?

A friend and I discussed this last night and he said this was his biggest fear, the constant worry about having his bike stolen from home, from work or a public parking space.

After a while we came up with an idea for a portable anti-theft device we will prototype.

What would you pay for such a device and would you expect your insurance premium to come down if you used one?

Motor-cycle theft security poll 16 votes

Would you pay >€275 for greatly improved motor-cycle security?
    0%
    Would it matter if your insurance premium didn't reduce?
    37%
    Z CAR MIron HideRichard teaSimon300robot7080Suasdaguna1 6 votes
    Are stealthy security measures important to you?
    12%
    LockstepPeanut2011 2 votes
    Are highly visible intimidatory security measures important to you?
    6%
    BaronVon 1 vote
    Is integration of new / old security measures important to you?
    43%
    RosieJoeWonda-Boyhave2flushtwicemathepacaaakevAndy_Dublinrobinwing 7 votes
    Is independence of new / old security measures important to you?
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

I already have one, it's called an immobiliser. Saved two bikes from being stolen. One at home, one in a public spot.

Now I also have:
    - big almax **** off chain and ground anchor for home
    - alarmed disk lock with cable for out and about

I currently get a discount for having my alarm/immobiliser installed.

What's your anti-theft idea?

If it adds additional security, costs < 250 euro and is transferrable between bikes, I'd buy it without any discount from the insurance companies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

colm_c wrote: »
    ... If it adds additional security, costs < 250 euro and is transferrable between bikes, I'd buy it without any discount from the insurance companies.
    Thanks for that. The current projected retail price is between 280/300 inc VAT, the device is transferrable between bikes and can use an existing ground anchor for added security (longer-term parking indoors or out) but will work without one.

At this stage we cannot say more than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Can I put it in my topbox or backpack?

Yes - portability and transferability are amonst the deign criteria. Top-box, existing back-packs, panniers all figure in the plans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

It all depends on what it is. There's plenty of options out there, if yours looks like it would work, then I'd pay the money. If I think my chain is just as good, then no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

When u guys lock ur bikes, with a disc lock, or a wheel chain, do u use ground anchors for ur chain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

I left my keys in the ignition on my driveway for two days once by accident. I'm not the most security conscious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

AgileMyth wrote: »
    I left my keys in the ignition on my driveway for two days once by accident. I'm not the most security conscious.

We've all done it. Well, I've done it anyway, about 5 times.

Cienciano wrote: »
    We've all done it. Well, I've done it anyway, about 5 times.
    I don't think we can help you there - yet! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭robinwing

Can your device stop a pair of fu**ers in a van come and load the bike and take it away ? , incidentally they come equipped with high powered metal cutting devices

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

Need to make the poll multi-choice as you can only select one option at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

Hard to say if youd commit money to it without knowing what it is.

But as the above mentioned, if it works and adds security that a lock and chain wont, then why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭robinwing

colm_c wrote: »
    Need to make the poll multi-choice as you can only select one option at the moment.

agree with Colm C , Most would pay > 275 BUT must be highly visible also .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Suasdaguna1

Would it matter if your insurance premium didn't reduce?
    The heavier the bike the less the opportunists will nab it. Scooters and 125s are a sinch to throw into the back of a hi ace. An R1200 GS is a different proposition and will be a pro job.

I have a big f off chain, i park my GS in visible places in day light......and its in a lock up by night. I would sh!t myself leaving a bike out at night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

When u guys lock ur bikes, with a disc lock, or a wheel chain, do u use ground anchors for ur chain?

Ground anchor when at home currently but have preferred large steel objects like lampposts in the past. I'm pretty sure from my past work that it would take a minute to pop most ground anchors out.

I don't lock the bike when I'm out and about, mainly because I rarely use it out and about. Chains are too bulky and disc locks don't stop it going into the back of a van.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭CBRLizzie

I have mine locked in an alarmed garage at night, and I have a german shepherd who goes ape **** every time someone opens the gate - pizza delivery fellas ring the doorbell & then wait at the gate til they're sure he's gone :D If anyone gets it past that, they can have it :)

In work they've popped the ignition out a couple of times, they keep their hoods up coz its under a camera, but thank God they've never got it there - a van doesn't fit where its parked. I do tend not to go anywhere where it might be at risk though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

claymore mine under the seat, pointed skywards

dont get an insurance discount with them though unfort

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

^ true that...a 'Bouncing Betty' would sort the wannabe thief out alright :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Mines got an immobiliser & a really loud an annoying alarm.
    Disk lock on the front wheel.
    One chain around the back wheel and a second chain through the back wheel and around a light post.

That's the setup outside my front door with on street parking.
    I try and put tension on the chain to the light post so if someone starts trying to cut the chain with a bolt cutter they should have to tug on the bike which will set off the alarm.

If I'm just out and about ill put the disk lock in my bag or jacket pocket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 117 ✭✭illeagles_mcc

i have an oxford alarmed disc lock i bought in halfords for 40 euro. great job. when u lock it, the alarm arms. runs wee hearin aid batteries, last around 6 months

btw; i didnt answer the poll as it reads like a marketing survey

edit: just seen aldi have alarmed padlocks for €9.99 from sunday march 9th and lots of other security stuff too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭scorn

I don't lock the bike when I'm out and about, mainly because I rarely use it out and about. Chains are too bulky and disc locks don't stop it going into the back of a van.

My neighbour went in to register his full licence and didn't put the chain (or disk lock) on his Triumph Tiger (2011 model). He did have the alarm and immobiliser on though. While he was in the queue someone came in and asked if it was his bike outside as someone was messing with it.

By the time he was outside he saw the bike being ridden, U-turned in the street, then gone.

Luckilly there was CCTV footage and the police were quick on the scene - they knew the perp (he was only just out of the clink) and they had a good idea where he was going to offload the bike. They got there and found the bike parked up - a car with some other folk arrived shortly after (helmets and all) but disappeared when they saw the guards.

Anyway - upshot of this story (even though it had a happy ending) is that an extra minute or two to put a disk lock or chain on the back wheel would definitely have stopped this from happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Wossack wrote: »
    claymore mine under the seat, pointed skywards

dont get an insurance discount with them though unfort
    I know a lot of lads that have forgotten to take their disk lock off before driving off. Don't think we should be trusted with mines!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

My bike is secured to a large immovable object.....

Itself :pac:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

AgileMyth wrote: »
    I know a lot of lads that have forgotten to take their disk lock off before driving off. Don't think we should be trusted with mines!!
    Thats what i'd be scared of. I know I'd mangle the disc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Zascar wrote: »
    Thats what i'd be scared of. I know I'd mangle the disc

I always put the disk lock atbthe top of the rear disk toughint the brake caliper so if I forget ill find out very quick. I put it on every time I park and wont be able to see the bike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

That's what the bright cable you wrap around the handlebar is for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Yeah I just have my keys on that! Haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,686 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I like the sound of an anti theft device being lightweight and portable enough to fit in a backpack. But that means it's not a chain and therefore it won't solve the problem of pro thieves arriving with a van and lifting it into the back.

I think you've got to look at bike theft from a thieves perspective. All they want is an easy task so the more daunting the security device the more chance that they'll move on to a bike with a device they know they can bypass.

That in a nutshell is probably why heavy duty chains like Almax are popular. I use one wrapped around a tree and my front wheel, combined with a disc lock and alarm & immobiliser. In order to lift the bike they'd have to either cut the tree down or cut the chain. Either option would be a noisy job, therefore they'll leave it and go find a bike that doesn't give them a ton of hassle and an increased chance of getting caught.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

There is nothing really to stop pro thieves arriving and lifting a bike....they would prolly do it with you sitting on the fookin bike its getting that bad.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

If your motorcycle is targeted by professional bike thieves, there is very little to stop them. Two guys and a van will lift most motorcycles, even the heaviest of them. Harleys etc are the exeption. Often thought that if you could lock your centre stand (if your motorcycle had one) in the down position that it would make it very difficult for the opportunist thieve to stela.

Advertisement