Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Motorcycle theft a big problem?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

a hidden switch, that unless pressed, does the following:

a) once the bike hits 60kmph, the throttle locks open
    b) once (if) the bike hits 100kmph, the front brake engages fully

if I was rich enough, I'd be very tempted to set a few bait bikes up like the above...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭szatan84

Wossack wrote: »
    a hidden switch, that unless pressed, does the following:

a) once the bike hits 60kmph, the throttle locks open
    b) once (if) the bike hits 100kmph, the front brake engages fully

if I was rich enough, I'd be very tempted to set a few bait bikes up like the above...

godd idea but it eould damage the bike. I was thinking of a hidden siwtch with a pressure plate under the seat. you dont press thr button, sit on bike, activate the pressure plate and a ejection mechanism catapults you 50ft into the air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

szatan84 wrote: »
    godd idea but it eould damage the bike. I was thinking of a hidden siwtch with a pressure plate under the seat. you dont press thr button, sit on bike, activate the pressure plate and a ejection mechanism catapults you 50ft into the air.

Ah, Wile e Coyote? Is it yourself, still being a crazy son of a bitch I see :pac: I like the idea as a general rule, but... I feel like losing the seat would suck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭szatan84

Ah, Wile e Coyote? Is it yourself, still being a crazy son of a bitch I see :pac: I like the idea as a general rule, but... I feel like losing the seat would suck.

well you could use a spring as an ejector, and attach it to the seat. that way you would only have to push the seat in once the unfortunate individual removes himself from the bike. hate to forget pressing the button when im gettin on it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

scorn wrote: »
    My neighbour went in to register his full licence and didn't put the chain (or disk lock) on his Triumph Tiger (2011 model). He did have the alarm and immobiliser on though. While he was in the queue someone came in and asked if it was his bike outside as someone was messing with it.

By the time he was outside he saw the bike being ridden, U-turned in the street, then gone.

How did they start it so easily/quickly if he had an immobilizer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

szatan84 wrote: »
    Wouldn't be too hard, put an old airbag under the seat.
    But I wouldn't fancy driving around knowing it's there.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Ironman76

Thankfully nobody's ever had a go at taking my bike (Honda Shadow). I use a real heavy duty chain. The Hulk wouldn't get this bad boy off.

I'd be open to better security if I got a new bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Is integration of new / old security measures important to you?
    Ironman76 wrote: »
    Thankfully nobody's ever had a go at taking my bike (Honda Shadow). I use a real heavy duty chain. The Hulk wouldn't get this bad boy off.

What chain ya got? If ots not an almax id check out some videos and see how tough your chain actually is!

Someone put up videos a few weeks ago of some of the top chaims on the market for bikes, most of them failed in well under 1 minute and a fair few in under 20 seconds!!

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭dunner515

Ironman76 wrote: »

aaakev wrote: »
    What chain ya got? If ots not an almax id check out some videos and see how tough your chain actually is!

Someone put up videos a few weeks ago of some of the top chaims on the market for bikes, most of them failed in well under 1 minute and a fair few in under 20 seconds!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Z CAR M

Would it matter if your insurance premium didn't reduce?
    My motorbike Yahama Virago 1998, 125cc was stolen in front of our house. The answer to mathepac´s question is - All biker (including myself) should get a GPS Tracker which you can purchase to good prices on eBay...so, this will not happen again with my next bike for sure and if, I will find it with the Garda

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

scorn wrote: »
    My neighbour went in to register his full licence and didn't put the chain (or disk lock) on his Triumph Tiger (2011 model). He did have the alarm and immobiliser on though. While he was in the queue someone came in and asked if it was his bike outside as someone was messing with it.

By the time he was outside he saw the bike being ridden, U-turned in the street, then gone.

Luckilly there was CCTV footage and the police were quick on the scene - they knew the perp (he was only just out of the clink) and they had a good idea where he was going to offload the bike. They got there and found the bike parked up - a car with some other folk arrived shortly after (helmets and all) but disappeared when they saw the guards.

Anyway - upshot of this story (even though it had a happy ending) is that an extra minute or two to put a disk lock or chain on the back wheel would definitely have stopped this from happening.

Honest answer. Theft would have delayed by about 10-20 seconds more, the guy obviously had tools on him and would have cropped any small disk lock in seconds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

Honest answer. Theft would have delayed by about 10-20 seconds more, the guy obviously had tools on him and would have cropped any small disk lock in seconds.

I still don't see how he could get around the immobilizer that quick...it's hooked up to the ECU right? Which controls the ignition system...No matching key, no fuel...

Or so I thought. Open to being corrected!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Yeah I call BS on that story too. You can't hot wire most modern bikes at all - wont start without the key. Honda have the HISS and you need to replace the ECU to make it work again. Scumbags tried to nick my old bike, ripped out the ignition but could not start it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

This is the type of "security" i want............:D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju7Vu4Oa4zE

Advertisement