Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hello from an utter newbie with a mission

Options
  • 04-03-2014 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Just a quick note to introduce myself. My name is Ron(ald) and I am 40yrs auld. I am an aspiring photographer, and run my own little photography business. I shoot mainly landscapes, urban scenes and create conceptual images. I love the Wicklow Mountains, and all of Irelands beautiful nature for that matter.

I am overweight since my mid 20ies and now I am going to embark on a new mission. The rough outline of my mission is that I am going to walk the Wicklow Way before the end of next year. Most likely in the summer of 2015. I am going to train up for this massive challenge and next year, as 41st birthday present for myself, I hope to be 50 kilos lighter and fit enough to walk 127 kilometer through the Wicklow Mountains. So far I have lost 11 kilos through adjusting to a balanced diet and swimming.

Next step is to get educated on equipment needed for this 127k challenge and I will start with boots. I really like Meindl boots and now I just need to figure out which model.

So my main goal on this forum is to get educated, get to know new people, and hope to have some fun.

If you want to check out my photos, this is my stock site <mod snip> and this is my more arty work <mod snip>. There is some overlap as I like to shoot what I love and not really shoot solely for stock.

My first question is on what Meindls best to get for the Wicklow Way and the best store to get them. Preferably in the Dublin area, but I dont mind driving up to Wicklow.

Thats it for now ;)

Cheers
    Ron

Mod: advertising your company is not permitted, either under the forum charter or under boards.ie guidelines. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/faq.php?faq=bie_faq_guidelines#faq_bie_faq_guidelines_advertise

There's nothing stopping you from sticking up pictures here, as people have done in other threads, provided that the no-advertising rule is observed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭SNAKEDOC

Welcome to the forum ron. You've come to the right place for advice ive got some good pointers here myself. I am the complete opposite of you in that i love the mountains and am broadening my skills as a photographer in an amature sense.
    I hike as often as i can mostly in wicklow as im based in kildare a stones throw away. I am already in the planning stages for bringing my wife on her first wicklow way from south to north this summer and would be delighted to offer any help you may need.
    So your looking for boots. Well everyone is different. Some have wide feet some have narrow feet some need more ankle support some prefer walking shoes to boots. I do prefer meindls as they are light weight and robust. Dont get tied down because there are loads to choose from. My best advice is to go shopping around the outlets in dublin and try on a few pairs and take the advice given to you by the guys in store. They will be able to tell you what pair will suit your foot shape.
    I cant stress enough that you wear them in on flat ground preferably around the house. My wifes two blistered heals will agree with me. I never like spending huge amounts of money and i always love a bargain. I find the crevit gear from aldi and lidl to be great value and do great for under layer garments that you can take off or on when needs be but for cold weather i stick to the tried and tested brands.
    If your planning on training in the mountains make sure you have the knowledge needed like basic map reading and navigation with a compass. Not really necessary on waymarked routes like the wicklow way but when on other routes off the trail its handy to have. I would be glad to help if needed.
    Finally in regards to kit give it time no need to go mad spending loads now. Im still picking up bits and bobs now and then and im always on the lookout for a bargain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Go into the great outdoors in Dublin and get your feet measured , then try on the different types of Meindls they have there,to see what is the most comfortable for you. I got the meindl vakuums, there a few years ago and still going strong after alot of use.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Nice to see someone setting a big goal for themselves.

If I was you, first thing I'd do is talk to a sports physio. If you've been overweight, you should get checked out and see whether there's any part of you that specifically needs to be strengthened or stretched. Niggling injuries can be frustrating and set you back weeks at a time.

Re Meindl boots. The Great Outdoors in Dublin is IMO the best place to go for proper expertise. Get your feet properly measured by them, and ask for advice on the type of boot that will suit your plan.

Most of the Meindl tend to be "full on" hiking boots - i.e. they're designed for use rough/boggy ground. The Wicklow Way is mostly solid track, so you might find that a stiff hiking boot is not ideal. You may end up buying two types of boots (or boots & trail runners) - one pair of Meindls for offroad sections, and another lighter boot for the tracks/roads.

The Vakuums mentioned above have a soft sole (deliberately), so will tend to wear out quickly on tracks/roads. Great boot however.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

Thanks guys,

With newbie, I meant newbie to mountain hiking. Been on the boards for a bit, but not a frequent poster.

As for walking, I have been in the Army for 12 years, and did my share of walking on army boots.

This is entirely new for me though, and I am going to start with flat 5k walks, and then up to 10k and then 15k. Then I will go back to 5k with a rucksack, probably 15 liters, and train up to 15k again. My goal is to walk 18k/day and finish the Wicklow Walk in 7 days.

Good advice on going to the store and get measured up. I know I have wide feet and a high dorsum.

Thanks,

PS: Snakedoc, if you have any questions on photography, just shoot :)

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭SNAKEDOC

Thanks for that. I might see you around the mountains in the near future. Best of luck with your training. Let us know how you get on and if you need more advice pm me or stick up a post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

First off, congrats on dropping the 11kg! And good luck with your goals they are very achievable in the time you have given yourself.

On the boots. I have meindle army pro, they are my hiking and hunting boot and go high up the leg. They are about 3 years old now and still look new after a polish and clean even though they have been well used. Never got wet in them and I can wear them all day and not have sore feet. €230 very well spent, when you break that down over the 3 years it is very little and I 0lan on still wearing them in another 3 years.

One thing no one else picked up on that I feel is worth mentioning. you said you Want to loose 50kg, that is alot of body fat in all areas of your body that you are looking to shift, including your legs, ankles and even feet. I think you would be better off starting with a cheaper pair of boots because you may find in 6 or 8 months time your €200 meindl boots are too big which would be a shame!

Would Wicklow Way in the summer really need boots at all? Would have thought they'd be a bit on the overkill side and end up getting sweaty and heavy and a bit of a drag. There are long stretches of the Kerry Way that are suitable for wearing runners on in the summer and heard WW was even less rugged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Conor could be right, though there are path sections on the Wicklow Way which are rocky and uneven underfoot. A bit of protection for the sole of your foot is no bad thing, which can be a problem with runners etc. The boots will be useful if you take to the hills away from the tracks anyway.

Edit to add: some nice shots on your website. That line of yew trees looks very like that at Huntingdon Castle in Clonegal, which I know well. Also there's a shot of the Sugarloaf with yellow gorse, furze or whins (take your pick!) in it adding colour - you label these as 'peaflowers'? Is this an American name for this plant?

BarryD wrote: »
    That line of yew trees looks very like that at Huntingdon Castle in Clonegal, which I know well.

I was there once myself.

Solas festival a few years ago. A Guy Called Gerald and a load of other DJs in a downpour and mud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Yes, after last summer we tend to forget the previous several damp ones!

• Advertisement
Advertisement