Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Tayto Popcorners

Options
  • 04-03-2014 10:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

What a disappointment. I've only tried the spicy tomato and cheese (there is also a chili and lime flavour).
    Tayto crisps have been going downhill for a while. they have increasingly been sacrificing quality in order to increase profits. Tayto snax is a prime example but even snaps, wheelies etc don't taste the same.

These new crisps are more of the same. They taste like tesco value tortilla chips and have no flavour whatsoever.

The big marketing idea tayto seems to pursuing is that its crisps are low-calorie etc etc

But they taste like ****, so I predict they won't sell.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I disagree, I think they're lovely.
    Have only tried the Cheese and Tomato and I think they're very different and tasty.
    They'll be going in my trolley on a regular basis!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

I quite like them. I don't like regular tayto crisps, but these taste unusual and are actually quite spicy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Koptain Liverpool

I'm guessing that both of you are girls and the real reason you like them is because they're low calorie.......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I'm guessing that both of you are girls and the real reason you like them is because they're low calorie.......

That's a bit stereotypical!

I am a girl and I like them for the flavour.
    My partner is diabetic, though, and likes them because they're low fat, so it's not just girls who like low-cal things!

Seriously though, I'm not one of those people who buys into a lot of low-fat food products cos I think the majority taste of nothing, but for me, the Popcorners did have a nice taste.

Maybe you got a bland batch?
    Have you tried the chilli and lime ones? I haven't yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Koptain Liverpool

fussyonion wrote: »
    That's a bit stereotypical!

I am a girl and I like them for the flavour.
    My partner is diabetic, though, and likes them because they're low fat, so it's not just girls who like low-cal things!

Seriously though, I'm not one of those people who buys into a lot of low-fat food products cos I think the majority taste of nothing, but for me, the Popcorners did have a nice taste.

Maybe you got a bland batch?
    Have you tried the chilli and lime ones? I haven't yet.

Fair enough :)

No haven't tried the others yet. I will give them a go though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

When they trial launched these last year they had different flavours. The butter ones were amazing, like butter popcorn. Sad they didn't make the cut!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

I've tried the Chilli and Lime flavour (I'm a bloke btw ;)) and think they are quite tasty. There certainly is a little kick off them. My main bugbear is the paltry amount in each packet. This is of course is the reason that they are able to say they are low in calories as there are only 20g in a packet. If they were 25g in size like a multi-pack packet of regular Tayto, they would have much the same calorific level.

It's all about the marketing...

Therefore I wouldn't worry about the spurious low calorie sh1te, on purely flavour terms, they are quite tasty and I will therefore kepp buying them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Tried them. Didn't like.

The texture was like a stale ricecake. The flavour was too powdery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭molly09

I had the chilli and lime flavour, i found they did have a bit of a kick from the chilli powder covering on the crisps but like the poster above said the texture is not very palatable to me. I would not be buying them again.
    I think the quality of tayto cheese and onion really depends on the time of year with the differences in the potato seasons. However I think there is also less consistency in the flavour concentration in bags. King crisps can also be hit and miss.

Advertisement