Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Elections 2014: What issues will you be raising with candidates on the door?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,635 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Can't we not just outlaw these posters? I mean, they don't actually inform anybody but are all over the place.

Surely the digital age we should be moving away from the old practice. There should be some allowed, but I would rather a number of posters on each road letting people know about upcoming elections and where to find information about candidates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Can't we not just outlaw these posters? I mean, they don't actually inform anybody but are all over the place.

Surely the digital age we should be moving away from the old practice. There should be some allowed, but I would rather a number of posters on each road letting people know about upcoming elections and where to find information about candidates.

I'd say the only way to outlaw it is to ban it totally. They inform of nothing other than name and face recognition - it's a human thing.

I don't know of a party or candidate who doesn't use them.

Again, to stop it would require legislation and beefier by-laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I'd say the only way to outlaw it is to ban it totally. They inform of nothing other than name and face recognition - it's a human thing.

I don't know of a party or candidate who doesn't use them.

Again, to stop it would require legislation and beefier by-laws.

Oh I dunno, they are very useful with an A4 page slapped onto them informing us of public meetings, to get in ahead of the poster moratorium, which from a passing car reads like

Joe Bloggs, Non - Party

Public Meeting on the Irish Economy - What the hell happened?

The A.N. Other Inn, Tuesday night

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

There have been signs for a plant sale in Castleknock (in one of the schools I think) up for couple of weeks and one of them has now been half covered by an election poster. I can't remember whose poster it is but if you're going to litter the poles with posters at least have a bit of respect for those who were there before you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

There have been signs for a plant sale in Castleknock (in one of the schools I think) up for couple of weeks and one of them has now been half covered by an election poster. I can't remember whose poster it is but if you're going to litter the poles with posters at least have a bit of respect for those who were there before you.

I think its for Castleknock Community College and the plant sale is on May 10th and 11th.

http://www.castleknockcc.ie/index.php/plant-sale-2014/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

The ESB were out in blanch village last night taking down posters from their poles

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

I guess it just shows the greed some of these policiticans have, littering everywhere with their information free mugshots, ignoring everybody's junk mail signs by posting more mugshots in our door. I know nothing about any of my local Tds, only what they look like and the fancy cars they drive.

What would you do for an 87k salary??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I doubt you're seeing any photos, or getting any junk, from your local TD. And most of the people you do see aren't even politicians at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

I would love to get leaflets to see what my politicians have done but we only get a leaflet from Varadkar every few months. Will not be giving a vote to any sitting councillor due to the fact they have not kept their constituents informed.

So far there is 15 confirmed candidates in Castleknock.
    3 for FG (Eithne Loftus, Ted Leddy and Henry Minogue),
    3 for FF (Mags Murray, Edward MacManus, and Jack Chambers),
    2 for the Anti-Austerity Alliance (Matt Waine and Sandra Kavanagh),
    1 for SF (Natalie Treacy),
    1 for Labour (John Walsh),
    1 for the Greens (Roderic O'Gorman),
    1 for People before Profit (Memet Uludag),
    1 for Direct Democracy Ireland (Robert Long),
    1 running for the Women of Ireland (Mary Martin),
    1 independent (TJ Clare).

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Finglas Incubus

New addition to the by-election mix, possibly a very strong contender:

http://www.thejournal.ie/david-hall-dublin-west-byelection-1432305-Apr2014/

• Advertisement

He was discussed earlier in this thread I think, I think people will be very split on him.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    He was discussed earlier in this thread I think, I think people will be very split on him.

In my opinion he is nothing more than a Twitter celebrity. There is a lot of questions he'll be asked to answer.

Clearly he has a few quid, and like many people who have a few quid, they have a massive sense of self importance.

Like all potential candidates, I'd like them to serve as a local elected rep before chancing their arm in an unforeseen by-election.

http://www.independent.ie/business/small-business/home-loan-hero-hall-gets-15m-from-lifeline-30138467.html

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    So far there is 15 confirmed candidates in Castleknock.
    3 for FG (Eithne Loftus, Ted Leddy and Henry Minogue),
    3 for FF (Mags Murray, Edward MacManus, and Jack Chambers),
    2 for the Anti-Austerity Alliance (Matt Waine and Sandra Kavanagh),
    1 for SF (Natalie Treacy),
    1 for Labour (John Walsh),
    1 for the Greens (Roderic O'Gorman),
    1 for People before Profit (Memet Uludag),
    1 for Direct Democracy Ireland (Robert Long),
    1 running for the Women of Ireland (Mary Martin),
    1 independent (TJ Clare).

Thanks for that. If anyone has the current list for Mulhuddart ward I'll add the two lists to the sticky at the top of the thread and update it as necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Polar101

athtrasna wrote: »
    The ESB were out in blanch village last night taking down posters from their poles

And in Clonsilla village as well, some of the posters were put up in really bad spots).

Zaph wrote: »
    Thanks for that. If anyone has the current list for Mulhuddart ward I'll add the two lists to the sticky at the top of the thread and update it as necessary.

Zaph, you might consider a by-election thread. It'll only be live for Three weeks and it would help separate the candidates from the locals, something that the electorate will no doubt need.

That's not a bad idea Chuck. I'll add one now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Mulhuddart Candidates:

4 for Anti-Austerity Alliance (Ruth Coppinger, Annette Hughes, Jimmy Keenan, and Bernadette Rynne
    3 for FG (Kieran Dennison, Maria McGrail, and Philip O’Callaghan),
    2 for FF (David McGuinness and Margaret Richardson),
    2 for Labour (Michael O’Donovan and Mary McCamley),
    2 for SF (Paul Donnelly and Edmond Lukusa),
    1 for People Before Profit (Louise Bayliss),
    1 independent (Lorna Nolan).

All names got from http://adriankavanaghelections.org/

OP updated to include the current candidates.

Sandra Kavanagh and Matt Waine of the AAA go on the naughty list. Waterville has not been taken in charge yet they postered the road by the Spar ie road is private not public. Not impressed!!

Not sure if it's the same two but got a shoddily printed notice in the letter box today talking about how these two heroes are going to stand by the people of Tyrrelstown being taken to court for non payment of management fees. No mention of what party they're with but blatant parasitic electioneering. I've never heard of them do anything in the area, most likely because they've never been, but are jumping on the usual bamndwagon for convenience sake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Apparently contarf village is poster free.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Polar101 wrote: »
    And in Clonsilla village as well, some of the posters were put up in really bad spots).

I noticed yesterday along the clonisilla road, from the village up towards the station the only posters where of Michael O'Donovan (LAB). There was a healthy mix of other candidates poster during the week, I suppose the others decided to take down there posters.

I have a list of questions which range from boarded up houses to separation of church and state to reproductive rights.

Morag wrote: »
    I have a list of questions which range from boarded up houses to separation of church and state to reproductive rights.

Boarded up houses fair enough but what response are you expecting from a potential Cllr on separation of church & state or reproductive rights? Whatever they say they have no ability to make any change either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The County Councils are doing a blitz of wrongly mounted posters, i.e. too low, on traffic signs/barriers or causing other obstruction.

Keep reporting them.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Larbre34 wrote: »
    The County Councils are doing a blitz of wrongly mounted posters, i.e. too low, on traffic signs/barriers or causing other obstruction.

Keep reporting them.....

I reckon they hate me at this rate.

Driving along the Ongar Road and the road off it up to Hartstown Road earlier I noticed that the Anti-Austerity Alliance have been anything but austere when it comes to their spending on posters, and they don't seem to care where they put them. Some of them are so low that they're barely a couple of feet off the ground. It's been bad in the past, but this year seems to be the worst I can remember for poster littering.

Jack Chambers posters gone up in Waterville. A council candidate who doesn't know the difference between a private road and a council road grrrrr

Boarded up houses fair enough but what response are you expecting from a potential Cllr on separation of church & state or reproductive rights? Whatever they say they have no ability to make any change either way.

We have seen the push for marriage equality being aided by motions passed by county councils up and down the country, that's why. Also if they go on to run for any other office it's handy to know.

• Advertisement

So you are going to vote for them based on a position they hold which may or not may be required in the future, rather than vote for them based on the job they are actually going for?

Advertisement