Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can't digest a pancake

Options
  • 04-03-2014 11:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭

Here I am again on a pancake Tuesday and my stomach is bloated and sore from eating pancakes. It happens every year. They just seem to get stuck there and take and age to digest.

Is there anything good to wash them down with? Or for future reference anything to eat with them to help the digestion?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Have you looked into why this is? Wheat allergy/gluten intolerance/dairy? Might want to do some investigation there.

As for what to wash it down with, sorry, can't help there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Gest

Gordon wrote: »
    Have you looked into why this is? Wheat allergy/gluten intolerance/dairy? Might want to do some investigation there.

As for what to wash it down with, sorry, can't help there!

No I haven't ever done anything but maybe was always a bit suspicious there could be an allergy. What is the best way of finding out?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I must admit, I'm not sure, sorry :( My Mum has a gluten intolerance so I'll ask her how she pinned it down. I asked my doctor if I had a lactose intolerance and she said that there weren't any tests, and that I'd need to do a food diary to pin the issue down. It's not a big issue for me so I didn't investigate much further.

Might want to try doing a food diary and speak to your doctor though, and before you go in, do a bit of reading up on gluten/wheat/lactose intolerances etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Have you tried making them with oat flour instead of wheat? You can turn porridge oats into flour in a food processor or blender.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Have you tried eating MORE pancakes to wash them down?

... Actually, wouldn't recommend it, tried it last night.... Uuhhh..

Actually have you tried protien pancakes? Ate a stack of them last night and didn't feel bloated. I made them like so:
    • 3 egg whites
    • 1 egg yolk
    • 1 banana
    • 1 scoop of protein powder
    • 1 tbsp of natural peanut butter
    • 1 pinch of cinnamon

Whack it all into a blender, blitz, should make a thick batter. Heat your pan to a medium heat, these take no time to cook and will burn easily. Pour into 6 inch pancakes, cook for about 40 seconds to a minute, flip and finish off the other side.

Key to them is not to overcook them, as the egg will turn tough and dry. Really should take a minute or less cooking time in total.

Serve with some sliced banana or maple syrup or blueberries or some extra natural peanut butter.

There's no flour or anything in them so they shouldn't make you feel stodgy with carbs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

You could make buckwheat flour pancakes (Brittany style galettes) as there is no gluten in buckwheat. Better for savoury pancakes though.

Advertisement