Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dáithí nó Dathaí

• 05-03-2014 12:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Dáithí nó Dathaí. Just wondering which one is correct. I've gotten back into learning Irish again and have been thinking about using the Irish version of my name. Not saying I'm going to change it officially or anything but I was writing my name earlier and was wondering which is correct or is it a regional difference. Growing up in Dublin I was taught that it was Dathaí until when I was in my early 20's got into an argument over the matter with a native speaking Gaelgoir named Dáithí. No surprise to guess who won the argument but I was wondering where my version came from. He said he'd never heard of it.

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I cannot find any reliable source for "Dáthaí" but it appears to just be a (relatively) common misspelling.

Certainly, "Daithí" is the Irish approximation for "David", another variant being "Dáibhí".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

Dáithí is what is said in Munster and the standard gives that translation as Davy. The vernacular, outside of Munster, is Dathaí or Daithí from what I hear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I know you want it narrowed down, but there is another possibility for you to consider: Dáibhí. One well-known (in Irish language circles, anyway) bearer of the name was Dáibhí Ó Brudair, the 17th century poet.

Advertisement