Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good Alarm to get?

• 05-03-2014 1:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Just looking to get a good alarm for the bike, what good alarm systems are there for the bike and where supply/fit them?

Used to have a Clifford system on the car that was fairly good, do they have one for bikes and if so and good? Those of you who have alarms what ones you using or what would you recommend?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Hey!

In my opinion alarms on bikes are useless against theft, but they are excellent at keeping away pokers, prodders and mammys that think its cool to put their child on the bike causing 250 euro worth of fairing damage. So, dont waste a lot of money on a 'top of the line' one, just get a cyclone V2 or latest equivalent and bring it to a mechanic to fit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Smithy101 wrote: »
    Just looking to get a good alarm for the bike, what good alarm systems are there for the bike and where supply/fit them?

Used to have a Clifford system on the car that was fairly good, do they have one for bikes and if so and good? Those of you who have alarms what ones you using or what would you recommend?

Cheers

I've had Meta* on all my bikes, bought both with the alarm fitted so don't know about costs. Got a decent discount on last bike when I told them it was fitted, they never asked what type of alarm it was when renewing and bad a different type on the proposal form.

The alarm should only be a part of your protection you still need good locks and somewhere to secure it to.

* Not too sure what type.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 625 ✭✭✭roadsmart

jameshayes wrote: »

Agreed, best value on the market by far, I have these on 3 bikes and never had a problem. They are easy to fit, but a word of advice; don't get the talking one, you'll want to beat it to death with a hammer after a week. The immobiliser feature is good too, but for safety's sake don't fit the remote start feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Smithy101

jameshayes wrote: »

Cheers pal, ye this looks like it'll do the job nicely. It's more just to keep away people sniffing around when I'm out and about. Have other good locking deceives on it but just lookin for something a little extra.

Cheers lads 👍

• Advertisement

roadsmart wrote: »
    Agreed, best value on the market by far, I have these on 3 bikes and never had a problem. They are easy to fit, but a word of advice; don't get the talking one, you'll want to beat it to death with a hammer after a week. The immobiliser feature is good too, but for safety's sake don't fit the remote start feature.

That's good to know, nice to hear it from someone who has it on their own bike. Agreed the talking one will be a no go! Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

Datatool Demon's the proper job, have one fitted to my MT-01, has never let me down & it's Thatcham approved...

http://datatool.co.uk/home/productsearch/vehicle-security?search=motorcycle+alarm

MonstaMash wrote: »
    Datatool Demon's the proper job, have one fitted to my MT-01, has never let me down & it's Thatcham approved...

http://datatool.co.uk/home/productsearch/vehicle-security?search=motorcycle+alarm

How much does one of these set you back? Also where did you pick yours up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

Smithy101 wrote: »
    How much does one of these set you back? Also where did you pick yours up?
    €80 eBay ;)

http://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313&_nkw=datatool+demon&_sacat=0&_from=R40

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

My alarm paid for itself many times over. Was at the counter in a Chinese waiting for my order, mate reckons he heard my alarm, stuck my head out the door and a W@*#*#r was just driving off having knocked over my bike when trying to park. Had to flag down a passing cop car to keep him there, cop ended up having me produce my license, tax and insurance:mad: . The guy was such an ass about it that I had the local bike shop go to town on the damage report, would have been happy replacing mirror, lever etc if he was reasonable. Got a cheque for near 2000 punts from his insurance in the end...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

SuperS54 wrote: »
    My alarm paid for itself many times over. Was at the counter in a Chinese waiting for my order, mate reckons he heard my alarm, stuck my head out the door and a W@*#*#r was just driving off having knocked over my bike when trying to park. Had to flag down a passing cop car to keep him there, cop ended up having me produce my license, tax and insurance:mad: . The guy was such an ass about it that I had the local bike shop go to town on the damage report, would have been happy replacing mirror, lever etc if he was reasonable. Got a cheque for near 2000 punts from his insurance in the end...

That's the way too treat lads like that😡😡
    What did ya get in the Chinese? Was it any good??

MonstaMash wrote: »

Ye think this is a winner, looks like the proper job.
    Cheers pal 👍

Advertisement