Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chemistry set

Options
  • 05-03-2014 2:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭

Trying to get a chemistry set for the kids but can't find one anywhere in cork. I thought the likes of smyths or argos would keep them but apparently not.

I don't want one of the insect or glow in the dark types, just an old fashioned test tube and experiment sort.

Suspecting that the health and safety police have killed them off....

Any ideas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

They sold out in all the toy shops when Breaking Bad came on tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Andip wrote: »
    Trying to get a chemistry set for the kids but can't find one anywhere in cork. I thought the likes of smyths or argos would keep them but apparently not.

I don't want one of the insect or glow in the dark types, just an old fashioned test tube and experiment sort.

Suspecting that the health and safety police have killed them off....

Any ideas

I'd be thinking that ebay or Amazon would be your best bet.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss/279-6268033-4408043?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Chemistry%20set

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Thames-Kosmos-CHEM-C500-Chemistry-Set-/201028540806?pt=UK_Construction_Toys_Kits&hash=item2ece3c1986

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Did you get one of these. My mum has one at home now I had a quick peek in it and it has a load of bits in it like the test tubes and that but not sure what else. If you were interested I can get pictures or do a full list, that and another one like a board thing that not sure now you connect loads of leads to something nerdy anywho haha

just looking the box looks like the Chemistry C500 set

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Andip wrote: »
    Suspecting that the health and safety police have killed them off.... Any ideas

Yes they have. And for about five years or more already. Shipping costs a packet, import cost a packet and then it might not arrive, but my microscopy materials arrive from the USA ~ great value seeing as one cannot get stuff locally.

I used to buy all I wanted down Anne Street ~ those were the days, an whilst I did blow up things, no one was ever hurt, except a little acid in my eye ~ which I already had the alkaline for the South Infirmary could do no more ~ nostalgia.

Shocking to see that the good old chemistry set is no more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Milly33 wrote: »
    Did you get one of these. My mum has one at home now I had a quick peek in it and it has a load of bits in it like the test tubes and that but not sure what else. If you were interested I can get pictures or do a full list, that and another one like a board thing that not sure now you connect loads of leads to something nerdy anywho haha

Not managed yet - the amazon ones are more like bug catchers etc....my son has firmly declared he wants to blow something up and has already asked if its true magnesium makes a flash when lit....not sure what they are teaching him in school but he's only 11 !.

The one you have sounds like one of the traditional ones I'm trying to find

I shall send you a message there.. Oh thats sounds like serious stuff from an 11 year you better get him something soon before he tries stuff out in the microwave. ah the good old days battery, fire boom.

All I can say is bad form Mr Andy.. If anyone would like a chemistry set tis'nt the one in the link but it is quite funky, has a mini bunson burner, test tubes and ingredients i suppose you would call them. There is a wire set thing too €10 bargin...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Iron Oxide Powder, Aluminium Powder and a few sparklers and you've got your fire... throw it all in a tight container and you've got your thermite bomb..... theoretically.... Who needs an expensive chemistry set :D

Advertisement