Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need advice on multimedia design plans...

Options
  • 05-03-2014 2:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hi,

We are renovating our home at the minute and will soon be starting our first fix electrical. I have done out a basic electrical plan including sockets and lights but need help thinking out the multimedia aspect of the design.

I will have an office room upstairs (dormer) and would like to manage my satellite tv (not sky just a cheap free-to-air box), broadband, a multimedia PC, and music from here.
    I want to be able to sit in my sitting room with tv remote, wireless keyboard and mouse and access the multimedia pc/HDD and play movies, music, surf internet etc and then be able to jump to watching tv.

I currently have this sort of system set up in my rented house using a tv, a PC, a hifi & speakers, a router and an external HDD. But the whole thing is a mess of wires and cables and im not sure how i could manage doing this remotely with a neat wall-mounted flatscreen..

1. Would a smart TV give me the functionality im looking for? yes for surfing but not for music movies etc on HDD

2. Would I be better networking the house? is this what CAT 5 cable does?

3. If i networked the house and hooked up a NAZ box could i access it from any network point? albeit not for surfing the internet..

4. Do smart TVs connect to networks?

5. What is your setup? how would you plan to manage media in your home/future house?

I know I'm not even thinking of some things that could be done so id appreciate any advice/comments/opinion please

Many Thanks,
    P

ps: The existing house will be re-wired completely so i have full control over new cabling, sockets etc...
    pps: i also dont want to go down the route of a universal multimedia manager type thing. Its just not what i think id use and id prefer the idea of being able to replace something cheaply down the line.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

yes
    wire network the house

afaik cat 6 is prob the way to go.. needs a more careful install though

it's not rocket science but you need to do a bit of homework

I wouldn't worry about smart tvs unless it's a standalone wall mount tv .. separate smart boxes do the same thing

Advertisement