Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aldi Motobike gear from Sunday 9th March

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

bladespin wrote: »
    I wouldn't put much trust in kevlar jeans regardless of what spec they were.

Yeah...I guess me neither. That said, I'd love to wear jeans rather than my textiles, if I felt they were as protective, or even 75% as protective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

rat_race wrote: »
    Looks like he's banned? Would love to know why :) ...

I was following this last year. He got a site ban because of the number of warnings, infractions and forum bans he accumulated. They who must be obeyed reckoned he was too much work for all the Mods/CMods/... that they got rid of him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭deegs

Posted this in another forum
    The only gear I have is a Waterford II jacket that used to fit 15 years ago...
    I need to buy everything...

So I'm wondering if the aldi stuff is really good value?
    Looking at old threads I found http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SHOX-SNIPER-FULL-FACE-MOTORBIKE-MOTORCYCLE-BIKE-SCOOTER-CRASH-HELMET-GHOSTBIKES-/380521917709?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Helmets&var=&hash=item975b6fcbe7
    Plenty there at the same price but with more options...
    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Ghostbikes-Store/Helmets-/_i.html?LH_TitleDesc=1&_nkw=%22YOU%20SAVE%3A%20%A3%22&rt=nc&_fsub=955247014&_sc=1&_sid=12433064&_sop=2&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1513&_pgn=3 also available from amazon for and has good reviews...
    Or for a little more a dual sport http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/THH-TX-26-TX26-DUAL-SPORT-MX-ENDURO-ADDITIONAL-VISOR-MOTO-X-MOTOCROSS-HELMET-/191085658575?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Helmets&var=&hash=item72269cbf0c

It's the same with the rest of the gear, aldi don't seem like too much of a bargain when compared to other cheap gear....
    Am I missing something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I am sorry and I will get dogs abuse for this....but ffs. Aldi are doing cheap helmets for €35 or so and people are moaning that they are not cheap enough, is that it or am I missing something here???? Is there no price point cheap enough that people consider the cut off point for protecting their heads!!!!!

Just my two cents but I would not put anything on my crust ANYWHERE near that price.....! I know this debate has been argued before ten times over but lads come on a helmet now for twenty something quid, whats it made from egg cartons filled with cadburys creme egg filling?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

rat_race wrote: »
    Yeah...I guess me neither. That said, I'd love to wear jeans rather than my textiles, if I felt they were as protective, or even 75% as protective.

Yeah, me too, not an attgatt eegit but at the same time I do try to be realistic, anything that can roll up in a slide isn't really safe, that said they'd be perfect for local spins ad far as I'm concerned (if only they made a smaller size leg :()

Wonda - price has very little to do with performance, you're not going to get Arai levels of performance for that money but at the same time they should be more than up to the job, after all we're not all racers so don't need that level of protection.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Advertisement

bladespin wrote: »

Wonda - price has very little to do with performance, you're not going to get Arai levels of performance for that money but at the same time they should be more than up to the job, after all we're not all racers so don't need that level of protection.

Yeah I get that, but seriously are you telling me that a €34 lid is good enough to protect anyone's head? I mean that is the selling price, the cost price would even be lower. Then there is the mark up......I mean it must have cost about €15 to make that helmet to be able to sell it at that price and make a profit!!

I am not on about everyone getting an Arai lid far from it.....as you mention racers (which I assume is road racers) which is a very very expensive sport which alot of them lads struggle to keep costs down and struggle to race. If them lids were up to the job then the racers would use them too would they not.

It all boils down to how highly you rate your own head. Surely there has to be a cut off point....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

Most, if not all the motorcycle protective equipment Aldi/Lidl sell has to meet TÜV standard as far as I know...open to correction though.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭bitburger

doing a 180 mile round trip on my bike every month or 2 at the minute. picking up some of the base layer and socks, always find my feet freezing when i get off, shame they dont have the undergloves they had before, used a set of 2 euro gloves and they dont offer much help.

anyone know which would be the warmer, base layer or compression underwear?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

bitburger wrote: »
    doing a 180 mile round trip on my bike every month or 2 at the minute. picking up some of the underwear and socks, always find my feet freezing when i get off, shame they dont have the undergloves they had before, used a set of 2 euro gloves and they dont offer much help.

Cold Killers under gloves are brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

The Biggest problem I have with Aldi and Lidl Helmets would be how bad the fit would be. The best helmet you can have is the one that fits your head after all. An Arai that's 3 sizes too big is gonna do more damage than a perfectly fitting Lidl/Aldi helmet.

But Aldi/Lidl Helmets aren't being bought by lads who know how to check fit properly, they're in general being bought by lads who are pretty cheap and looking for the best "Deal". It's only a good deal until you actually find a use for it between you and the ground.

I've a buddy who bought a lovely expensive jacket for himself because it looks lovely. Leather RST I think for 350 euro. He wears an Aldi Helmet.... because in his words "If I come off, I'm dead anyway".... the mind boggles. Especially given he's on a VN 500 and doesn't like speed or power on a bike.

My point, if I have a point, is that these helmets will suck mostly because the people using them won't properly check them for size... they'll think their right sized one is too tight so go a size or two bigger, which with a cheap helmet is dangerous as fook.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I bought the Aldi jacket and trousers for someone day.

I'm amazed at how different the are to what I remember. Their quality seems a lot better this year. There is protection pads all over them and the material feels very strong. If I hadn't a decent jacket and trousers I'd have no problem wearing their gear.

I tried on their gloves and they are really nice. Very comfy but they are only summer gloves. Again the quality of them feels a lot better than I have ever seen them do before.

I looks like they have a new line of bike gear. Their boots appear to be the same and I didn't look at the helmets.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭dunner515

Went up this morning and bought more than I expected
    Got the kevlar jeans, the gloves, the helmet (to have as a spare), the lock and chain and the alarmed disc lock
    Very good value for money I think

My current jacket and pants are 2 sizes too big for me and were both dirt cheap. I was hoping to get over to Aldi today to pickup a jacket and trousers but now fecking trapped home until at least 4pm.

Gonna leggit out later and hopefully grab them.

goodlad wrote: »
    My current jacket and gloves are 2 sizes too big for me and were both dirt cheap. I was hoping to get over to Aldi today to pickup a jacket and trousers but now fecking trapped home until at least 4pm.

Gonna leggit out later and hopefully grab them.

They seem to have a good bit of stock (in my local one anyway) so I'd say you'd have no problem picking them up later

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

I bought the Aldi jacket and trousers for someone day.

I'm amazed at how different the are to what I remember. Their quality seems a lot better this year. There is protection pads all over them and the material feels very strong. If I hadn't a decent jacket and trousers I'd have no problem wearing their gear.

I tried on their gloves and they are really nice. Very comfy but they are only summer gloves. Again the quality of them feels a lot better than I have ever seen them do before.

I looks like they have a new line of bike gear. Their boots appear to be the same and I didn't look at the helmets.

Is that you, Paddy???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Just home from aldi, I picked up the neck warmer and a paddock stand. Thinking about it now I might go back for the gloves for the summer! There was about 6 bikes parked outside the door too so plenty of interest in the gear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

I got the gloves. Seem to be good value. Try them on as they're small compared to my current gloves.

Checked out the jacket too. Looks pretty OK for the price. Waterproof is rated 10,000mm which means its waterproof for light-medium rain so I didn't bother with it.

The jeans look like they're from a bargain basement sale, didn't appeal to me!

I had a good root around just now in Aldi. I just grabbed the base layers and I couldn't rest the thermal onsie in the clearance section.. Haha.

I grabbed a neck warmer too just to have a spare. I checked out the jacket but it just feels really thin. I can't see it keeping me warm so I didn't bother.

For the price of the jacket and pants I would prefer to dig around the racks in cotters for a bargain.

The jacket and the trousers seemed very thin to me so would rather buy more of a known brand, but hey that's just me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

aaakev wrote: »
    Just home from aldi, I picked up the neck warmer and a paddock stand. Thinking about it now I might go back for the gloves for the summer! There was about 6 bikes parked outside the door too so plenty of interest in the gear

How did the paddock stand work out? Is your bike now in the upright position or is the stand in the canal? :pac:
    Was thinkin of getting one, but the TDM is possibly too big, so didn't bother.

Got the compression underware and as tuco says :

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,391 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Yeah I get that, but seriously are you telling me that a €34 lid is good enough to protect anyone's head?

Yeah, it has to meet Euro regulations to be legally on sale.

When the SHARP tests first came out a few years back, there was no correlation at all between cost and performance.

Scrap the cap!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Was supposed to go earlier but did not make it, might head up now. Hope there is still stuff left!

Edit: Ah shyte its closed :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,686 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Got the Kevlar jeans for the summer, I already have a pair but it's black so good to have a blue pair too. They dont appear to have any hip pads which is a bit of a disappointment but I suppose you're already taking a bit of a risk wearing jeans in the first place....got one of the neck warmers too and it's pretty decent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I had a good root around just now in Aldi. I just grabbed the base layers and I couldn't rest the thermal onsie in the clearance section.. Haha.

I grabbed a neck warmer too just to have a spare. I checked out the jacket but it just feels really thin. I can't see it keeping me warm so I didn't bother.

For the price of the jacket and pants I would prefer to dig around the racks in cotters for a bargain.

What's the neck warmer like? Is it the big thick fleece type, or the thinner windproof material one? Wouldn't mind the windproof type one.

(And pics of you in the onsie btw)

Cienciano wrote: »
    What's the neck warmer like? Is it the big thick fleece type, or the thinner windproof material one? Wouldn't mind the windproof type one.

(And pics of you in the onsie btw)

Its the thin windproof type. I generally throw on 3 of them to do the job.

The Onsie.....

13041966345_be2f88432e_c.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

The Onsie.....

13041966345_be2f88432e_c.jpg

Haha ya sexy f**ker!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

NSFW Goodlad!!
    Although I'm feeling pretty ninja like in my compression undies. Now where's me camera? Ma!

The Onsie.....
    LOL on that pic! Surprised you didn't stuff a pair of socks down the front :pac:

How much for the neck warmers?

Cienciano wrote: »
    LOL on that pic! Surprised you didn't stuff a pair of socks down the front :pac:

He did...two pairs....LMFAO :D:D

• Advertisement

Picked up a neck warmer. The thin windproof type as goodlad said. Great quality for €7. Goes under the jacket, wont be any leaks, I'll test it tomorrow.
    I'd post a picture of me wearing nothing but the neckwarmer, but probably be banned for it :(

Advertisement