Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aldi Motobike gear from Sunday 9th March

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

^^
    Nope but if I were to buy them I'd likely get them from Amazon for a tenner cheaper and for their returns policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

galwaytt wrote: »
    You better not read MCN pullout on helmets this week then. ...... No correlation between helmet price and protection ....

My advice, for what it's worth, would be,whatever helmet you buy, make sure it fits your head properly.
    No point spending €600 and the helmet is tight near the base and loose at the top of your head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

blade1 wrote: »
    My advice, for what it's worth, would be,whatever helmet you buy, make sure it fits your head properly.
    No point spending €600 and the helmet is tight near the base and loose at the top of your head.

Best helmet advice there is ^^^^^

The cheapest helmet that fits will do a better job than the most expensive one that doesn't.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

You better not read MCN pullout on helmets this week then. ...... No correlation between helmet price and protection ....

I dont need to defend myself in relation to helmets mate.....MCN will push everything and anything for a 1st scoop or advertisment revenue. And dont get me started on that SHARP 5 Star rating shoite!! Its a well known flawed system...

I dont mind lads riding around in €40 helmets each to their own as long as they are comfortable. Hopefully they will never need to see "what there made off" so to speak.

Just my 2cents. ;)

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    I dont mind lads riding around in €40 helmets each to their own as long as they are comfortable. Hopefully they will never need to see "what there made off" so to speak.

Just my 2cents. ;)

Bar the composite stuff (way ott for general road riding) they're all pretty much made of the same stuff.

• Advertisement

bladespin wrote: »
    Bar the composite stuff (way ott for general road riding) they're all pretty much made of the same stuff.

True, to a degree Yes. But its about layers the more layers the stronger the helmet...and more importantly what is "sandwiched" between the individual layers makes the helmet strongert. Take Arai for example, I highly doubt it takes 20 man hours to make every individual Aldi helmet!!!!

Yes alot of the cost comes down to venting and weight not to mention styling and custom paint jobs on more expensive lids.

I am not a snob or the like, mate of mine got a HJC lid for €150 euro at the NEC show and I would wear that no probs! Its just I would not wear that cheap **** on my head.....

True, to a degree Yes. But its about layers the more layers the stronger the helmet...and more importantly what is "sandwiched" between the individual layers makes the helmet strongert. Take Arai for example, I highly doubt it takes 20 man hours to make every individual Aldi helmet!!!!

Me too but again, those are racing lids, great things altogether but way beyond what would be required for a commuter through Dublin traffic for example, the Aldi etc lids aren't layered composites, they're plastic shelled with Styrofoam padding, these type of helmets are entry level but fine for the job, you could spend 5 times the price for a very similar lid, price has little to do with quality.

Very handy 101 piece and 81 piece tool kits in LIDL today......only a tenner. Wont last you ten years but very handy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,391 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

From Thursday Lidl have chain cleaner spray and chain lube (with 'car care' printed on the labels :rolleyes:) No idea if it's any good or not. Cheap but cans look very small.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

the chain cleaner is very good stuff, i buy as many as i can carry every time it comes in! thanks for the heads up ninja!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

My usual considerations are 'fit & price', I don't think I've ever pain more than €140 for a helmet.

Even at that I usually wear an open face lid.

On the subject, here's my usual lid ~ I haven't seen another like it so if you see it give me a nod :)

299303.jpg

299304.jpg

^^^^

:D

My usual considerations are 'fit & price', I don't think I've ever pain more than €140 for a helmet.

On the subject, here's my usual lid ~ I haven't seen another like it so if you see it give me a nod :)

299303.jpg

299304.jpg

Bikeworld have a few open face jobbies very very similar if not the same.

Were you rootin in the skip outside wonda? :D
    Sorry Mak!

Were you rootin in the skip outside wonda? :D
    Sorry Mak!

I would if I knew Id get away with it....but ya know me if it aint €500 or so I would not put it on me :D

Bikeworld have a few open face jobbies very very similar if not the same.

I bought it there a few years back and haven't seen one worn outside since.

I can't get used to full face lids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,686 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Would you not worry about the damage to your jaws, nose and teeth in the event of an accident ? I've a flip helmet and I do prefer having it open though I feel a bit safer if it's down

You will when you get a smack of a low flying seagull :eek::eek: ;)

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Would you not worry about the damage to your jaws, nose and teeth in the event of an accident ? I've a flip helmet and I do prefer having it open though I feel a bit safer if it's down

I never think about it tbh, it wouldn't be a consideration for me at all.

I have two full face helmets which are rarely used, I only really bought them because I liked the designs!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Muahahaha wrote: »

I changed to a flip helmet about 5 years ago and much prefer them to full face. I definitely would not ride fast with it flipped up though.

• Advertisement

Blondie919 wrote: »
    I changed to a flip helmet about 5 years ago and much prefer them to full face. I definitely would not ride fast with it flipped up though.

I don't like the flip helmets at all.

I've a pull down visor on my lid which I'd have to use at speeds over about 180kph.

Also, I bought the motorbike cover. Looks grand for €9.99. And it fits the bike no problem even with the frame for the top box. The last cover I bought from a motor accessory shop didn't fit fully over the bike, and was dearer than the Aldi one.

I don't like the flip helmets at all.

I've a pull down visor on my lid which I'd have to use at speeds over about 180kph.

I never liked the open faced lids, I just felt too exposed. I had a full face for years until I found the flip lids. Haven't looked back since.

The Shark Evoline 3 is a great flip up lid....anything below 100kph and you are grand. Then above flip it down......very good and excellent viewing angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

I wouldn't bother with cheap covers, got one ages ago and binned it. What you want is one with thick material and elasticated with a clip that will loop under the bike to stop it blowing off.
    I got an oxford stormex which is admittedly pricey, but is a brilliant bit of kit. Buy cheap buy twice!

Link €91 stg and €3.50 postage parcel motel

got to agree, unless you are only using it inside, the covers are usless

got to agree, unless you are only using it inside, the covers are usless

Not so...I have 2 covers I bought nearly 3 yrs ago and they are perfect. The two of them cost me €25. One in Lidl and one in argos. Bike is outside 100% and not a mark on it. Bungee cord on top for the windy night and sorted. €100+ for a cover is mental IMHO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,391 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

ninja900 wrote: »
    From Thursday Lidl have chain cleaner spray and chain lube (with 'car care' printed on the labels :rolleyes:) No idea if it's any good or not. Cheap but cans look very small.

Got a couple of cans of the chain cleaner, 300ml so not small at all (thought it said 200 on the website.)
    Didn't get the chainlube as I prefer chain wax. Well, I really prefer a scottoiler but mine is busted at the moment and I haven't got around to fixing it yet :(

Scrap the cap!

€100+ for a cover is mental IMHO

Ah but does the aldi one have a solar panel and fleece lining? The oxford one was used by nassa to protect the shuttle when it was lying up!
    (i'd say)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

299303.jpg

299304.jpg
    Nice lid, do they have a mens version? :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement