Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pool Length for training

Options
  • 05-03-2014 7:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭

I live in a compound with a pool which is 22m, I don't push or kick off the wall, is it long enough to train in?

There is s 50m across town however it costs a bomb and doesn't open early. There is always the ocean on the door step however I am not confident enough and I want to avoid the sharkies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Are you training for anything in particular ?

Reason I ask:

IF you are training for pool competition, it is best to train in the length pool you will compete in. It helps for stroke count, comparison times, turning distances, breathing patterns etc.

If you are training for general fitness, 22m is fine. just don't push and glide half-way along the pool, but it sounds like you've figured that out.

If you are training for open water, I'd be hitting the 50m pool a few times a week, and the ocean at least once a week (if patrolled, never ever alone) Reasoning behind this is getting used to fatigue and oxygen debt, straight line swimming, sighting, breathing both sides, wave actions, rips etc.
    In between those targeted sessions, the 22m pool will be fine for working on LME and technique/efficiency training, again watch that you don't start milking the turns and try and build up the distances.

Have Fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭Jude13

Cheers, i am trying just to get fit, would love to do a half IM in about 18 months or so. I did two sprints three years ago but have since had a few operations. I had my achillies done in November 13 so way off any form of jogging for another 3-6 months. My house mate is doing two half IM's this year so I am jealous.

I am using a kick board and pool bouy to make it a little tougher and reading books on technique. I can't really afford to join the club (hotel) that has the 50m pool so I will plod along for a while. I am still just getting back into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Jude13 wrote: »
    I had my achillies done in November 13 so way off any form of jogging for another 3-6 months. .....
    I am using a kick board and pool bouy to make it a little tougher and reading books on technique. I can't really afford to join the club (hotel) that has the 50m pool so I will plod along for a while. I am still just getting back into it.

re: achilles op - ouch, glad to hear youre on the mend
    re: Pool length is fine, go often (if you're still not running) - 2 lengths of each (swim, kick, pull, swim) over and over is a great warm up or set.
    re: from a book ... dangerous since any bad habits you have that are slowing you down will be more difficult to fix later but keeping costs down is smart for now.

Enjoy it ... perhaps at the end of your swim session, you might walk backwards up and down the pool as a cool down to loosen the achilles and calves. Im not giving any unsolicited medical advice but its a nice easy way to cool down and its always good to look at things differently ;)

Again, enjoy ... and yep, a bigger pool would be great but if you've cheap/free access to a 22m pool .. have at it ... just do more lengths ;)

Cheers for the reply, I am finding muscles that I never knew I had get sore. It is the only thing I can do exercise wise that I can push myself. I am just cruising on the bike as my leg is still mending.

I will try out the walking in the pool, it is chest height its entire length which is handy plus its less than a min walk from the back door. I used to be up at all hours of the morning when i live in Ireland as a kid being ferried to Guinness pool in town before school. I should be in this pool everyday!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

swim more with bands and suddently the pool will feel much longer ;-)

many swimmers in US train in 25 yard pools which is some 22.75 m.so not a big issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

Where do you live?

A cheaper option could be to join a triathlon club and take advantage of their swimming sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

i just want to know more about the compound

"swim more with bands" bands??

Its more an estate with barriers (just installed) and security, compound is a throw back to when I got here first, it just and estate really. I'm in the Sultanate of Oman

There is a tri-athlon club but they train individually and hold a few tiny events which are really beginner friendly which is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

"swim more with bands" bands??

He means tie your legs together with a rubber band. And then swim. Some also use a pull buoy.

Depending on your level of swimming this could be an excellent idea or a terrible one.

I use a pool buoy already and love the thing. I am going to do some serious training this week, I just need to build up endurance and stop stopping every 4 lengths.

• Advertisement

I'm the Sultan of Oman

thats how i originally read the sentence.
    i prefer my dyslexic version

Ha, I think the pool on his yacht is bigger than the pool I use.

dont ruin it !!!!

Sorry ok I am him (I dont want to say the name as the net monitored). My next decree is to give lazy overweight guys/gals personal tri trainng and throw a few 50m pools around the place.

The tour of Oman will run weekly and all this will be funded by selling one of the massive yachts I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

I use a pool buoy already and love the thing. I am going to do some serious training this week, I just need to build up endurance and stop stopping every 4 lengths.

Ok then forget about the bands for some time . if you stop every 4 lenght , i would say at this stage it looks like that a shorter pool is even better for you.than the more expensive 50 m pool ( unless of course their is a swim squad using the 50m pool than i would join if you are serious about your swimming

since you are in oman are you hunting down sea pirates ???

I haven't done much swimming in the last year or so and it takes its toll on me. Have bad shoulder and newly refurbished achillies so I am useless.

The pirates tend to hang around the other end of the country so its all good here.

As a side note, is there an optimal temperature range for swimming? The air temp here is hitting 30 now and the pool is like a cup of tea, not exactly refreshing and I am parched and sweating after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mr Tango

http://www.swimming.org/britishswimming/swimming/womens-profiles/hannah-miley/569/

This girl trains in a 25m pool and is one of the best distance swimmers in the world - I think anything over 20 is alright for us lot,.

Ive started training in a 20m and its much better than the congested 25 I used to swim in.

Advertisement