Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

One Simple Curly Girl Hairstyle, PLEASE!

• 05-03-2014 11:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭

I'm going out of my mind trying to come up with nice ways to do my wavy / curly hair. It's driving me bonkers at the moment. I just don't know what to do with it and end up wearing it down most days - which isn't the most flattering when it's frizzy or the curl doesn't 'go right'!

I'd love one, just one, easy-to-do hairstyle that can be quick to do in the mornings. I'm not one for styling and usually like to wash and go, letting my hair dry naturally.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd really appreciate it. My hair is shoulder length and quite thick.

HALP!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭KGLady

I'm a curly too, so I know the pain of the days when its either frizz or wonky curl patterns, but could you maybe clarify what sort of styling you need? In the absence of a definite idea of what you need I'll tell you some of my go-to for tricky hair days. Mine is just below shoulder length too.

If mine has some slept on fuzz that isn't coming around easily, or my trouble spot for curl patterns on the sides of my head, are being weird, I'll use some plain hair pins and do a slight off centre part and then pin the curls at both sides (above my ears) but give a slight push forward so its not flat to my head and has some shape. To try explain it, I'll put my thumb into the hair behind my ear and scoop up the bunch of curls at the front, wiggle it forward a little and pin it with two crossed over bobby pins. It leaves the rest of the lower layers of curls loose but keeps it off my face and it looks a bit tidier. A bit of curl jelly then keeps it tidy. And I use the biiiiiig long hair pins from boots.

I also love a wide grip or clip (again boots are great, sometimes Pennys or Dealz will also have ones for really thick hair and I tend to buy a few!) and I'll tidy the front parting, then just grab the whole lot fairly low as if doing a pony and instead turn it upside down and roll it a little and slap in a grip or a spring loaded flat clip. It pins it like a sort of messy french roll with the curls sort of falling back down over the clip for the most part so that its not visible and it looks like pinned up curls. A few shorter wispy curls usually come free around my face and at the back of my neck, but that kind of softens it and I'll again use curl jelly on it. This is me most days tbh.

Also some days its easier to have it all up off my face and I'll do a high up pony on the back of my head, if the curls are in good shape I'll leave it at that, if they aren't I'll either pin the ends or loop the bobbin back over the tail so that it becomes like a sort of a ruffled curl bun, and I'll shove a pin or two into it just to keep it in place. If I dont want this too look too harsh I'll loosen the front a little after the bobbin goes in and leave some volume so that the hair on top isnt flattened right down onto my skull - somehow with the rest of my hair being big, that always makes my head look weird :P

Hope some of that helps. Mostly for me having good long pins, grips/clips that can take thick hair and a few strong bobbins is the main thing. After that its just mucking about to see what suits your face shape and curl patterns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Pippy1976

KGLady wrote: »
    could you maybe clarify what sort of styling you need?

Styling for me means the bare minimum... some simple 'do' that I can pin up in the mornings. The link that @ams provided? Let's just say those would be difficult for me to achieve!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭KGLady

http://youtu.be/tvM3uDM_Hw0?t=4m

How about this - starting from 4mins in to skip the wet>product>scrunching stuff. Basic pony with volume at the front and then the ends pinned to give a nice tidy effect that looks like an updo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Pippy1976

KGLady wrote: »
    http://youtu.be/tvM3uDM_Hw0?t=4m

How about this - starting from 4mins in to skip the wet>product>scrunching stuff. Basic pony with volume at the front and then the ends pinned to give a nice tidy effect that looks like an updo.

Thanks a million. Her hair is gorgeous. Mine's not as nice as that and MUCH shorter. Also, I should've added that I don't use hair ties on my hair due to breakage across the back. I don't go anywhere without my Croc Clip. That seems to pin it back nicely but I'd like to embrace the curls a 'little' bit more by leaving it down but tying little bits up with clips: half-up / half-down!

That video is great though. thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭miss-p

I would have thick curly hair too and on those nightmare hair days I either do a side plait or do twists and either leave it down or tie it back in a bun or pony.
    Kind of like this or this.

The other thing I do is the side plait. I used to have a fringe and when it was growing out it drove me nuts, so I learned to do a side fringe plait. I can do it in less than 5 minutes, I don't care if it's too messy (I pretend its supposed to look like that). It took me a bit of practice to get the hang of it but it's super handy to do.

Advertisement