Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to from Clarehall to Whitehall?

Options
  • 05-03-2014 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

I've just sold my car so driving isn't an option, plus the traffic would probably be too much.

I'll have to drop my little girl to play school in Clarehall estate itself (we only live over by northern cross so I'll walk her over), then I'll have to get to Whitehall. Two buses seems mad when it's not really that far, is there a solution I'm not thinking of?
    I might get a bike? Or a time machine because we both start at nine, but I could talk to the playschool about starting her at 8.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Where abouts in Whitehall do you need to get to? You could always take a bus down the Malahide Road and get off at Copeland Avenue and walk passed Ard Scoil Rís.

Or get off at Donnycarney church and walk up Collins Avenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭CarMe

It's Plunket college just across from the Regency. Yeah I thought about one bus and walking too but not sure how I'd be fixed for time. If I start her at 8am I'll have an hour to get there. The traffic can be dreadful on the Malahide Road though, do you think it's doable?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

CarMe wrote: »
    It's Plunket college just across from the Regency. Yeah I thought about one bus and walking too but not sure how I'd be fixed for time. If I start her at 8am I'll have an hour to get there. The traffic can be dreadful on the Malahide Road though, do you think it's doable?

Hmm, the Collins Avenue walk would take about 25 minutes (I think). With bus lanes all the way down the Malahide road I think you'd make the journey from Clarehall to Plunket in an hour - depending on how long you're waiting for a bus really.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,734 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Bus wise, I'm afraid that you would have to either:

1) Take a 15, 42 or 43 to Griffith Avenue and walk
    2) Take a 15, 42 or 43 to Donnycarney Church and then a 14 along Collins Avenue and walk from Beaumont Road.

Google maps suggests the second option will take about 45 minutes.

lxflyer wrote: »
    Bus wise, I'm afraid that you would have to either:

1) Take a 15, 42 or 43 to Griffith Avenue and walk
    2) Take a 15, 42 or 43 to Donnycarney Church and then a 14 along Collins Avenue and walk from Beaumont Road.

Google maps suggests the second option will take about 45 minutes.

Aw thank you! The second option is probably best alright, going to be a bit of a rush either way but seems it definitely doable :)

• Advertisement

Use google maps or download the NTA National Journey Planner app for smartphones - it's very useful for planning these sort of trips.

The NTA planner is also at www.a-b.ie

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Another possibility might be a bus down the Malahide road to Cadbury's - the 17a to Santry and walk or another bus from there. It depends on timing of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Wow isn't it a sad indictment of Dublin Bus that a 7km journey takes 45-60 minutes.
    Cars are expensive to run but sometimes you can't put a price on time and convenience. Google estimates €1.25 in fuel costs for Clarehall to Whitehall, I don't even think you'd get a single fare on Dublin Bus for that, don't mind two. And if you have to get two buses then you'll need to spend even more on tickets.

If you were doing that 5 days a week it could get more expensive throughout the year than buying a workhorse of a car like a Corolla for €1500, tax and insurance for another €1k, cheap and plentiful parts and excellent fuel economy. Plus the convenience with a a kid of going where you want when you want rather than stood in the cold waiting on delayed buses that can often not arrive according to the bus timetable or sometimes just not show up at all.

In my experience depending on Dublin Bus to be in X location at Y time will have you pulling your hair out, I'd think very carefully about giving up a car for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Chem Lord

Take the 15, 42 or 43 to donnycarney church and get the 14 across from the church. Get off at the junction before the bingo hall and walk 5 minutes to plunkets. Fastest way IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Chem Lord wrote: »
    Take the 15, 42 or 43 to donnycarney church and get the 14 across from the church. Get off at the junction before the bingo hall and walk 5 minutes to plunkets. Fastest way IMO.

OMG. Are you *whispers* network Noel?!

OP this is your best option IMO.

• Advertisement

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Wow isn't it a sad indictment of Dublin Bus that a 7km journey takes 45-60 minutes.
    Cars are expensive to run but sometimes you can't put a price on time and convenience. Google estimates €1.25 in fuel costs for Clarehall to Whitehall, I don't even think you'd get a single fare on Dublin Bus for that, don't mind two. And if you have to get two buses then you'll need to spend even more on tickets.

If you were doing that 5 days a week it could get more expensive throughout the year than buying a workhorse of a car like a Corolla for €1500, tax and insurance for another €1k, cheap and plentiful parts and excellent fuel economy. Plus the convenience with a a kid of going where you want when you want rather than stood in the cold waiting on delayed buses that can often not arrive according to the bus timetable or sometimes just not show up at all.

In my experience depending on Dublin Bus to be in X location at Y time will have you pulling your hair out, I'd think very carefully about giving up a car for them.

It's impossible to have public transport for every orbital journey due to the fact that the majority of individual trips are different.

How many people wish to go from Clare Hall to Whitehall for example?

The OP can get a Travel 90 card and pay €2.75 per trip.

I know I picked the worst time to sell the car but I'm not working at the moment (hence going back to college) and just couldn't justify the expense anymore when outside the door I have buses to town, the south side, portmarnok, malahide, swords etc. Just not Whitehall unfortunately :(

I can't say I'll begrudge the cost really because I can get a rambler and it'll be well used for other journeys too.

I'll do a few test runs but that sounds like the best plan thank you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

sullivlo wrote: »
    OMG. Are you *whispers* network Noel?!

OP this is your best option IMO.

Howiya lads. Have to love Network Noel.

network-noel-1-1024x576.jpg

I know I picked the worst time to sell the car but I'm not working at the moment (hence going back to college) and just couldn't justify the expense anymore when outside the door I have buses to town, the south side, portmarnok, malahide, swords etc. Just not Whitehall unfortunately :(

I can't say I'll begrudge the cost really because I can get a rambler and it'll be well used for other journeys too.

I'll do a few test runs but that sounds like the best plan thank you!

Use the NTA national journey planner app and the Dublin Bus app - they will make your life easier!!

lxflyer wrote: »
    Use the NTA national journey planner app and the Dublin Bus app - they will make your life easier!!

Just downloaded it, Oh my God it's fantastic! Been putting in random places I want to go, farms etc that I thought wouldn't really be possible on public transport, most of the journeys are under an hour and no hanging around. Thanks a million!

Just bear in mind that buses can get held up in traffic, so if your journey has a connecting service, there's always that potential pitfall!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,040 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Clarehall to whitehall sounds perfect for a bike ...20mins? (i don;t cycle)

Yeah Google maps says 27mins which would be brilliant, free and I'd get some exercise in.
    I'm just a bit of a wimp, I can't see myself actually on the busy trafficy roads. As ridiculous as that sounds

• Registered Users Posts: 21,040 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Yeah Google maps says 27mins which would be brilliant, free and I'd get some exercise in.
    I'm just a bit of a wimp, I can't see myself actually on the busy trafficy roads. As ridiculous as that sounds
    the reason i mentioned it is it's a fairly straightforward cycle, it's perfect. Definitely an option to think about. You could even leave the bike at home, sort out the child, go home and get the bike..and off ya go!

Advertisement