Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat chewing cables!

• 05-03-2014 12:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭

Anyone have some advice on this?

My cat has always had a grá for the cables but we recently moved and it is getting worse (she is there about 3 or 4 weeks now). I know it is really just attention seeking (my cat would have me at her side 24/7 being her slave if she had her way!), but nothing is working!

She only does it when my boyfriend is trying to work at the computer or with the forbidden charger cables that are literally like manna from heaven to her! Left to her own devices or just there with me the computer is left quite well alone! The brat!

Stopping to play with her/distraction, the clapping and saying NO!, tone of voice change and removing her from the area don't work.

I have looked into sprays but after research they don't seem very successful.

Please help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I have used a SSSCAT deterrent spray to stop one of our cats from jumping up on the kitchen counter tops. It's only gone off twice that I know of, in other words when it's woken me up in the middle of the night!, but I leave it in place anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Would cable tidies/ spiral binding put her off?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭BeatNikDub

Nope! And it is kind of impossible to have all of them completely hidden, my boyfriend has a lot of equipment! And most of the time she leaves alone, it is just when he is working and therefore not paying her ALL of his attention so she gets in there and chews and puts her ass in his face etc.
    I think any cat owner will know the way! Little lovable rogues!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭gumbo1

OP there's a product called FELIWAY, Pretty sure it can be gotten in most pet shops but it is available on Zooplus.com. It releases natural pheromones and stops them being so destructive. I used it when we moved an s j e was scratching the life out of the furniture, bout 3 days later it stopped. Hope this helps.

Thank you so much! Yes I have heard of that.
    Will certainly try.
    Fingers crossed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

A slap will work wonders. Try remembering this is a cat, not a person. A cat should know it's place . If you can't control a bloody cat what can u control ....unreal

Mod note: User banned

Crikey!
    I would never strike my cat. Poor lil squee!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Believe me slaps don't work on cats. Sometimes I will give my guys a little pat on the bum in a playful way when I give out to them and they just turn around and give head boops or bite me :P I got one of those anti chew sprays when my guys were determined to eat the Xmas tree before, it really worked wonders they hated it! Would it be possible to spray the wires with it? Just make sure you wash your hands after touching it because if you eat with it on your hands...bleugh :P

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭robjones1981

a little bit of lemon juice on the parts of the cables she can get at could quickly make her remember to stay away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

Have you tried changing your boyfriend ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭preytec

what if you paint the anti nail biting stuff onto the cables?
    http://www.amazon.com/Mavala-Stop-Biting-Sucking-0-3-Fluid/dp/B0000YUXI0
    i'm sure you can get it or something like it, in your local shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

There is a type of plastic cable cover that comes in various lengths and a couple of different widths - got it myself about two years ago when we looked after a kitten for a short while, very easy to fit Can't remember the name of it, think I got it from the US, and then found that I could also buy it in the UK!

Try searching for 'protecting electric cables from pets' or somesuch. If I remember correctly, it's also coated in a lemony scent. It's really difficult to stop kittens messing with cables and getting into awkward corners near sockets etc :D

preytec wrote: »
    what if you paint the anti nail biting stuff onto the cables?
    http://www.amazon.com/Mavala-Stop-Biting-Sucking-0-3-Fluid/dp/B0000YUXI0
    i'm sure you can get it or something like it, in your local shops.

I was thinking of this!
    Vile stuff!

Have you tried changing your boyfriend ?

Nope, no way!

Thank you everyone for your help :)

BeatNikDub wrote: »
    Nope, no way!

Said would mention it just in case the cat outranked him. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

I was thinking of this!
    Vile stuff!

Eh, I'd be careful using stuff that's meant to deter humans, you could end up poisoning your cat! They can have very adverse reactions to even mildly 'toxic' substances that wouldn't usually bother humans :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Nelly 21

We've had the same problem with an attention seeking cat!!!! It is all about them you know!!!! Nothing we seemed to do could stop him only keeping him away from cables. Like yours, my cat likes to keep close (even sits outside the toilet wondering why I closed the door!!). Sometimes when he would go towards wires I would clap my hands loudly and shout no at him. As he hates noise he would stop (but then just move the wire and see what happens!!). Soon if he was at cables and I clapped he'd look at me and (mostly) stop!

Its frustrating but all we do is keep a closer eye on him and keep him away from wires. They're playful and like attention and as annoying as they are, that's one of the reasons we love them!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

iora_rua wrote: »
    Eh, I'd be careful using stuff that's meant to deter humans, you could end up poisoning your cat! They can have very adverse reactions to even mildly 'toxic' substances that wouldn't usually bother humans :eek:

The stuff used to stop horses cribbing should have the same effect, can't think of the name of it, I know people use it for pups and dogs too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

Anyone have some advice on this?

My cat has always had a grá for the cables but we recently moved and it is getting worse (she is there about 3 or 4 weeks now). I know it is really just attention seeking (my cat would have me at her side 24/7 being her slave if she had her way!), but nothing is working!

She only does it when my boyfriend is trying to work at the computer or with the forbidden charger cables that are literally like manna from heaven to her! Left to her own devices or just there with me the computer is left quite well alone! The brat!

Stopping to play with her/distraction, the clapping and saying NO!, tone of voice change and removing her from the area don't work.

I have looked into sprays but after research they don't seem very successful.

Please help!

Quit messing with those stoopid devices and pay due respect to your mistress cat, obviously! :D You must be a real novice cat-slave -owner, if you don't know this :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

ferretone wrote: »
    Quit messing with those stoopid devices and pay due respect to your mistress cat, obviously! :D You must be a real novice cat-slave -owner, if you don't know this :rolleyes:

I know! Really I should give up my job and stay with her ALL day!
    Bad bad cat owner so I am! :D

You will be fine when you are properly trained:rolleyes:

Have you tried giving the cat some cat nip toys to keep her amused. Mine love those toys and will keep them amused for ages. Then they normally groom and snooze! Your boyfriend can then get on with what he's doing.

Another love mine have is lying across my laptop when I'm trying to use it!!!!!!

You will be fine when you are properly trained:rolleyes:

I'm laughing reading this cause its soooo true!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

I dunno, someone has got to buy the catfood too! It's a difficult one :rolleyes:

Advertisement