Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bluegrass mate visiting and wants to see some trad music

Options
  • 05-03-2014 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi Folks,

A work colleague is visiting me from the USA and he is here till just after Paddy's day.
    He is a bluegrass banjo player and really keen to hear some trad music.

I am based in Galway but have an automobile (it resembles a car after years of abuse)
    So dublin is a weekend possibility and I guess if I leave early enough Claire is a weekday possibility.

I can see a load of threads about sessions going on so I have made a short list.

At the moment I have scheduled to go to the
    Crane in Galway on Saturday Night.
    The Western Hotel in Galway on a thursday.

I was told Tigh Hughes is awesome, but I couldn't find any details on line about when the might do sessions?

Is there any other sessions that are a must see?

Any help would be truly appreciated!

AF

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,979 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Tig Coilis and Neachtains - any night.

Thursdays - either the Western, or Murty Rabbits are slower.

I believe the Crane pretty much any day, but haven't been there lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Taaffes Bar in Shop St has lovely sessions at 5.30pm every evening, bar Good Friday and Christmas day. I might add on your way to Clare stop off in Kinvara, there is a nice mix of bluegrass and trad musicians there and some good sessions too. If I'm not mistaken John Prine has a house in Kinvara too.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Attackfish

Thanks for all the great suggestions folks.
    We ended having an awesome time!

Murty Rabbits was amazing, they let my colleague join in on a loaned 5 string - was definitely a great Irish experience for him.

Kinvara, I cant tell you what pub it was but that was just fantastic, plus we got to swing round the cliffs.

Thanks again for all the suggestions it really made his trip more memorable.

Advertisement