Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Fence for Dog

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I have first hand experience with at least a Golden Retriever, Labrador, King Charles, Cock Spaniel, Terrier and a variety of mutts all using collars without any visible issues. A lot depends on the owner and training of the dog.

:rolleyes:
    Kris you know yourself whats involved and the downsides to using these products. Personally I've found that creating a physical (slowdown) barrier in conjunction with a shock collar will work best. The dog is unable to run through an open space and "take a hit".

Of course, just make sure they can't just run through it, make them suffer by burrowing through a hedge before they stop getting shocked. That'll teach them:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 40 CollyFowler

Of course, just make sure they can't just run through it, make them suffer by burrowing through a hedge before they stop getting shocked. That'll teach them:rolleyes:

You have absolutely no idea of dog behavior if you think that is what they do and you are contributing nothing to the discussion whatsoever. Embarrassing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

You have absolutely no idea of dog behavior if you think that is what they do and you are contributing nothing to the discussion whatsoever. Embarrassing.

And just how exactly would you know my knowledge of dog behaviour?

I have contributed plenty to this discussion, unlike yourself who has only given their anecdotal experience and that a few of your buddies agree with you. Not exactly a comprehensive expert study is it? I've given plenty of information as to why it's an unreliable, cruel, unnecessary, lazy way of training and how it effects dogs behaviour, as have plenty of other posters. In fact out of 15 odd pages of discussion, the only links that have been posted have been about the negative effects on dog behaviour. Because guess what? There are no positive effects on dog behaviour with use of the system. And the links are written by experts in the field of dog behaviour and training.

If you think that using the system doesn't affect a dogs behaviour in a negative way then really, you're the one that should be embarrassed. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Watch the attitude CollyFowler.Borderlinemeath has been in this discussion from the start and has contributed immensely. If you have a problem with a post, report it, do not resort to insults on thread.

Do not reply to this post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

DBB wrote: »
    But in a professional capacity (training), I see a number of dogs every year who are exhibiting behavioural problems due directly or in part to the radio fence. Aggression to passers-by is a very common one. Aggression towards a person or animal who happened to be near the dog when he got shocked is another. Trouble getting the dog out of the garden to go for walks is also common, the owners having to resort to driving their dog over the boundary.

This is an issue with a dog belonging to some neighbours of my parents.
    They have used the system for years and nothing but bad has come of it. Numerous dogs of their have been killed on the road, while another one disappeared. Their current dog charges out when people are passing, barking and snarling...apparently he actually went for another dog a while back. He's been getting worse over time, I imagine that in these cases the passing people or animals are associated with the shock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

mosi wrote: »
    This is an issue with a dog belonging to some neighbours of my parents.
    They have used the system for years and nothing but bad has come of it. Numerous dogs of their have been killed on the road, while another one disappeared. Their current dog charges out when people are passing, barking and snarling...apparently he actually went for another dog a while back. He's been getting worse over time, I imagine that in these cases the passing people or animals are associated with the shock.

Precisely. If every time you saw a pink bunny you got a smack across the back of the head, wouldn't you eventually begin to fear the pink bunny to the point of distress, and would you not maybe attempt to get rid of the bunny?

Advertisement