Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Wheel Locking nut problem.(Urgent in Waterford)

• 05-03-2014 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Mega problem with my VW polo alloy locking wheel nut. Got apuncture last night and went to change the wheel and low and behold the lockingnut key was missing. Had to abandon the car and have made a few calls to VW andother garages but the prices being mentioned are astronomical so looking for analternative.

The nut is an internal action nut…by this I mean theunlocking key will fit into the cavity of the nut as opposed to around theoutside of the head. Heard about forcing a socket over it but not sure theresenough clearance around the nut head and the alloy to do this.

Any local garages in Waterford that could lend a lockingkey?

Any tools available for an internal action locking nut?

Any solutions anybody,..in dire straits.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Up2NoGood

Fella named Joe Buckley has looked after me and my families cars, reasonably priced and he travels to your house.
    085 <PM>, im sure he wouldn't mind the shout

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

eamonn3974 wrote: »
    Mega problem with my VW polo alloy locking wheel nut. Got apuncture last night and went to change the wheel and low and behold the lockingnut key was missing. Had to abandon the car and have made a few calls to VW andother garages but the prices being mentioned are astronomical so looking for analternative.

The nut is an internal action nut…by this I mean theunlocking key will fit into the cavity of the nut as opposed to around theoutside of the head. Heard about forcing a socket over it but not sure theresenough clearance around the nut head and the alloy to do this.

Any local garages in Waterford that could lend a lockingkey?

Any tools available for an internal action locking nut?

Any solutions anybody,..in dire straits.

Is it a spline insert i.e. like an alan key but circular with slots evenly spaced all around it? if so pm me I have a set of those.
    On reading your post I thought the car had acupuncture and Dire straits were playing at day tripper , must have been the volume.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Not sure what the issue is, do you just need a key or is the locking nut jammed/stripped in some way?

Is it this type of key

http://i559.photobucket.com/albums/ss35/MFGF1/A6%20Pics/IMGP1270.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 41 eamonn3974

Just missing the key to remove the lock nut. It's pretty similar to this one from recollection but I'll post up a pic of the actual nut head itself around 5 this evening.
    http://s895.photobucket.com/user/eamonn3974/media/_58_zps55b760af.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Ah right, someone will have one of them in the city - you could try the VAG Driver message boards - its Irish.

http://vagdrivers.net/forums/

When you get this sorted my advice would be to buy a set of standard nuts unless you really reckon all and sundry are after your wheels. Best thing I ever did with mine! :p

• Advertisement

Cheers, thats the plan. Put in standard nuts and to hell with the VW locking nuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

mike65 wrote: »
    Ah right, someone will have one of them in the city - you could try the VAG Driver message boards - its Irish.

http://vagdrivers.net/forums/

If it wasn't for an 80k plus post count I would have been fierce wary opening a website with that name :)

As promised, here's a pic of the actual locking nut in question. Tried tapping it with a varied assortment of tools but no joy and don't want to persist as it will only shear the inside grips of the lock nut. If theres anyone out there with this fitting locknut key or knows of anywhere that stocks these then please feel free to send a reply.think its a seven spline key.
    http://s895.photobucket.com/user/eamonn3974/media/car007_zps2b9b46a2.jpg.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

how much money were they looking for it in the garages?

30/40 online but between 60 and 80 in the brand name garages.

• Advertisement

Anyone have the number for a tow truck or recovery service in Waterford?

it will be cheaper to get the lock nut than a recovery truck

True but not having much luck getting the nut,..will scout around tomorrow but don't want to leave the car abandoned on the side of the road as it is for much longer.Huge eye opener...great anti theft concept but a super pain in the arse.

you should post this in the motors section you will get more responses

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Moving to Motors forum - the good folk there might be able to help better!

Problem sorted. Thanks to all those good folk who offered their help, advice and tools to try get the job done.
    As a final word, unless anyone has really expensive wheels or lives in a exceptionally rough area where wheel theft is a common occurance you're probably better off getting rid of these anti-theft lock nuts as we found the brand garages exceptionally unhelpful despite their supposed good after care support services.
    Special thanks to the guys at FastFit, couldn't have got this resolved without them.

It was Advance Tyre who sorted me out! These guys get a bad rep but business is business. Authorised dealers are worse than useless unless you have loads of folding,

Advertisement