Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help sourcing wedding dress!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

VoH all the way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Dolbert wrote: »
    VoH all the way :)

Walking distance from my place to their shop, taking my mam there for a look when she's over this weekend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

nevermind bridesmaid dresses, I'd wear that going out no bother! It's stunning!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭clumsyklutz

I'm quite lucky in the fact that both my bridesmaids are around the same height (5ft and just under) and both wear very similar sizes (10ish), let's just hope they're up for the same style! I am in love with those bridesmaids dresses too, if I could have them in a deep blue (navy - really dark), they would be exactly what I'm looking for!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭GardenMadness

B Couture in Arklow are very good and they always have a well stocked sale rail. They save you the embarrassment of having to ask for it too, they show you the sale ones unless you say otherwise. They've a great range, too.

My sister in law got hers there and couldn't fault them. I tried on there as well, and they were great.

• Advertisement

ok, so I thought I had better update on this.. I went and got that lovely black dress from lightinthebox. It's pretty, it was cheap. Sizing is a little off though, I got my usual size and it's quite loose on me. Nothing that wouldn't be fixed by just wearing a sash with it maybe...
    Main thing, it's ok as an evening dress, but if I was out in daylight or in heat, I wouldn't like to be wearing it. The material is obviously very cheap (more apparent in natural light) and it's quite clingy and non-breathable. I imagine in hot weather it would be very uncomfortable. So just keep that in mind if you're planning on a summer's bridesmaid dresses from there.

Thanks a mill Gatica. I doubt my bridesmaids would have been too thrilled if I had bought them then! anyone have any recommendations for bridesmaid dresses?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 sayseeboots

sorry to butt in here, but what is VoH? I'm in Spain and cant find anything here I like for an elopement. My mum is coming over soon so I have these threads stalked and her pounding the streets for me! thanks ladies

sorry to butt in here, but what is VoH? I'm in Spain and cant find anything here I like for an elopement. My mum is coming over soon so I have these threads stalked and her pounding the streets for me! thanks ladies

Vivien of Holloway.

Their store is in north London, but everything is available online too. Pretty 50s-style dresses. :)

Hi all, I've recently just booked two appointments to view wedding dresses (unfortunately not the one I really want to look at - Fiona Todhunter Bridals do it, and judging by her site, this seems to be the only one in that style) so I have booked The White Room and Smart Brides, both outside Dublin, does anybody know of any other bridal shops that would have a selection of Bridal Dresses in a 50s tea length/ ballet style (in Dublin or near enough)

I have heard Dirty Fabulous have some, but they come in very small sizes. I have also checked with Barnados and they don't have any in stock at the moment :(.

Why is this style so bloomin hard to find :(

• Advertisement

The websites selling the tea-length dresses have been listed on this thread. Don't know of any other bridal boutiques that would do something so specific. You'd just have to call each one and check if they stock that style. In my experience it was very hit and miss as the floor length is still the prevailing style for bridal dresses. It just so happened that a couple of the shops I went to had 1 or 2 shorter styles, but they weren't specifically stocking "short" dresses.

Exactly. If you're on a budget as you have said, the websites we've listed really are the way to go.

Others to try are Vivien of Holloway and Cutting Edge Brides.

I know, but unfortunately, the only dresses I could purchase online would be the bridesmaids dresses, as while they are small in height, everything is pretty much in proportion, while I really need to try dresses on, being quite busty on top and small on the bottom, I really wish I could buy online, would save so much money! I have called quite a few shops, including Marian Gale, Bridal Outlet and so on, and most just say, we don't have any, or we have one or two, 'but lots of dresses can be made shorter', however I don't have the money to do that! I'll just have to keep ringing around. His mum and sisters have said they would like to contribute some money towards the dress, so I have been able to up my budget a little, however, I don't want to push it too far.

while I really need to try dresses on, being quite busty on top and small on the bottom, I really wish I could buy online, would save so much money!
    You're built like me so - I'm a 12 in jeans and up top is a crapshoot due to boobage. I got the ivory lace circle dress from Vivien of Holloway in a vintage 14 (B36-W28-H40 if looking online), dunno how it does it but the boning in the dress somehow manages to constrain a 32GG bust...

That's pretty much me, except I'm a 14 on the bottom and it's really anything goes on top! Is her stuff only online or can you try on?

Her shop is in London, they do have VoH stuff in the Retro shop, in George's Street arcade, Dublin. I do find them quite accommodating for a bigger bust.

Honeypie Boutique can be made to measure too, it's generally just bust and waist you'll need to fit as the hips are free in that style.

Edit: Not sure if they still do them in Retro, that was a few years ago

That's pretty much me, except I'm a 14 on the bottom and it's really anything goes on top! Is her stuff only online or can you try on?

You can try on in their store on Holloway Road in London, their site also says they have a stockist in Cork, not sure if that one has the bridal dresses though.

Great, thanks I must check them out. Didn't think dress shopping would be this stressful!

They give the measurements on the website though, so as long as you have your own ones correct the dress should fit - you can always return it anyway.

@RK - I love the ivory lace circle dress so much, one of my all-time favs!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Hi all, I've recently just booked two appointments to view wedding dresses (unfortunately not the one I really want to look at - Fiona Todhunter Bridals do it, and judging by her site, this seems to be the only one in that style) so I have booked The White Room and Smart Brides, both outside Dublin, does anybody know of any other bridal shops that would have a selection of Bridal Dresses in a 50s tea length/ ballet style (in Dublin or near enough)

I have heard Dirty Fabulous have some, but they come in very small sizes. I have also checked with Barnados and they don't have any in stock at the moment :(.

Why is this style so bloomin hard to find :(

Alexanders on Parnell Street have 5/6 in stock. I know someone who got one for her wedding. She loved them.

Also Vintage Bride stock new but vintage inspired dresses. Specifically, Joanne Fleming stuff which is so lovely. Pic here.

• Advertisement

They are really gorgeous, thanks for the suggestions :). Ill send them off an e-mail and hopefully they can work with my budget :).

Advertisement