Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hozier - Thur 6th March Whelans

Options
  • 05-03-2014 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭

Tickets for this went on sale at 10am this morning, sold out by 10:00 and 30 sec.

Anyone manage to get tickets?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Yep managed to bag 2 - will be like the Villager's gig in Whelans in Nov 2012 (last time in a small venue) so atmosphere should be electric

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

Yep, will he play with a full band? I've never seen him before. Just has the one EP too?

symbolic wrote: »
    Yep, will he play with a full band? I've never seen him before. Just has the one EP too?

No idea re: the full band - but it's the launch of his second EP / US tour so might be some surprises in store..

No idea re: the full band - but it's the launch of his second EP / US tour so might be some surprises in store..

And he just exploded with Take Me To Church? Was it on an ad or something? Or is he legendary live? Just interested in why demand seems so crazy for tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

He played half the set with full band and half acoustic when he played pepper canister church a few months back. With a new EP though it may be more geared toward the full band now.

I didn't get tickets myself unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Is it over the song thats in the charts at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Very good live, in for a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭bureau2009

bigpink wrote: »
    Is it over the song thats in the charts at the moment?
    Very possibly.

It's so good legendary world famous songwriters would give their eye teeth to have written it themselves.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 tomh1736

Will be a boss gig he is amazing live!

The crowd around me were the worst kind of gig goers :-) just chatting away with no interest, occasionally taking a rubbish zoomed in pixilated mess of a picture and then cheering like mad when Take Me to Church came on, then blah blah blah once that was over.

Thought Hozier was good, be interesting to see how he does as a lot of people didn't seem too interested in his other stuff. I liked it, great voice, kinda bluesy, nothing mind blowing.

Don't think I'd put myself through the experience again.

Damien Jurado, the night before, is gig of the week for me so far. (and a much more respectful crowd)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

The tunes were great, a promising talent. Comparing him to Damien Jurado who's been going since the nineties isn't exactly like for like though.

The crowd did hush up for a few of the quieter songs.

fobster wrote: »
    The tunes were great, a promising talent. Comparing him to Damien Jurado who's been going since the nineties isn't exactly like for like though.

Ah of course yeah, think it was just more the crowd comparison that made me mention it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Don't think I've ever been to a gig in Whelans with a quieter crowd than at Damien Jurado, it was great, even the barmen were being quiet! Was quite a contrast from the Chvrches gig beforehand.

Don't think I've ever been to a gig in Whelans with a quieter crowd than at Damien Jurado, it was great

Yeah, think it just stood out so much, the contrast to last night. found it very annoying. catch up with your mates before/after. He only played hour-ish, just listen to him. And with so many people desperate for tickets, it was a shame to see people just having a pint and a chat, using up a ticket for someone who could have stood and actually watched the performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Don't think I've ever been to a gig in Whelans with a quieter crowd than at Damien Jurado, it was great, even the barmen were being quiet! Was quite a contrast from the Chvrches gig beforehand.

Matt Corby in Whelan's last year was hilarious.

Points to a group of girls "You're a loud bunch over there, aren't ya?

Girls : 'Wooooohhhh'

Corby: "It's not a ****en good thing"

Dead Silence for the rest of the gig.

Thought Hozier was good, be interesting to see how he does as a lot of people didn't seem too interested in his other stuff. I liked it, great voice, kinda bluesy, nothing mind blowing.

Don't think I'd put myself through the experience again.

Pretty much my thoughts on the gig as well
    The crowd around me were the worst kind of gig goers :-) just chatting away with no interest, occasionally taking a rubbish zoomed in pixilated mess of a picture and then cheering like mad when Take Me to Church came on, then blah blah blah once that was over.

Yes - this was pretty annoying. I was standing beside the sound/lights guy at the back and there a couple of girls giggling away throughout the show... bit disrespectful but what can you do. At bigger venues it's not as much of a problem but seeing 15 iPhones in front of your face when you're trying to watch a gig is pretty disconcerting to say the least.

Anyway wish him the best of luck on his US Tour, be interesting to see how he gets on at SXSW

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

Easy Rod wrote: »
    Matt Corby in Whelan's last year was hilarious.

Points to a group of girls "You're a loud bunch over there, aren't ya?

Girls : 'Wooooohhhh'

Corby: "It's not a ****en good thing"

Dead Silence for the rest of the gig.

It must be very distracting for singers at gigs.

Last December 22nd in Vicar Street, Christy Moore played a great gig and played 2 hours 30 minutes!:)

but upstairs a good few people standing, talked during the show, to the point where Christy commented on it, and saying he couldn't understand why people would pay into a gig and then talk throughout.

It was as if the performance was secondary to their meeting up and chatting.

The other thing is, even when people are whispering as opposed to talking loudly, what makes them think they can't still be heard!!:mad:

Advertisement