Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doing Dublin City Marathon for the first time-Planning all ready!

• 05-03-2014 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

I've just registered to run the Dublin City Marathon 2014 and it will be my first time doing it. I've been running for over 2 years now and have done a couple of half-marathons but never had the guts to go for the full one until this year! Now I'm looking at training programs to follow and I find Hal Higdons have helped me so far so think I will stick with him. At the moment Im concentrating on improving my shorter distances 5 & 10km but I plan to start training properly for the marathon in July.

Only thing is I'm going to be away for most of July on holidays but I do plan on bringing my running shoes with me. Realistically & practically speaking though I probably only see myself running 2 times a week (including long runs) for the first 4 weeks of the training plan until I come back.

My question is will it be awful if I miss out on a few runs/per week the first few weeks?? Will I be paying for it when I come back?

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Hmmm, I don't think you'd be served well only running 2 days a week in July if you want to run DCM in Oct. If you can run 2 days on hols, why can't you run 4 or 5?
    I think it would be far too much of a jump to go from 2 days a week in July to 5 or 6 days a week from August (which in my opinion you'd want to be doing). You'd probably panic and jump from 2 to 5/6 and end up getting injured.
    Is there any way you can re-think your holiday running plans?
    The fact that you're thinking/worried about this already is a good sign and shows you're serious about your training so I'd re-evaluate it if I were you.
    I did my first last Oct and my long run would have been up to 17 miles in July and running 40+ miles a week and I felt very well prepared for it which is what you want to aim for. Making it as comfortable and being in control as much as possible of what's in store.
    Just my opinion though. Others with more experience will probably give you better advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Does this normally sell out early? I have booked a hotel already but was going to wait a while before booking the marathon itself. I have the comfort of cancelling the hotel booking a couple of days before without any charge but couldn't do that with the marathon. I think it is a nice time of the year to do one as it would be my first too. I think the heat would kill me if I did one around the summer months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Does this normally sell out early? I have booked a hotel already but was going to wait a while before booking the marathon itself. I have the comfort of cancelling the hotel booking a couple of days before without any charge but couldn't do that with the marathon. I think it is a nice time of the year to do one as it would be my first too. I think the heat would kill me if I did one around the summer months.

Yeah I agree. Couldn't do a summer one either. Weather was good last year except for the wind but better than the heat any day of the week!
    I don't think it sells out before beginning of October.
    http://dublinmarathon.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Never heard of it selling out.

To the OP why not start your training in June instead? If I remember Hal Higdon your long run starts at 6 miles or so and goes up to 9 or 10 in the first 4 weeks.
    Surely if you had a month under your belt by the time you go away you would feel better about it.
    One thing about Mara-training it is very important to get the long run in so if you can only run twice a week make sure you are doing the long run and a medium one - skip the short recovery one as you will be well recovered anyway.
    I would aim to run a half marathon early enough in August when you get back. This will springboard your training a bit and after a half it's not a massive jump to run 15 or 16 miles.
    If you get an 18 miler and 3 or 4 runs over a half marathon distance (14-16 miles) you will be well able to complete a marathon. It mightn't be fast or even pleasurable but you'll get through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Does this normally sell out early?

It does not sell out at all, but the price increases the closer you get to the marathon. And if you miss the final deadline (1 October), you're not in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

locombia wrote: »
    I've just registered to run the Dublin City Marathon 2014 and it will be my first time doing it. I've been running for over 2 years now and have done a couple of half-marathons but never had the guts to go for the full one until this year! Now I'm looking at training programs to follow and I find Hal Higdons have helped me so far so think I will stick with him. At the moment Im concentrating on improving my shorter distances 5 & 10km but I plan to start training properly for the marathon in July.

Only thing is I'm going to be away for most of July on holidays but I do plan on bringing my running shoes with me. Realistically & practically speaking though I probably only see myself running 2 times a week (including long runs) for the first 4 weeks of the training plan until I come back.

My question is will it be awful if I miss out on a few runs/per week the first few weeks?? Will I be paying for it when I come back?

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks.
    Hi, I think the idea of starting your chosen plan early is a good one, then repeat those weeks as best you can on hols. I did my 1 st marathon last October, I was away for 1 st 2 weeks of July, I started the plan early and I ran 4 times per week on hols, all short runs. I picked up the plan where I left off when I got back with out any trouble and was careful not to miss any other runs. A lot depends I would say on what kind of base you have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Look out for the Mentored Novices thread, which will be starting in a couple of months. This post from last year's mentor sums it up pretty well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ohnooo

you'l be fine, give yourself a rest !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭frash

Is there any plan with a LSR on the weekends & just out twice during the week?
    Finding it hard to get out a 3rd time during the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

frash wrote: »

It can be hard to get out during the week. So far I have only done 3 sessions per week with usuallt only one during week. This week I have done 2. But I have made sure they are very easy runs. I do about 8k, then do core strengthening for 20 mins and then jog home to make 10k in total.
    Start off easy and set a target to be still doing the same routine in 2 months time. Being consistent as others have said is important.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

There's a FIRST plan with only 3 days running, but you have to spend at least as much time crosstraining on the other days.

Get up early, run at lunchtime, run to or from work, run late in the evening... you can find half an hour somewhere if you look

Yes, there is a plan that has running on only 3 days a week, but a) it includes other training on other days and b) I don't know anyone who has ever achieved their goal while using that plan (apart from "just finishing")

If you can't be bothered to do the required training, I suggest you give the marathon a miss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭frash

If you can't be bothered to do the required training, I suggest you give the marathon a miss.

That's a bit harsh - I only asked if there was a 3 day plan.

Thanks RayCun for the reply - I'll find the 4th day somewhere.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Can I hijack this thread? No, too bad.

I'm currently looking at the Hal Higdon Marathon plans and they seem a bit light on mileage.

I'm currently running about 20-25 miles per week, but am expecting to gradually increase this.

The HH plans seem to start out at a lower mileage than this, about 15 miles per week.

I'd be intending on running 4-5 times per week during the marathon build-up, can anyone recommend a particular plan?

Thanks!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

adrian522 wrote: »

I'm currently looking at the Hal Higdon Marathon plans and they seem a bit light on mileage.

I'm currently running about 20-25 miles per week, but am expecting to gradually increase this.

The HH plans seem to start out at a lower mileage than this, about 15 miles per week.

I'd be intending on running 4-5 times per week during the marathon build-up, can anyone recommend a particular plan?

Thanks!

The Run Ireland plans would suit you, the Beginner one starts with 20 miles per week and the Intermediate one starts with 30 miles per week.

http://www.runireland.com/sites/www.runireland.com/files/Training_for_marathon.pdf

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Thanks, looks good. A bit to go before I make a decision but they look interesting,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

adrian522 wrote: »

Thanks!

If it's Dublin you are also aiming for look out for the Novice thread in the training log section in the coming weeks. I'd assume the plan will be much the same as last year, in which case it'll meet the needs you've described here.

It's essentially an augment version of HH Novice 2. 5 runs a week penciled in, building up to 40 mile weeks with two 20 mile long runs. Follow the plan and you'll have very positive first marathon experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

OP:

Stick with it. The advice on here whilst well intended can be sometimes off putting.

Alot of people are not in a position to run 4 + times a week. Most people can't run to/from work. Most people don't have shower facilities and have set break times therefore lunchtime running is off, and alot of people with kids may have partners on shift etc so running in the evening can also be really difficult.

If you can get a short fast run, a medium distance run and a long run each week you'll finish the marathon. You may struggle, but you'll finish.

I ran my first marathon on the back of avg 3 days training and avg well below 30 miles per week. Target was 3.30, finished in 3.26 so if you have a decent fitness base, you'll manage just fine.

The fact you're planning already is a good sign

EDIT: mods, maybe move this to general forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

Don't mind the needless negativity OP, like Gavlor I did my first marathon on an avg of 3 days and finished under my target of 3.40. Go for it. I followed Hal Higdon's Novice plan.

If it's Dublin you are also aiming for look out for the Novice thread in the training log section in the coming weeks. I'd assume the plan will be much the same as last year, in which case it'll meet the needs you've described here.

It's essentially an augment version of HH Novice 2. 5 runs a week penciled in, building up to 40 mile weeks with two 20 mile long runs. Follow the plan and you'll have very positive first marathon experience.

Thanks, yeah doing DCM, I'll certainly keep an eye on that thread when it rolls around.

Not sure at this point what time to aim for, 4hrs I guess is popular.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭physiopad

I followed Hal Higdon Novice 2 for my first marathon. Thought it was very manageable for a 4hr marathon

I also had a few half marathons under my belt

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭audreyp

Yes, there is a plan that has running on only 3 days a week, but a) it includes other training on other days and b) I don't know anyone who has ever achieved their goal while using that plan (apart from "just finishing")

I am hoping to the DCM too. I actually am following the cross training plan. And I find it really good. I started training last November, I have been running a couple of years but only seriously 18 months. The cross training really helps my body recover. I swim 3 times a week, run 3 times a week (and sometimes a 4th if I can squeeze it in) and Pilates once a week. If I increase my running too much my knee can give me some attitude so I find this works for me. Swimming is helping my core and breathing and believe it or not my speed for running! I run with a club two days a week and one long run at the weekend. It's definitely do-able and my 5 and 10k times are decreasing at every race (and by a good bit!!!) So I suggest follow whatever plan seems right and manageable. Good luck!!

audreyp wrote: »
    I am hoping to the DCM too. I actually am following the cross training plan. And I find it really good. I started training last November, I have been running a couple of years but only seriously 18 months. The cross training really helps my body recover. I swim 3 times a week, run 3 times a week (and sometimes a 4th if I can squeeze it in) and Pilates once a week. If I increase my running too much my knee can give me some attitude so I find this works for me. Swimming is helping my core and breathing and believe it or not my speed for running! I run with a club two days a week and one long run at the weekend. It's definitely do-able and my 5 and 10k times are decreasing at every race (and by a good bit!!!) So I suggest follow whatever plan seems right and manageable. Good luck!!

My beef with the FIRST plan is less the plan itself (though I sure think it's not ideal) but more the fact that 90% of runners who follow it do so purely for the fact that they think they only need to run 3 times a week for it and thus can get away with much less running than other plans. Most of them don't do the required cross-training either and end up woefully undertrained when they run the marathon.

If you do all the prescribed training and at the right intensity (which is pretty tough), including all the cross-training days you'll be better prepared than an awful lot of other runners, and good luck to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭audreyp

I agree with you! And it is bl oody tough!!! Think it would be easier to run two more small runs than all the cross training I have to do to make up for it. But i'm learning to swim and my knees complain if I run 5 days a week. The swimming is strengthening my muscles though so maybe eventually I will be able to run 5 days a week and give up swimming (which I hate anyways!!)

I think for every runner incorporating some strength training like pilates is very useful! But again whatever works for people. Some people are less of a croc than me so are more able to just run without any side effects on the body.

I'm in bits today after the Debra Ireland run yesterday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14 pagep195

That's a bit harsh - I only asked if there was a 3 day plan.

Thanks RayCun for the reply - I'll find the 4th day somewhere.

I agree - needlessly harsh and extremely unhelpful. I wouldn't beat myself up over missing a few runs while on holiday. Chances are, everyone training for the marathon will have spells through injury or illness where they miss runs. You have been running for quite a while now so have a good fitness base.

Everyone's training needs are different when it comes to the marathon - these plans are a good base, but you don't have to stick rigidly to them to ensure you finish. Four runs a week with one long run that increases gradually throughout the summer months and into autumn, SHOULD be enough, but again, each runner is different. You will not lose fitness from missing a few runs on holiday. Best of luck with it!

pagep195 wrote: »
    I agree - needlessly harsh and extremely unhelpful.

Ok, so pointing out that running 3 days a week does not properly prepare you for a marathon is extremely unhelpful? Fine then.
    I wouldn't beat myself up over missing a few runs while on holiday.

The OP asked about holidays, my post was an answer to a different question altogether.

Never mind, I'm out of this thread. Too many people taking offence just because you don't say what they want to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

I'm also hoping to do DCM this year. I was training last year but got injured. I took part in all of the race series apart from DCM. I think I upped the mileage too quickly. I also find it hard to fit runs in. I drop kids off on my way to work and collect at lunch time and husband goes to work early and comes home late. The best time for me to run is late evening (when the clocks change) and weekend mornings.

I'm already finding the milder weather and brighter evenings more motivating. As for holidays, I would start training in June rather than July so you have a good plan set, then bring the runners on hols and fit in a few runs a week. Even if they are short runs it will stop you losing fitness and keep the holiday bulge at bay :)

Ok, so pointing out that running 3 days a week does not properly prepare you for a marathon is extremely unhelpful? Fine then.

The OP asked about holidays, my post was an answer to a different question altogether.

Never mind, I'm out of this thread. Too many people taking offence just because you don't say what they want to hear.

But the thing is we all big up a marathon so much that we think you have to have so much training done. Nonsense. If you get 3 days a week in you can finish a marathon.
    The long run is important along with a medium/longish run. The other days are really recovery/junk mileage.
    Build up to 18 miles and run 18 miles twice along with 5 or 6 other long runs of 14 miles plus and regardless of what else you run you will get through. it might not be pretty or fast but you'll do.
    Hal Higdon is a wonderful aid but if 4 days is too much run 3 instead, just run and enjoy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

buck65 wrote: »
    But the thing is we all big up a marathon so much that we think you have to have so much training done. Nonsense. If you get 3 days a week in you can finish a marathon.

If you are going to take that line then you don't have to train at all to finish a marathon. There is a 7 hour cut off in DCM (and even then they allow people to finish in 8+hours). Any body with any reasonable fitness could easily walk around tomorrow inside the cut off. Even stop off for a pint at the halfway house and still make it :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    If you are going to take that line then you don't have to train at all to finish a marathon. There is a 7 hour cut off in DCM (and even then they allow people to finish in 8+hours). Any body with any reasonable fitness could easily walk around tomorrow inside the cut off. Even stop off for a pint at the halfway house and still make it :rolleyes:

Yes I know that, I do not agree with you though about not having to train at all to finish and nowhere did I say you don't have to train.
    What you imply and what I say are completely opposite. So don't try to fob my reasoning off with throwaway comments and roll eyes.

Advertisement