Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doing Dublin City Marathon for the first time-Planning all ready!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

An 18week plan from Higdon gives me a training start date of June 23rd. Is this enough training?? Would follow Novice 2 plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I am not long running but had a decent enough level of fitness before I started. At least I thought I did. I have lost about a stone in that time but wasnt really overweight in the first place. Technically perhaps I was.
    I am running upto 22km now in my long runs. I am really pleased with the consistency I now have.
    I think the biggest mistake people make starting out is probably overdoing it, pushing themselves too hard. The body needs time to adapt and running consistently will certainly help.
    26 miles or 42km is a long distance to run. It all depends on what you want to achieve. If you want to just get over the line and the training reflects that, you will probably need to walk some sections or at least go a slow space.
    I started doing about 2/3 runs per week. I made the rookie mistake of chasing a faster time every time I went and naturally enough the body wasnt able to recover enough to run a couple of days after a run.
    The last couple of weeks I am running 4 times a week - 2 handy 10km runs with a 20 minute core strengthening session at the 8km mark. I then jog home to complete the 10k. The other 2 runs involve a LSR (have built it up from 10km to 22km) and a tempo (fast) run of 5k. This is now bringing me upto nearly 50 kilometres per week. You need to have a few nights to completely rest. Recovery, drinking plenty of water and eating well are important too. You will find the more you run the better you will eat.
    Best of luck to you all anyway. I have the DCM as a rough target too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

SeanPuddin wrote: »
    An 18week plan from Higdon gives me a training start date of June 23rd. Is this enough training?? Would follow Novice 2 plan.
    Most novice plans are 18 weeks I think. But continue to build up your miles gradually between now and then. Consistency is key.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

SamforMayo wrote: »
    Most novice plans are 18 weeks I think. But continue to build up your miles gradually between now and then. Consistency is key.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

I just want to add to TFB and memo comments. Running 3 days a week will not properly prepare your body for what it will encounter in and about midday on the October Bank Holiday. If people think there comments are harsh and choose to ignore their wisdom, they will find out how harsh 26 miles is especially for someone unprepared and doing it for the first time. Nothing prepares you better for this other the running, and especially running on tired/sore legs. So a 4 mile slow recovery run the day after your first 20 miler will stand you better then any rest/x-train day. Between now and then I suggest you start to introduce some short slow runs on days you dont normally run. The Marathon is the one distance that you cannot bluff so if you cant make the time to run for 5-6 days a week then I am afraid you should leave doing a marathon until such time as you can commit to it fully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

ger664 wrote: »
    I just want to add to TFB and memo comments. Running 3 days a week will not properly prepare your body for what it will encounter in and about midday on the October Bank Holiday. If people think there comments are harsh and choose to ignore their wisdom, they will find out how harsh 26 miles is especially for someone unprepared and doing it for the first time. Nothing prepares you better for this other the running, and especially running on tired/sore legs. So a 4 mile slow recovery run the day after your first 20 miler will stand you better then any rest/x-train day. Between now and then I suggest you start to introduce some short slow runs on days you dont normally run. The Marathon is the one distance that you cannot bluff so if you cant make the time to run for 5-6 days a week then I am afraid you should leave doing a marathon until such time as you can commit to it fully.

The first part is bang on, the highlighted piece is nonsense.

All depends on what a person is looking to achieve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

buck65 wrote: »
    But the thing is we all big up a marathon so much that we think you have to have so much training done. Nonsense. If you get 3 days a week in you can finish a marathon.
    The long run is important along with a medium/longish run. The other days are really recovery/junk mileage.
    Build up to 18 miles and run 18 miles twice along with 5 or 6 other long runs of 14 miles plus and regardless of what else you run you will get through. it might not be pretty or fast but you'll do.
    Hal Higdon is a wonderful aid but if 4 days is too much run 3 instead, just run and enjoy it.

I suppose people know themselves how fit / strong they are. I did DCM last year, and I was running 5 or 6 days a week, had done a good few half marathons, and a good few long runs during summer / autumn 2012 as well when my husband was training for DCM 2012, so I had an ok-ish base.

I still really struggled with the marathon, I found it really tough. Granted, I'd missed a bit of training in September due to an ankle sprain, and so didn't have time for my 22-milers, but I did a few 20s and I still didn't feel prepared on the day. Maybe men have more natural endurance and can finish a marathon with less training, but personally, I could not have finished it on 3 days running a week with a longest run of 18 miles. I know others can / have done so, but I don't think everyone can. It's a really long way :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Smartguy

The fact is that plenty of people can run a decent marathon time ie sub 3.40 without 5 or 6 days training a week. 3 good runs a week with a 4th one for a couple of weeks should get you there if the runs are of a decent quality.

It is like most things in life, some people have to work harder than others to achieve their goals.

Smartguy wrote: »
    The fact is that plenty of people can run a decent marathon time ie sub 3.40 without 5 or 6 days training a week. 3 good runs a week with a 4th one for a couple of weeks should get you there if the runs are of a decent quality.

It is like most things in life, some people have to work harder than others to achieve their goals.

I agree. Just be clear on which type of person you are / how much training you'll need before you pick a plan or training load. Good luck everyone! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Anyone can finish a marathon. The problem most people have is that they start the marathon at a pace they aren't capable of sustaining because they don't really grasp how long a marathon is. So they start running, then slow down, then start to walk, maybe drop out because they're exhausted and sore.

So most of us assume, when someone asks about training for a marathon on here, that they want to run it, and want to run it at a steady pace that doesn't feel really slow compared to their normal runs. And if that's what you want to do, then you should be looking for a good training plan, and expecting to run a lot as part of that plan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Smartguy wrote: »
    The fact is that plenty of people can run a decent marathon time ie sub 3.40 without 5 or 6 days training a week. .

Yeah but they are the type of people who would be running sub 3:15 if they trained properly.

Other people have to break their back to run sub 3:40 and they deserve it a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

ger664 wrote: »
    Nothing prepares you better for this other the running, and especially running on tired/sore legs. So a 4 mile slow recovery run the day after your first 20 miler will stand you better then any rest/x-train day. Between now and then I suggest you start to introduce some short slow runs on days you dont normally run. The Marathon is the one distance that you cannot bluff so if you cant make the time to run for 5-6 days a week then I am afraid you should leave doing a marathon until such time as you can commit to it fully.

I dont know about that. If I was doing a 20miler and the next day my legs felt cooked/sore, I'd leave it alone and either hit the spin bike or do a bit of light stretching and leave it at that. I think this running on tired, sore legs philosophy is counter productive, and just not enjoyable, its like flogging an old dray horse.
    I think you can run a decent marathon on 3 or 4 days running a week. I mean you have to be smart about how you use your running days and make sure theres race pace (and above) sessions in there. I kind of like the Hansons approach to marathon training though, its definitely a plan that allows more recovery than most others.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Thanks, yeah doing DCM, I'll certainly keep an eye on that thread when it rolls around.

Not sure at this point what time to aim for, 4hrs I guess is popular.

I thought this thread was really helpful when deciding what to aim for for a first marathon:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=86583749

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭overthebridge

Apologies to the OP and subsequent posters as this is ever so slightly off topic.

I am hoping to run my 2nd Dublin Marathon this Oct and want to make it a bit of a family affair and bring the wife and kid up for the night.
    Could anyone recommend a hotel that would be suitable. I am travelling up on the train into Heuston so anything convenient to the Luas, the Dart or walking distance to RDS and the finish/start area would be ideal.
    I ran it last year and stayed at Travelodge St Stephens Green. It was grand for myself but I was hoping for something a little bit more comfortable for the family. My budget would be ~E150 a night.

Thanks in advance...

the route is different this year, but hasn't been announced yet - so we don't know yet where the start and finish lines will be, and what would be difficult to get to from the finish line

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Strawberry Swan

tunguska wrote: »
    I think you can run a decent marathon on 3 or 4 days running a week. I mean you have to be smart about how you use your running days and make sure theres race pace (and above) sessions in there. I kind of like the Hansons approach to marathon training though, its definitely a plan that allows more recovery than most others.

I completely agree with this. It's about using your sessions smartly, making sure to get the long runs in and speed work. I trained mostly 3 times a week, sometimes 4, (also cycled 30-60 miles a week) and did my first marathon in 4.15. Maybe that's not great to some people but I think it's respectable and well worth doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Run and Jump

RayCun wrote: »
    the route is different this year, but hasn't been announced yet - so we don't know yet where the start and finish lines will be, and what would be difficult to get to from the finish line

Any info on what the new route could be? Will it be radically different or just some small changes?

Don't know yet. They have to avoid all the places where there'll be roadworks for the new LUAS tracks. It would probably be easier to run it mainly on the northside this year but I'm hoping the changes are minimal. They said on facebook they are close to getting it signed off

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jdunne_ire

With two years of running under your belt you'll be fine enjoy your holiday and come back nice and fresh ready to take on a more regular routine. I did my first marathon in 2012 and only started training for it properly in late August, I got through it OK so don't worry about it.

Don't know yet. They have to avoid all the places where there'll be roadworks for the new LUAS tracks. It would probably be easier to run it mainly on the northside this year but I'm hoping the changes are minimal. They said on facebook they are close to getting it signed off

Oh!! I had pretty much decided not to do it this year, but if it's on the Northside ... if it went through Raheny I'd HAVE to do it! I remember going out to Raheny village to watch it when I was a kid! Fingers crossed it's a Northside route in 2014 then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Deirdree loves Rashid

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Oh!! I had pretty much decided not to do it this year, but if it's on the Northside ... if it went through Raheny I'd HAVE to do it! I remember going out to Raheny village to watch it when I was a kid! Fingers crossed it's a Northside route in 2014 then.

Yeah its about time they brought the marathon home to its roots.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I came across this while...working....

http://fellrnr.com/wiki/A_Comparison_of_Marathon_Training_Plans

It's a comparison of various marathon plans out there, interesting read.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

adrian522 wrote: »
    I came across this while...working....

http://fellrnr.com/wiki/A_Comparison_of_Marathon_Training_Plans

It's a comparison of various marathon plans out there, interesting read.

Interesting line of work your in!

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

Apologies to the OP and subsequent posters as this is ever so slightly off topic.

I am hoping to run my 2nd Dublin Marathon this Oct and want to make it a bit of a family affair and bring the wife and kid up for the night.
    Could anyone recommend a hotel that would be suitable. I am travelling up on the train into Heuston so anything convenient to the Luas, the Dart or walking distance to RDS and the finish/start area would be ideal.
    I ran it last year and stayed at Travelodge St Stephens Green. It was grand for myself but I was hoping for something a little bit more comfortable for the family. My budget would be ~E150 a night.

Thanks in advance...
    Stayed in The Clyde Court Hotel the last 2 years,lovely hotel.Should suit all your needs. Im thinking on doing Limerick,any suggestions down your neck of the woods?

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭overthebridge

Stayed in The Clyde Court Hotel the last 2 years,lovely hotel.Should suit all your needs. Im thinking on doing Limerick,any suggestions down your neck of the woods?

Thanks for that. It's definitely on the list.

Just on a Limerick hotel, I made a few suggestions on the GLR thread itself. Have a look...

HelenAnne wrote: »

They've just said on facebook that the changes are just at the start and end of the course, they can't use Nassau St to O'Connell St at the start, or College Green and Nassau St at the end

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

Aw, I'd love if it went through the northside. I remember it passing through where I live as a kid. Handing out slices of orange. Those runners must have inspired me!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

When can we expect the Mentored thread to get going?

I notice it was started by this stage last year.

Still researching a few different plans. The HH ones seem too basic and monotonous, the JD ones seem needlessly complicated!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

They've just said on facebook that the changes are just at the start and end of the course, they can't use Nassau St to O'Connell St at the start, or College Green and Nassau St at the end

Thats good to know. I wonder when the two luas lines merge though will they have to make a big overhaul to the course?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

tunguska wrote: »
    Thats good to know. I wonder when the two luas lines merge though will they have to make a big overhaul to the course?

I think they had said previously they will no longer be able to use the 'old' course as even when the works are finished they won't be able to close down the luas line for most of the day.

Be interested to see how much it changes.

Advertisement