Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading MacBook Pro bought in 2007

Options
  • 05-03-2014 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi All,

I have a MacBook Pro purchased from Apple in 2007. I was wondering how possible it is to upgrade the operating system (it's currently running Mac OS X Tiger) and software, replace the internal battery and get a new wall socket charger for it.

I'm also trying to get an idea of cost to see if an upgrade is worthwhile or if a new laptop would be a better option.

I like the idea of a new laptop or tablet (not necessarily an Apple product) but Mac's are very reliable and if upgrading would work then I would certainly consider it.

Any ideas/opinions?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Model Identifier?

MacBook Pro2,1 or
    MacBook Pro3,1

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

It doesn't belong in Operating Systems. It belongs in Comp & Tech, Laptops

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

mathepac wrote: »

This forum covers anything MAC related Hardware or software...

You're def in the right section! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

sccmcc wrote: »
    Hi All,

I have a MacBook Pro purchased from Apple in 2007. I was wondering how possible it is to upgrade the operating system (it's currently running Mac OS X Tiger) and software, replace the internal battery and get a new wall socket charger for it.

I'm also trying to get an idea of cost to see if an upgrade is worthwhile or if a new laptop would be a better option.

I like the idea of a new laptop or tablet (not necessarily an Apple product) but Mac's are very reliable and if upgrading would work then I would certainly consider it.

Any ideas/opinions?

Thanks in advance :)

I'm not an expert but I'd say you would be better off buying new, and selling your old one (maybe for parts). That's a 7 year old laptop, so I doubt you could upgrade it enough for it to be worth it. you know?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

As Nemeses said, the forum covers Mac hardware and software. This has always been the case. Its placement in the OS sub-category is an error which unfortunately there’s never been any enthusiasm to correct. Ideally Mac should be under C&T.

I’m very appreciative of mods like yoyo who move Mac-related threads here. :)

... Its placement in the OS sub-category is an error which unfortunately there’s never been any enthusiasm to correct. Ideally Mac should be under C&T. ...
    In other words, as previously discussed, I'm still right and the forum layout is still wrong biggrin.png
    I'm not an expert but I'd say you would be better off buying new, ...
    I disagree until I know which model MacBook Pro OP has

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

In other words, as previously discussed, I'm still right and the forum layout is still wrong biggrin.png

I disagree until I know which model MacBook Pro OP has

We have a rough indication of what it is .. OP has mentioned it was purchased in '07

Here's a guestimate:

- Overall Estimated cost - Give or take 300 quid

Mac would be fine for general use.. IF expecting more - then consider an upgrade of a new mac / more recent second hand mac

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Have one my self with Snow Leopard

Tried to install Mavericks, ...No joy

Tried Lion....No Joy

So stuck with snow leopard

But bought myself MBA

DT

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

I have two MacBook Pros (2007 - 3,1 - 2.4Ghz), all you need is to replace the HDD with a SSD and upgrade the RAM to 6GB (the official max RAM is 4GB but 6GB works perfectly) and you will have a nice machine with good performance.
    Have one my self with Snow Leopard

Tried to install Mavericks, ...No joy

Tried Lion....No Joy

So stuck with snow leopard

But bought myself MBA

What do you mean no joy, it wouldn't install at all? What model is your MPB?

I've had Snow Leopard, Lion, Mountain Lion and Mavericks on both of my MacBook Pros 3,1.

-

• Advertisement

NUTZZ wrote: »
    ... MacBook Pros 3,1. ...
    That's the critical piece of information

• Registered Users Posts: 14 sccmcc

Hi, I'm not sure the model but I've photographed the serial number on the battery itself and inside the underside of the laptop if this helps determine any useful information!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

That's a 7 year old laptop

It's a 7 year old MBP, big difference :rolleyes:

Hi, I'm not sure the model but I've photographed the serial number on the battery itself and inside the underside of the laptop if this helps determine any useful information!
    The simplest way is under the Apple menu select "About this Mac", then click the "More Info ..." button, then click the "System Report..." button

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Yeh that's a MacBook Pro 3,1 from 2007, the exact same as my two (bar processor speed, I've the 2.4Ghz model) so my post above applies to you too regarding upgrades.

They really can be a great little machine even at 7 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Yea..mine aint a MP Pro

Just the Apple MacBook "Core 2 Duo" 2.0 13-Inch (White - Mid-2007) a 2.0 GHz Intel "Core 2 Duo" processor

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Advertisement