Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indiependence 2014

Options
12346»

Comments

I feel/look like this

hungover_dog-13030.bmp

Excellent weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭shefellover93

Was a fantastic weekend!

Went two years ago and it was a mudbath, better weather and conditions made it far more enjoyable IMO. Security were a small big heavy-handed on the way in but I'd rather that then having nutcases causing hassle. Overall the setup was fantastic, big hat tip to Matt the security guy up the back, sound fella! Our neighbours on both sides were great craic without overstepping the mark, and was much more laid back this time around (though possibly because it was my second time). The big tent seemed a little too big, or maybe the crowd wasn't as big as expected, though that meant you could arrive late and fit in.

Food was a bit on the steep side (Particularly the Rebel Burger and Fat Wrap crowd :O but there was a fantastic selection. I got Wok N'Roll on the last night and one of the lads got a wrap in Fat Wrap and they were both really nice. Having two thoroughfares suits it way better as well and means the ground doesn't cut up as badly, the use of the barn (which was off-limits afaik two years ago) was an absolutely class venue, and something which could be used for slightly bigger bands given the atmosphere there for 80sv90s on the last night.

So here's a list of stuff I went to and what I thought, feel free to disagree! Missed a lot of stuff on Friday between working and going to watch the Cork City game!

Friday:

Audible Joes - Blasting pop-punk from the lads, managed to get a small crowd really into the gig. Have been following them for a while now and they always bust their nut so was delighted to see them do so well with their first album out :D

Dan Le Sac v Scroobious Pip - Really cool gig, crowd were well into it and he really has a huge presence on stage. 'You Will See Me' is an absolutely awesome song, he really just got into it and really got a feeling out of every lyric. Awesome in the literal sense of the word!

80s v 90s (Friday) - Wasn't hugely impressed to be honest, also most of the songs when I was there were from the 00s 10s, which kind of defeats the purpose.

Saturday:

Fyfe - Were interesting, nice to see someone slightly different, even if it is a bit samey in my opinion.

Blaenavon - Really weren't for me at all, bit too much show and not enough in the actual music.

Sultans of Ping - What can you say :pac: Have nearly their entire back catalogue, one of the very few bands at Indie this year I could say that about. Niall is an absolute madman, totally cracked but brilliant on stage! Was a bit anoying with the crowd roaring them to play Where's Me Jumper after every song, but at one stage he was like 'No we won't, and I'll sleep soundly' :pac: Really didn't disappoint high hopes at all, one of the highlights of the weekend!

Hudson Taylor - Turned up to this more by accident than anything else, though I know a fair bit about them. Even though they're a bit soft for my liking they are experienced performers, and really got the crowd on their side.

Sunday:

Slow Motion Heroes - Band I've heard a good bit about around Cork so was hoping they'd be a little different, but just show the signs of a pub band to me. Not terrible but nothing special at all

Hozier - Absolutely brilliant gig in fairness to him. Has a fantastic command of the stage, and even though I'd know only two or three of his songs, each one grabs you live. Crowd seemed to really be into him, probably the gig where most people knew the words.

Frank and Walters - Only saw a bit of them which was disappointing, but I was front and centre two years ago so I don't think I missed hugely out. Massively consistent performers with an excellent back catalogue.

Public Enemy - Not a huge fan of their work but was massively turned off by the amount of political ****e they were trying to ram down our throats, found it disgusting to be honest. Flava Flav came on for a 'solo' bit dedicated to Michael Jackson (Didn't realise there was a huge connection there?!) and started this huge monologue slagging off Conrad Murray, launched into this really weird tribute song for MJ which sounded like it was written by a twelve year old, and then implored all 'Real Michael Jackson' fans to go out and buy the record, which IMO was sick.

Then further on they went into this big thing about people who take your human rights away from you, and going on about Gaza and Ukraine, as if they were geopolitical experts. Apparently there's two things Flav hates; racism (Fair enough) and separatism. According to his philosophy a conformist society without separatists will keep the peace, which is the one important thing we must keep (despite how unhappy a country's population are).

Whole thing left me a little angry to be honest, which spoiled an excellent finale of 'Harder Than You Think' where he brought a load of people on stage from the crowd and backstage at the end.

Finally the 80s v 90s brought the festival to a close and it was an excellent finale. Really brought out the best of both and the four lads are brilliant performers in their own right! Managed to cut songs down enough to fit a load of stuff in too which was good!

All and all a fantastic festival, which if it gets a few bigger artists could really rival the likes of EP given its competitive ticket prices. Already can't wait for next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Casshern88

First time at Indiependence Festeval, but my 3rd Irish Festival in total though.

Had absolutely savage weekend, I came down from Galway with 2 others all of us in 23 - 26 age group, we set up camp in the campsite with the food stalls and showers. everything was well organized , there could have been a bit more food options in the campsite i was a bit sick of the breakfast baps by monday morning but thats a minor thing!

There was a great atmosphere in the campsite, The neighbors were all absolutely bang on had a great time with them all. So much craic in the camp site i only made it to 3 acts all weekend but it was still worth it IMO. I seen Hoizer, the coronas and dan le sac vs scroobious pip.

Hoizer and Scroobious were absolutely mind blowingly good, was also at 80 vs 90s night on saturday which was very good despite also throwing in a lot of 00's as some one else said above.

Weather on the sunday really made it i thought. my favorite festival characters i seen during the weekend were festival Jesus with his cross of cans and the conor mcgregor look alike with his old school gentleman mustache and waistcoat got no end a laughs out of seeing those guys.

all in all one of the best small festivals ive been at in Ireland, will hands down be back there next year! and hopefully catch a few more acts next time!

Looking on the Indie FB page to see if my brothers keys showed up and noticed that the organizers are putting great effort into reuniting people with stuff that was found. Not many festivals would do that. Fair play to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Casshern88 wrote: »
    First time at Indiependence Festeval, but my 3rd Irish Festival in total though.

Had absolutely savage weekend, I came down from Galway with 2 others all of us in 23 - 26 age group, we set up camp in the campsite with the food stalls and showers. everything was well organized , there could have been a bit more food options in the campsite i was a bit sick of the breakfast baps by monday morning but thats a minor thing!

There was a great atmosphere in the campsite, The neighbors were all absolutely bang on had a great time with them all. So much craic in the camp site i only made it to 3 acts all weekend but it was still worth it IMO. I seen Hoizer, the coronas and dan le sac vs scroobious pip.

Hoizer and Scroobious were absolutely mind blowingly good, was also at 80 vs 90s night on saturday which was very good despite also throwing in a lot of 00's as some one else said above.

Weather on the sunday really made it i thought. my favorite festival characters i seen during the weekend were festival Jesus with his cross of cans and the conor mcgregor look alike with his old school gentleman mustache and waistcoat got no end a laughs out of seeing those guys.

all in all one of the best small festivals ive been at in Ireland, will hands down be back there next year! and hopefully catch a few more acts next time!
    How the hell did you manage to only see three bands?

• Advertisement

AdMMM wrote: »

Very easily done

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭deisedude

I honestly don't understand the mentality in paying 100 quid to get pissed in a field.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Can remember one lad telling me he only made it out of the campsite by Sunday evening ...

The beer hall was the place to be most nights but I heard silent disco was good too. My favourite act of the weekend was white lies.

I thought last year was better overall though

• Registered Users Posts: 30 psychoniamh

My favourite set from the weekend was Orla Gartland, thought she was a breath of fresh air. I had't heard the news that the Fun Lovin' Criminals had dropped out.. I'm not a fan so myself and my friend were at the back of the main stage when we recognised the orange shirts of the Frank and Watlers.. needless to say we legged it up to the front, great surprise!! Also enjoyed Hudson Taylor, Hozier, Delerentos and White Lies. I liked the Coronas too, but the huge crowd was a little off-putting, as to be expected though so can't complain!! Enjoyed a few of Damien Dempseys songs too. Overall an enjoyable weekend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭TheFarrier

AdMMM wrote: »

Very easily, I saw only three full acts, the coronas, walking on cars and hozier, found them all to be brilliant. Saw about 10 mins each of Tom Odell ( wish I'd stayed longer, didn't realise who he was) and sultans of ping (ten mins too long, really not into them) and frank and Walters ( not my cup of tea either.)

First time at a festival, best weekend of my life, cannot wait for next year!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

I went wandering away from my mates and met the loveliest Cork girl at Tvvins on Friday and we went all around the festival for hours love buzzing. I met her again on Saturday briefly but I was a bit sauced so lost her rather quickly and then I never saw her again. Missed yet treasured memories lost to the weekend! haha

Though I don't do it anymore I can easily understand going to a weekend festival for the craic only. At pretty much every festival I've been to the good times with friends and newfound friends have been the most cherished memories. A great set from a great band is good n all but there's something about the atmosphere, vibes and ambience at a festival that just makes it priceless. The craic goes into overdrive!

My highlights were Hozier, The Minutes, Scroobius Pip n Dan Le Sac and muthafúckin A SKILLZ. White Lies and Public Enemy were cool. Was absolutely gutted that Fun Lovin' Criminals cancelled, was looking forward to them the most!

Advertisement