Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City Centre Parking or Luas Park & Ride?

Options
  • 05-03-2014 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Will be in Dublin on Friday and will have a car, just wondering what are my options for parking and what will work out least expensive. I want to spend a couple of hours shopping in Grafton Street, will be travelling up from South so was thinking of using Luas Park & Ride, park car at Sandyford Station, (choose Sandyford as coming from South can travel on M50 and it will bring us within minutes of Grafton Street). Ive worked out 2 adult return tickets and a full day parking will cost about €14.

If we arrive to park our car about 10am will there be parking spaces in the Sandyford Station or will the car park be full as its a week day morning?

Any other suggestions on parking the car in or near the city that won't cost more than €14 for the day? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

never knew they had that! last saturday week I paid 16quid or something for 4 hrs parking there....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

If you're literally only parking for 2 hours then on street parking in the area is €2.80 or so an hour. The Brown Thomas car park right behind Grafton St is €3.20 an hour.

If you're there for 4 hours or longer then the best price will be a deal on a private car park rather than parking on street and having to go back to renew the ticket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

If you're there all day, Heuston station is very reasonable. I think it was only about 7 or 8 quid last time I used it although you'll probably have to factor a Luas fare on top of that, depending on where you're going in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,734 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Heuston is €9 for the day or €8 if you use park-by-text.

http://www.irishrail.ie/travel-information/car-parking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

anncoates wrote: »
    If you're there all day, Heuston station is very reasonable. I think it was only about 7 or 8 quid last time I used it although you'll probably have to factor a Luas fare on top of that, depending on where you're going in town.

Heuston Station is too far away imo. The OP is gong to be in the Grafron St area. Heuston is a good 30 minute walk away from there. If they get the bus, that wipes out the few euros that they would save by parking there, instead of going with the pre booked Stephens Green car park rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Personally, I would go for the park and ride option. Parking in town may be slightly cheaper, but more grief. If you are only saving a few quid, the extra cost of petrol would have to be factored in too.

(If you get 8l/100km for city driving and the round trip is 20km, the petrol cost will be €2.50).

The only risk is that the car park in Sandyford will be full. I think you will be safe enough, but it is a slight risk. If the car park at Sandyford is full, try the second car park just past Stillorgan stop, across from Aldi. Its easy to find once you are there.

Advertisement