Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Board Shaping Discussion **No advertising**

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

promethius wrote: »
    thought i'd landed on an askabout money thread for a min :-).

Yea it's getting a bit nuts can we all agree that you should support your local shaper an buy at least one custom made board from them then you should surf it like you stole it.

There are about 10 shapers operating in Ireland so you've got lots to choose from

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

promethius wrote: »
    thought i'd landed on an askabout money thread for a min :-)

i got a custom thruster a few years back from powersource. went up, met the guy, went through my abilities, size, the type of waves i like to catch etc. that was a humdinger of a board, held up so well to travel and the inevitable knocks that happen. i got him to write my name by the dims under the glass and picked out a nice paint job. felt like i was part of the process and while it was more expensive than an off the shelf board, it was well worth it. it surfed beautifully.

Would vouch for mark from Powersource in a big way if its a shortboard you are looking for, whether its a mini-gun for solid reefs or a 2ft mushy modern fish. Great templates, fantastic quality materials (my last shortboard had a 10mm stringer, looked great!) and great one to one service.

Mark shapes hand shapes and machine shapes with hand finishes if you fancy either! Nice sprayer working for him too who will put whatever you want on the board!

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭glide

fundi wrote: »
    80 boards one year is only an average of 1.6 per week. If you take an average price per board of €500 (in round numbers ) thats €40,000 worth of turnover per year. Someone else said materials would be 200 per board, thats €16000, so that leaves a gross profit of 24000. Out of that you pay electricity, insurance, website, other overheads. However a mate in the pub after a surf reckoned if a shaper sells say 5 a week thats say €75000 worth of profit per year, plus income from ding repairs I guess. I told him I did not think shapers would sell 5 a week, but maybe I am wrong. Wonder how many surfboards are sold in Ireland each year?

Its a good question fundi its getting less each year with no shop support and no shops lol
    A few more shapers have gone too
    U have to factor in for a shaper to make 5 per week you need at least 1 worker! Thats easy €1500 per month in wages per worker :o(

I dont think any shaper here has ever done 5 per week for a long period!

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭glide

Heres a snap of some of the boards waiting on collection

baccdd41054f4484692be82b71e6e763.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭FirstinLastout

Photography's loss is surfing's gain!

Next up a pic of a black cat in the coal shed with the light turned out...:pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement