Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moving BB& phone from Vodafone to SKY..thought it would have been simpler than this

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

yea tried this. Told him I would prefer to hold on the line until the Manager is available than hang up and wait for a callback. Was told this was ridiculous as I would be on hold for 2 hours and I said im ok with this and was then told they could not let me hold on the line for 2 hours. if i didnt have a meeting in 15 mins I would have held on!
    I have contacted comreg and I got a mail back to say they are looking into this.
    I told the VF guy I was just talking to to let his manager know I want all recordings of my calls for comreg.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

fifib wrote: »
    so rang Vodafone twice yesterday after being "guaranteed" a callback within 2 hours. same spiel each time, manager is not available and I will email him directly to call you back in 2 hours...no call!
    Rang again just now same story..callback in 2 hours!
    how does anyone ever get to talk to a manager in this place?

Ring again and tell them you're not getting off the line until you speak to someone in charge. If they cut you off, ring back. A pain, I know, but set aside an hour or two and persevere. You need to become a bigger nuisance to them than they are to you.

Edit: I see 'muffler' got there before me :)

emeldc wrote: »
    Ring again and tell them you're not getting off the line until you speak to someone in charge. If they cut you off, ring back. A pain, I know, but set aside an hour or two and persevere. You need to become a bigger nuisance to them than they are to you.

I will do this in the afternoon when I have more time.

oh my god my head is melted with all this and the calls.
    rang sky again to see could we proceed with the order though it would probably take few weeks. they said they couldnt set me up without the UAN as my address is too vague to pin point the exact line. they told me only other option was to ring eircom and request the ARD key. rang eircom and got nowhere. they wont give out the key anymore. they told me my current service provider will have it to contact them. but of course I would not need it if I signed up with then.
    so I rang Vodafone again and was told they dont have it..surprise surprise. they told me SKY should be able to get it for me when signing me up! my head is spinning im going around in circles so much!!
    I demanded to talk to an manager and low and behold was put through to a manager who apologiesed for the cock up but said there was nothing they could do except do the same thing SKY would be doing in setting me upw ith a new line and as its a rural address it would require an engineer to come out and pinpoint the line and all this could take up to 60 days. so fine I said its your mess you put it right but as soon as im up and running again Im moving to another service provider, any as long as not Vodafone! So she kicked that off...though I know I will never hear from them again!!
    Rang sky back again to update them and see if they can reconnect me quicker. theyve basically said without the UAN or ARD key they cannot find my phone line and I will have to go back to Vodafone or sign up to Eircom!

are Vodafone, Eircom and Sky the only fixed line BB & home phone providers in Ireland? not a chance in hell will I stay with Vodafone. so looks like Eircom is my only option?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,143 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Why have you not got your UAN.? Its on all your bills

• Advertisement

muffler wrote: »
    Why have you not got your UAN.? Its on all your bills

If you read my first post i said Vodafone deactivated my UAN

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

So they can flick a switch to turn you off but it takes 3 weeks to turn you back on even though you didn't ask to be turned off. I'm not buying that and you deserve a better explanation. I never thought I would tell someone to ring Joe Duffy but maybe you could mention going public in your next call to VF and see if it speeds things up a bit.

If you read my first post i said Vodafone deactivated my UAN
    Just read it there and I am really confused now.

UAN is short for Universal Account Number which is basically a reference number that stays with the phone line or house. Whatever about a phone line being deactivated a reference number cant be.

The other confusing part of your op is where you say "I rang SKY and signed up to their offer. gave them UAN etc" and further on you say "SKY dont have the UAN"

well it has been!
    yes i gave sky my uan last Friday when switching over and when i rang back on Monday they said the order came back rejected as uan no longer exists.
    it seems they put order in a takes ages to search for in eircoms db and over that weekend Vodafone had deactivated the uan so order rejected on skys side

not really sure where to turn now. do i just wait for VF to put line in place or sign up with eircom. dont see I've any other options?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

muffler wrote: »
    Just read it there and I am really confused now.

UAN is short for Universal Account Number which is basically a reference number that stays with the phone line or house. Whatever about a phone line being deactivated a reference number cant be.

The other confusing part of your op is where you say "I rang SKY and signed up to their offer. gave them UAN etc" and further on you say "SKY dont have the UAN"

Once the UAN goes in active there is no way Sky can pull it across. Vodaphone have messed this up but Eircom are just sitting there taking no part in resolving the situation because it means they lose customers. They know people just give in and do what I'm going to suggest:

OP if you need BB your only real option for a quick resolution is back to Eircom I'm afraid.

As for other options there's satellite - expensive, with low download limits but bloody quick, wifi/local schemes and mobile (avoid mobile). Other than that there is UPC (not available) everyone else uses some part of the Eircom infrastructure including the unbundled providers like SMART.

The COMREG has gone a long way to making switching easier, in my mind eircom are still taking the p!ss in relation to inactive lines, delayed BB orders and ARD keys. I highly recommend taking this further OP, I'm sorry to hear about your plight. You might get some joy by e-mailing someone higher up in Sky, have a search around to see how to do that.

oh muffler I could kiss you and the eircom guy I just spoke to!!

I just rang Eircom to enquiry why Vodafone were allowed to just deactivate my UAN like they had, if they were allowed to do this or not and I was also going to enquiry about their BB&phone packages and prices.
    next thing I know the wonderful eircom guy is giving me the ARD key so Sky can set me up with BB & Phone now! havent gotten chance to ring SKY back with the key yet but Im delighted though I have such a pounding headache all morning from it all I just want to go home to bed! And I'm even happier to know I'll never have to listen to that stupid on hold music Vodafone play ever again.

Also got email from Comreg that I have to make formal complaint to Vodafone before they will intervene. I will take pleasure in it!

oh muffler I could kiss you
    If you're female then thats fine otherwise a pint will do :D

Seriously though Im delighted to hear that things have finally worked out for you :)
    And do follow through with the complaint as it may make them sit up and take notice of their failings.

Advertisement