Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat run

• 05-03-2014 3:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭

Hey folks! I'm in my daddies good books at the moment for some reason unknown to me, so he has decided that he is going to go ahead and build a run outside for my kitties :) the plan at the moment is to have it finished by summer, so I will update this thread as we go along so anyone else interested in doing something like this can see how it goes! Now my dads plan is to build something roughly the height of the kitchen table but about 3 times as long, the height will be enough for them to do a full body stretch. I'd like it to be taller but I'm not going to argue with him at the moment ;) I know him, and he always starts out with small ideas that tend to get bigger and bigger :P just wondering does anyone know where you can buy scratching post rope? I'd like to put some in along the posts so they cats won't destroy them with their claws!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

I find this site brilliant for cat run ideas http://www.catsofaustralia.com/cat-enclosures.htm#.UqZtNfRdW2E :) I'd love to build one but I'm a little DIY-challenged :P
    I know you can get sisal rope on amazon but I'v no idea about different qualities or prices, vaguely remember an old thread on here discussing it. My dad built a rabbit run a good few years back, used chicken wire but something chewed through it and killed him, so a heavier wire might be a good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

AFAIK you can get sisal rope in B&Q. We priced it as a carpenter was going to make scratching posts for us, but the price of the sisal rope was prohibitive. How about using carpet tiles instead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

boomerang wrote: »
    AFAIK you can get sisal rope in B&Q. We priced it as a carpenter was going to make scratching posts for us, but the price of the sisal rope was prohibitive. How about using carpet tiles instead?

I didn't think if carpet actually, that could work! Would it not stink if it got wet though? I was thinking of just getting ordinary rope or bailing twine or something like that instead if sisal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

boomerang wrote: »

you can get it in b&q you could also consider sash cord a lot cheaper and every bit as strong

id be wary of baler twine it shreads easily and could possibly get caught in the toes and cut them or break nails

will have a look in garage 2 morrow I did have about 3 rolls of sash cord if still there you can have foc and I can leave it in vets in limerick for you to collect if still there will pm you some time 2 morrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I know of someone that while building a house extension had to contain a cat (he kept getting in dangerous places) so used some builders fence panels and wire to tie it together.
    Around the bathroom window they put two panels upside down (legs were at top) and put one on top and one accross the end, it was longer than the pen was wide but they just tied it with wire.
    They had cement blocks to hold it steady and kitty was safe for a few weeks.
    If you can get a few of those panels you could cement legs in and make it permenant. Chicken wire roof?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

That sounds like a good idea actually! I think what my dad has planned it just to use chicken wire on the sides and roof but I'll see what I can work around :P

Advertisement