Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Umbrella buggy advice

Options
  • 05-03-2014 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭

i'm looking to get a lighter buggy for the shops and holidays. We've a Quinny buzz but its a bit heavy for always having to pull out of the boot.

anyone got any suggestions? Looking to spend 150 max probably.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Take a look at the Petit Zia,it is light and nicer to push then most strollers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Check donedeal for second hand McClarens or Zapp/ Zapp Xtras

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

+1 on the zapp - weight nothing, and fold up tiny

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

peteb2 wrote: »
    i'm looking to get a lighter buggy for the shops and holidays. We've a Quinny buzz but its a bit heavy for always having to pull out of the boot.

anyone got any suggestions? Looking to spend 150 max probably.

I literally asked the same question 2 weeks ago! A lot of people recommend the zia but you need to buy it online amazon had it for around £100. A childminder told me it is her favourite buggy of all time and she has used loads of buggies. I rang around shops for advice and the maclaren quest was suggested, the cheapest place is from Tralee nurseries €189 free delivery supposedly maclarens last forever. The silvercross pop was also suggested it is €99 from Tralee but it is not as sturdy as the maclaren or silvercross have another one called the pop. The Tralee owner recommended the pop over the maclaren if it's just for holiday and light use. I test drove the quinny zapp xtra and I find it very flimsy. I was chatting to a girl in symths the other day and she told me their new catalogue is out on friday so they will be reducing loads of their buggies but she doesn't think maclaren will be reduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

I saw Moonbeam recommend the Zia before but couldnt find it online.

That silvercross pop for 99 is actually a silvercross micro! Two different buggies.

not a huge range of buggies these days in Smyths to reduce anyways!! They tend to come and go!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

We use the city mini jogger. It folds in half with just one hand needed

I saw Moonbeam recommend the Zia before but couldnt find it online.

That silvercross pop for 99 is actually a silvercross micro! Two different buggies.

not a huge range of buggies these days in Smyths to reduce anyways!! They tend to come and go!

Sorry baby brain! The pop is more expensive I thinK €179 and very sturdy according to Tralee Man! The micro is a more lightweight but still very good :)
    I was in smyths in carrickmines and they had more buggies than mothercare belgard! This is the zia http://www.littlewoodsireland.ie/petite-star-zia-x-stroller/1114173130.prd
    I am sure amazon will get them back for £100. Kiddiecare also had a lime one with footmuff for £100 on sale.
    I am waiting to see the new uppababy g-luxe in the flesh

I just saw on pramworld that they have the zia in blue or pink for £99 plus £12.50 delivery
    http://www.pramworld.co.uk/petite-star-ziax-sky-blue-spot#.UxkQ_3ggGc0

We've a boy and the missus prefers non-gender specific colours so the blue is out. I did find another place that does factory seconds for £85 and new ones for £125. Can a refurbished one be that bad?

ooooooooh. Though I see Pramworld have the Silvercross Pop for £90. So now I am torn!!!

• Advertisement

ooooooooh. Though I see Pramworld have the Silvercross Pop for £90. So now I am torn!!!

Are you in a hurry for it, I am sure amazon will have them soon. I wouldn't bother a factory second and I would only pay £100 for the zia. Did you search it in google.co.uk as I am sure loads of sites will come up that have it. £90 is very good for the pop. Are you in dublin as tony kealy stocks it and mothercare belgard have it so you could see it in the flesh. If you are in a rush I would get that pop as Tralee man said that the pop is his second choice after the maclaren

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

Millem wrote: »
    Sorry baby brain! The pop is more expensive I thinK €179 and very sturdy according to Tralee Man! The micro is a more lightweight but still very good :)
    I was in smyths in carrickmines and they had more buggies than mothercare belgard! This is the zia http://www.littlewoodsireland.ie/petite-star-zia-x-stroller/1114173130.prd
    I am sure amazon will get them back for £100. Kiddiecare also had a lime one with footmuff for £100 on sale.
    I am waiting to see the new uppababy g-luxe in the flesh

Hi millem. I'm really interested in the uppa baby g luxe. Can't seem to find it anywhere. Could you tell me where you are going to see it? It's between this and the maclaren quest. Really like the look of the g luxe though and would like to compare it in the flesh with the maclaren.

cant26 wrote: »
    Hi millem. I'm really interested in the uppa baby g luxe. Can't seem to find it anywhere. Could you tell me where you are going to see it? It's between this and the maclaren quest. Really like the look of the g luxe though and would like to compare it in the flesh with the maclaren.

The Tralee man gets it from a company in malahide who supply uppababy to everyone! They are called clever clogs
    http://www.cleverclogs.ie/shop/uppababy-gluxe-denny-p-2361.html?cPath=177_190&zenid=4e26a376a430efe197cf816cb871b8bd
    I am going to see can I look at it with them. The new version is not in the shops here yet so I asked him will he reduced old model (kiddiecare sold it off for €109 or €129 can't remember but he said no that it will sell by itself! He recommends maclaren over uppababy as he has never had a maclaren back to him yet! He said uppababy is still very good but maclaren will last you 10 years or more and obviously uppababy isn't out that long! But I prefer the look of the uppababy and the new model folds sooooo easy and the canopy hood is brill too! There is a baby shop in Sligo that sells it too. I asked tony kealy but he is not getting it in as he only does silvercross strollers. Tralee man said it will be €169/€189

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

I also had a quinny buzz but bought the petite star zia for holidays and adored it!

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

The Tralee man gets it from a company in malahide who supply uppababy to everyone! They are called clever clogs
    http://www.cleverclogs.ie/shop/uppababy-gluxe-denny-p-2361.html?cPath=177_190&zenid=4e26a376a430efe197cf816cb871b8bd
    I am going to see can I look at it with them. The new version is not in the shops here yet so I asked him will he reduced old model (kiddiecare sold it off for €109 or €129 can't remember but he said no that it will sell by itself! He recommends maclaren over uppababy as he has never had a maclaren back to him yet! He said uppababy is still very good but maclaren will last you 10 years or more and obviously uppababy isn't out that long! But I prefer the look of the uppababy and the new model folds sooooo easy and the canopy hood is brill too! There is a baby shop in Sligo that sells it too. I asked tony kealy but he is not getting it in as he only does silvercross strollers. Tralee man said it will be €169/€189

Thanks for all the info. will check out clever clogs. I'm in galway so sligo wouldn't be too far to travel. Definitely won't be making the trip to Tralee! I want to try and research my stroller choice a bit better than my travel system! Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Thanks for all the info. will check out clever clogs. I'm in galway so sligo wouldn't be too far to travel. Definitely won't be making the trip to Tralee! I want to try and research my stroller choice a bit better than my travel system! Thanks again.

The Sligo store deliver free me thinks...

Ring clever clogs they will give you a list of suppliers if any in your area so you can see it in the flesh! Then you can order off whoever gives you best price or local shop might price match? I always find Tralee man the cheapest but I just tell local shop and they price match no questions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Sligo1 wrote: »
    The Sligo store deliver free me thinks...

If it's Kool Kidz, then yes they do!

However there was a huge delay in delivering my travel system to Dublin before Christmas, it was a pain in the arse because I'd taken my very last day of annual leave on the day it was supposed to arrive, and then they kept arranging different days and times the next couple of weeks but then having to cancel and reschedule again. In fairness they were very apologetic about it, but it was still a bit annoying having to hang around the house and it not showing up ... it was a good thing the baby hadn't arrived yet!

Perhaps that was just before the Xmas rush? I find them so good and so reliable. Waiting for my new double buggy at this time :)... Can't wait to see it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Perhaps that was just before the Xmas rush? I find them so good and so reliable. Waiting for my new double buggy at this time :)... Can't wait to see it!

I don't know ... we'd bought and paid for it a few months in advance, it was originally meant to be delivered in November, I think it was after Christmas by the time it finally came! I was due 4th January, but I wasn't too worried, as I knew that, if it came to it, my parents (who live in Sligo) could collect it and bring it up if the baby arrived before the travel system.

And as I said they were very nice and apologetic about it - but that day I'd taken off, I'd checked and re-checked and re-checked again with them to be sure it would be delivered, as I couldn't get a day off, and they promised it would be definitely there that day! After they didn't deliver that day, they said they'd deliver on an evening or weekend to suit me as I couldn't get another day off, but just kept cancelling and rescheduling (without telling me - I had to ring them each time.)

But in fairness I've never heard anyone else having poor experiences with them - I think I was just unlucky!

• Advertisement

ah yea, its annoying when something doesnt come on time. Especially when you've organised to take a day off for it! they've ordered mine now so hopefully will be in any day. now i just need to get this baby moving!

ah yea, its annoying when something doesnt come on time. Especially when you've organised to take a day off for it! they've ordered mine now so hopefully will be in any day. now i just need to get this baby moving!

Sligo1 which double buggy did you go for ?

Sligo1 which double buggy did you go for ?

I ended up going for the City Jogger City Mini Double. I ruled out the donkey and the city select as I just thought there was too much to put on and take off. I liked the way the city mini just folded up and I could throw it in the boot. It's also the lighter of the 3. I've yet to establish if the side by side space issue will annoy me tho (a tandem would prob have been easier for shopping etc). I also would have liked baby to be facing me... But I spose you can't have everything.

I ended up going for the City Jogger City Mini Double. I ruled out the donkey and the city select as I just thought there was too much to put on and take off. I liked the way the city mini just folded up and I could throw it in the boot. It's also the lighter of the 3. I've yet to establish if the side by side space issue will annoy me tho (a tandem would prob have been easier for shopping etc). I also would have liked baby to be facing me... But I spose you can't have everything.

I was actually going to pm you I saw someone (who is closing down their nursery shop) selling lots of the stokke crusi on adverts. Very good price!
    It looks fab but I don't know if they are any good! I have to laugh at my neighbour she hated her double buggy so much that she sometimes she would leave it in her front garden hoping someone would rob it lol lol!

Ah thanks you're awful good. Lol... I'm dreading the whole double thing tbh! I love my little maclaren... It's just so easy! I'm thinking what I might do tho is if I only have to go out for a walk or for an hour to the shops ect just take my fella in the maclaren and pop newborn in a sling. But I know I won't get away with that for long periods of time.

I'm gonna try and go to a sling meet once baby is born and see how I get on :)... Just so I dont have to take the double everywhere. Lols

Ah thanks you're awful good. Lol... I'm dreading the whole double thing tbh! I love my little maclaren... It's just so easy! I'm thinking what I might do tho is if I only have to go out for a walk or for an hour to the shops ect just take my fella in the maclaren and pop newborn in a sling. But I know I won't get away with that for long periods of time.

I'm gonna try and go to a sling meet once baby is born and see how I get on :)... Just so I dont have to take the double everywhere. Lols

I see a lot of those city double selects around but never saw your one in the flesh. The sling seems like a great idea I bought a baby carrier when I was preggers at amazon family event, put the babs in it for the crack last week and omg it felt like being preggers again! Real heavy! Although I think slings are meant to be way better than carriers! Babs loved being in the carrier! I orginally bought it thinking it would be great for housework lol :)

I see a lot of those city double selects around but never saw your one in the flesh. The sling seems like a great idea I bought a baby carrier when I was preggers at amazon family event, put the babs in it for the crack last week and omg it felt like being preggers again! Real heavy! Although I think slings are meant to be way better than carriers! Babs loved being in the carrier! I orginally bought it thinking it would be great for housework lol :)

Lol... I actually don't know how I'm gonna manage housework with a newborn and a 15month old who's just started running! Hahaha..

Lol... I actually don't know how I'm gonna manage housework with a newborn and a 15month old who's just started running! Hahaha..

I couldn't imagine between nappies and feeding for you! When he is mobile I plan on using a travel cot as a "baby jail" in the kitchen lol lol but I only have one babs!

I couldn't imagine between nappies and feeding for you! When he is mobile I plan on using a travel cot as a "baby jail" in the kitchen lol lol but I only have one babs!

I have a mini jail (baby dan play pen) for him. He plays in it for 30 min every morning while I shower and empty dishwasher etc. it's a lifesaver!!!! Keeps him safe and keeps my sanity. Any more than 30 minutes tho and I hear about it!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

we love the baby jail too:) it makes life so much easier for me.
    You get used to doubles easily I am in to my 4th year of them (out 'n about nipper) and have at least 2 more.

Advertisement