Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gift for an Asian business

Options
  • 05-03-2014 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

I'm heading over to Vietnam for the first time next week. Visiting a company that I have been working with for the past year and going to their office in Saigon for a tour etc.

I would like to bring over something "irish" for them as a gift as it will be St Patricks Day when I arrive

has anyone ever done this before? bringing gifts over for a business in Asia or other locations? any decent gift suggestions would be welcome!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

I always bring my asian business contacts an Irish Single Malt but generally buy it in Dublin duty free http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/C-320.aspx

goes down very well especially the less well known, get the story and tell your host, dey love a bit of de auld culture!!

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Buttercake

yeah i was thinking that in the duty free

might have a look in the gift shops in town, a tin whistle! or an inflatable shamrock

Buttercake wrote: »
    yeah i was thinking that in the duty free

might have a look in the gift shops in town, a tin whistle! or an inflatable shamrock

and made in China perhaps!!.. now that would be real "classy" right enough.

ha yeah, will remember that!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

+1 on whiskey.

It's becoming really popular over in Asia. There's a few threads over in Beer, Wine and Spirits recommending whiskeys at different price levels.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I'm heading over to Vietnam for the first time next week. Visiting a company that I have been working with for the past year and going to their office in Saigon for a tour etc.

I would like to bring over something "irish" for them as a gift as it will be St Patricks Day when I arrive

has anyone ever done this before? bringing gifts over for a business in Asia or other locations? any decent gift suggestions would be welcome!

I used to work for a MN and regularly travelled the region. Business culture in Vietnam is largely the same as that throughout Asia. Present and receive a business card with both hands and treat the card with respect, never just shove it into your pocket.
    The Vietnamese are punctual so be on time. They are formal, and while a jacket can be dispensed with it is usual to wear a proper shirt and tie. While you might also be going there on holidays, meeting your contact is WORK so dress appropriately otherwise it would be seen as a sign of disrespect. They are very hospitable and it is polite and usual to accept their offer of a cup of tea when offered. Gift-giving is an important feature of a business relationship. If you think you will be invited to your contact’s home bring a gift for his wife (Irish soaps/scented products would be ideal) and children (Irish sweets) and preferably use that occasion to give him his gift, rather than at his office (particularly if he is an employee). Never give the same size/value gift to senior and junior people. The wrapping is important; use colourful paper, plain red is OK but never use white (colour of mourning.) Irish linen handkerchiefs are a no-no (handkerchief use is regarded as disgusting).
    Whiskey is a popular gift but be careful if giving it in a business setting as it can be construed as a bribe. It is far better to bring lots of smaller gifts and spread them around (or even bring them back home) rather than have just one or two ‘big’ gifts and run short. It is polite to return hospitality so do not accept too many free meals without responding with your own invite - best to let them pick a place as it is your first time.
    Do not talk about the war.
    Bring him a plastic shamrock and you destroy your reputation and affect that of Ireland.
    Enjoy the trip!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

We stock some of this stuff http://www.cloverrua.com/ its nice and Irish and avoids being all tacky and green and is actually made in Ireland!

Had you been around in my day jimmii I would have been a big customer! That is the type of gift that goes down very well anywhere, bring out a tube of posters and distribute as appropriate! New exporters in particular fail to understand/appreciate the interest there is in Ireland. I used to stock up on cut glass mini-pieces and bog oak ornaments when I came 'home' and the latter were so unusual I'm told I'm still remembered as the 'Irish guy with the million year old candlesticks.' I know I'm dating myself when I talk about Cross pens, little clocks, business card holders, etc. (you need only so many) but I do remember a time when a Black & Decker or a pair of Levis was the most valued gift and a deal clincher in the USSR!

bodhran is a good one. Whiskey you can't go wrong with either. Bushmills 10 year old single malt will not fail to impress.

Had you been around in my day jimmii I would have been a big customer! That is the type of gift that goes down very well anywhere, bring out a tube of posters and distribute as appropriate! New exporters in particular fail to understand/appreciate the interest there is in Ireland. I used to stock up on cut glass mini-pieces and bog oak ornaments when I came 'home' and the latter were so unusual I'm told I'm still remembered as the 'Irish guy with the million year old candlesticks.' I know I'm dating myself when I talk about Cross pens, little clocks, business card holders, etc. (you need only so many) but I do remember a time when a Black & Decker or a pair of Levis was the most valued gift and a deal clincher in the USSR!

Yeh people are mad for Ireland! I once sold used Dublin bus tickets (the ones that get printed off by the machine when you pay with change!) and got bids from Italy and USA I couldn't believe it!! Crazy, crazy people out there!!

• Advertisement

Jayzus, I thought I had the old guy on here mantle secured as a mid 1952 model, but perhaps Pedroeibar has seniority!!

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭terryhobdell

Buttercake as one would expect you have got top notch advice from this group the best of luck on your trip and play the Irish card it is a winner.

Brilliant post by pedroeibar1! Thanks a million for your time.

Will buy something of Jimmis site, bottles of whiskey are grand but I'm not much of a drinker myself so I'd like to get something else along with a wee bottle of Jammie.

Jayzus, I thought I had the old guy on here mantle secured as a mid 1952 model, but perhaps Pedroeibar has seniority!!

Nope, @ mid 1952 you have that position, anyway I'm not a contender :).

True story – on a visit to a company in Tokyo I brought along a new guy from HQ. Told him about the business card bit, adding that it is polite to look at it and say something like ‘I see you are senior VP ‘ or ‘You are based in X / this building/wherever.’ So we met the guys, usual exchange of cards and my guy after a mumble says ‘Ah, your number is 4992 123456’. Later I asked him what the# # he was on about with the number thing and he replied that he could not read Japanese. I then had to explain to him that an English version of the card is inevitably printed on its back and he should have turned it over. FWIW he now lives in Hong Kong and is regional manager.

One day Butterfly!!

Brilliant post by pedroeibar1! Thanks a million for your time.

Will buy something of Jimmis site, bottles of whiskey are grand but I'm not much of a drinker myself so I'd like to get something else along with a wee bottle of Jammie.

Thats not my site thats a new designer who launched last year things have gone pretty well for them so far. We stock some of their stuff as well though. They won the prize for best homewares product at Showcase recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭bizidea

When I was doing business in Asia mainly China I always brought a couple of bottles of whiskey along or some small bog oak ornaments found they always loved the bog oak because it was so old and had such history and was a natural product. Brought a little tacky piece of connemara marble that you get in the tourist shops that you rub to relieve stress and the guy loved it still had it on his desk two years later. the business card thing is big as well so watch out for that also always cover your mouth if you have to yawn or if you ever use a tooth pick which are usually provided always cover your mouth as this is considered the height of ignorance if you dont.You are never supposed to show your emotions either like getting angry or annoyed when out. good luck

Advertisement