Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Foreign currency @ short notice

• 05-03-2014 4:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

HI,
    I need to get some South African Rand (~ €150 worth) by Friday, but i have not pre-ordered it. BOI say that it has to be pre-ordered (five days notice), so that won't work.
    They also say that i can get it at the airport, but i think that the airport Bureau de Change tends to be very expensive/poor value.

Does anybody have any idea where i could get rand at short notice?
    Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Call other banks.

BOI would not even give me UK Sterling with 3 days notice even though I'm with them for 30 yrs and offered to go to any branch to collect.

Make sure you ask them their rate so you can google currency exchange at the airports (Thomas Cook) - the Irish Banks are just as able to take a nice junk in rates/fees as anyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

There was a currency exchange shop on Westmoreland Street (I think it's called Fexco, I believe they have one in the square too). They seem to carry most major currencies and you apparently get a better rate if you reserve it online. Not much use to you if you're not from dublin though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Airport exchange rates are a bit of a rip off alright but if it comes to it they should be able to sort you. I got NZ$ there when a friend needed to get some in a pinch.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 KevinEldon

I need to get €8/900 changed into $ soon.I usually just use the post office (GPO) whenever I need sterling, but that's normally only changing €200 or so into £.Would I need to phone ahead to make sure they have enough dollars?

Or would anyone recommend a better foreign exchange service in Dublin?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭CarPark2

Thanks to everybody who replied.
    I have it booked at Fexco on Westmoreland St, and a better rate than BoI!

• Advertisement
Advertisement