Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1.5Gb Barracuda HDD problems

Options
  • 05-03-2014 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭

My HDD started giving problems last week (XP SP3). When accessing it, it would freeze. I tried running CHKDSK /F but it also froze at stage 1 @ 89%. I left it for 25 hours, and it didn't budge. I swapped SATA sockets and cables, but no change.

I put it in another PC with XP. Once activated in Disk Management, it worked fine. Ran chkdsk 3 times without problems. 28kb of bad sectors were found. Tried accessing files - no issues.

Put it back in the original PC. It was instantly recognised, could see the directory structure - but as soon as I tried accessing the files, it froze again.

I tried it in another third machine (Win7 64bit), with the same results - could see the folders and files, but would freeze on accessing them. A CHKDSK on this machine came to a crawl too.

So, I put it back in the one PC that it works fine on. I've now pulled 300GB of data to/from it with NO issues. CHKDSK ran fine too.

So - any ideas on how a HDD is perfect on one machine, but not on two others???

Advertisement