Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Hire USA & Sat Nav

Options
  • 05-03-2014 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

i was looking at a few car hire websites in the US of A yesterday. The price given was the basic price of car hire, but sat nav costs extra, up to $20+ a day which mounts up.
    My phone has google maps which i use to get around here in ireland, so should also work stateside? but would data costs be astronomical as i'd be using it every day for approx 12 days.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭irishbloke77

who_ru wrote: »
    Hi all,

i was looking at a few car hire websites in the US of A yesterday. The price given was the basic price of car hire, but sat nav costs extra, up to $20+ a day which mounts up.
    My phone has google maps which i use to get around here in ireland, so should also work stateside? but would data costs be astronomical as i'd be using it every day for approx 12 days.

Don't turn on 3G at all, and just download a free sat nav via the apps store or the play store. It uses your gps on the phone and won't use 3G and avoids all costs. Doesn't need internet at all.

Also, watch out for USA car hire, it usually doesn't include the insurance if you book it on an American website. Try using a UK/Ireland website as it includes most insurance. Try travelsupermarket.com or skyscanner.net for prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭blackplum123

Hi , I was in California last week . I used co-pilot on my galaxy note 3. it cost me a fiver and it worked a treat. make sure u have a car charger as sat nav heats up the phone if running off the battery.also make sure phone is on flight mode so no extra charges are incurred.
    Also if its any use.... I used whats app to communicate back home when in wifi spots. dosnt cost a penny and works great.

ps co-pilot does not use data

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Bannerman7

I find it best to book & pre pay for a car here before you cross the big pond. I use Trailfinders and find is great to have insurance sorted before I go.

http://www.trailfinders.ie/car-hire/usa

Re Sat Nav .... You could pick up one very reasonable from Walmart for under $100
    http://www.walmart.com/browse/electronics/gps-navigation/3944_538883/?;tab_value=Online&;waRef=125875.331257&ref=125875.331257&ic=48_0&povid=P1171-C1110.2784+1455.2776+1115.2956-L9

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

Hi , I was in California last week . I used co-pilot on my galaxy note 3. it cost me a fiver and it worked a treat. make sure u have a car charger as sat nav heats up the phone if running off the battery.also make sure phone is on flight mode so no extra charges are incurred.
    Also if its any use.... I used whats app to communicate back home when in wifi spots. dosnt cost a penny and works great.

ps co-pilot does not use data

Do I need to download maps first?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Hi. Has anybody any idea as to what insurance is compulsory for US?
    I have
    * Insurance ( - Collision Damage Waiver - Theft Protection - 3rd Party Liability - Supplementary Liability Insurance - Uninsured Motorist Protection )

Not Included
    * Supplementary Insurance to cover injuries to drivers &/or passengers

Is the "not included" compulsory?
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Nelly 21

Bannerman7 wrote: »
    I find it best to book & pre pay for a car here before you cross the big pond. I use Trailfinders and find is great to have insurance sorted before I go.

http://www.trailfinders.ie/car-hire/usa

Re Sat Nav .... You could pick up one very reasonable from Walmart for under $100
    http://www.walmart.com/browse/electronics/gps-navigation/3944_538883/?;tab_value=Online&;waRef=125875.331257&ref=125875.331257&ic=48_0&povid=P1171-C1110.2784+1455.2776+1115.2956-L9

We bought a sat nav last year in the US due to ridiculous charges from car hire companies. It cost less than 100 and works perfect. You have it if you travel there again

I always book and pay for car hire before we go to the US. I book the insurance separate as well with blue insurance.

Be on the ball with the car hire in america..... They ask a million questions and try to get you to buy extra stuff, upgrades and the like. The only thing we ever take is the full tank of gas, then you haven't to worry about leaving it back full or finding somewhere to fill it up

By the way i find www.arguscarhire.ie to be very good

Andrea B. wrote: »
    Hi. Has anybody any idea as to what insurance is compulsory for US?
    I have
    * Insurance ( - Collision Damage Waiver - Theft Protection - 3rd Party Liability - Supplementary Liability Insurance - Uninsured Motorist Protection )

Not Included
    * Supplementary Insurance to cover injuries to drivers &/or passengers

Is the "not included" compulsory?
    Thanks

I'm not sure what the ins and outs are for insurance cover. I've always booked with blue insurance and find them good. If you look them up you might find what you need

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Sorry. What I meant was I have booked a car for US through rentalcars.com (UK), and they are the T&C regarding insurance.

Andrea B. wrote: »
    Sorry. What I meant was I have booked a car for US through rentalcars.com (UK), and they are the T&C regarding insurance.
    I just booked my car through kayak for 13 days, i booked an intermediate car plus GPS - (as this was just less than $50 for the two weeks). I then bought a car hire excess policy from blue insurance for the duration of the trip for 55 euro. The car hire company was asking 81 euros for the same thing.

I'm going to insist on a Japanese car when i get there for fuel efficiency, definitely don't want an Amercian car with the possible exception of Ford as they generally have poor MPG.

I was told by a guy who was over there last summer that when filling up at a fuel station you pay first then fill up - can anyone confirm this?

I just booked my car through kayak for 13 days, i booked an intermediate car plus GPS - (as this was just less than $50 for the two weeks). I then bought a car hire excess policy from blue insurance for the duration of the trip for 55 euro. The car hire company was asking 81 euros for the same thing.

I'm going to insist on a Japanese car when i get there for fuel efficiency, definitely don't want an Amercian car with the possible exception of Ford as they generally have poor MPG.

I was told by a guy who was over there last summer that when filling up at a fuel station you pay first then fill up - can anyone confirm this?

The last few times we went I think we got a chevy cruz and chevy aveo. All big cars with great comfort. I have to say though Gas prices were surprisingly cheap and went a good distance before having to fill it up.

My husband did have to pay for gas before pumping. I think they have to unlock pumps and the like

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Insist away, but the amount of American cars that they have on their books, will generally out number the foreign ones by a considerable amount. American cars are just generally cheaper for them to buy & maintain. They may not have a Japanese car to give you on the day, unless you arrange ahead of time to hire a specific make and model.

On the payment thing, it depends on how you are paying. Most gas stations have a system in place, where you select how you are paying when you get there. There is a keypad by the pump, with the options of Cash Inside, Card Inside, Card Outside. If you select cash inside, you will go inside, tell the cashier how much you want to pay on your pump. You hand over the cash and the pump will be operational when you get back out to your car. The pump will cut off when you are about 50 cents away from what you paid for.

If you want to pay by credit card & not go inside, you press 'Pay outside with card' & you insert your card into the reader by the pump. It will put a hold of $1 on your card and unlock the pump. After you are finished pumping, it will charge your card the full amount of your purchase & spit you out a receipt. You press 'Pay inside with card' if you want to pay inside with you card and, pay for some snacks along with your petrol.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Insist away, but the amount of American cars that they have on their books, will generally out number the foreign ones by a considerable amount. American cars are just generally cheaper for them to buy & maintain. They may not have a Japanese car to give you on the day, unless you arrange a head of time to hire a specific make and model.

So it's the henry ford mentality 'you can have any car you like so long as it's American".

The customer has paid the required fee and wants best value for money that the company has, but must accept whatever he/she is,given.

Well I will insist away, I mean I have actually paid in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

So it's the henry ford mentality 'you can have any car you like so long as it's American".

The customer has paid the required fee and wants best value for money that the company has, but must accept whatever he/she is,given.

No. I didn't say that. I said that the car hire company may not actually have a Japaneses car to give you, when you show up. If they have one available in the price range that you have booked and paid for, they will be happy to give it to you. But they may not have one, given that most of the car rental companies usually have more American cars on their books than foreign ones.

I am fussy about the rental cars I drive too. I have often turned down the car that was originally assigned to me and requested a different one. The folks at the desk are generally happy to oblige. But if they don't actually have any Japanese cars on the day that you arrive, what more can they do, but offer you what they do have?

If your are renting a car with one of the mega huge companies such as Hertz or Avis, or you are picking it up at one of the major airports, you should have tons and tons of cars to choose from. But if it is with a smaller company, or you are picking it up at a smaller airport or a city centre location, you won't have as much choice. That is why I suggested trying to pre book a specific make and model, if what you drive is that important to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

USA car hire double book as they do with everything so dont be one bit surprised to arrive and be given a different car to the one you agreed before you go. Its just the way its done over there

And yes you pay for gas before filling

Get the GPS sorted before you go, dont even attempt to leave the car park withotu a GPS. One of the scariest experiences i ever had was my first time in USA , i thought i was a smart guy that didnt need GPS. Left the airport in LA and entered a highway with 8 lanes and cars whizzing past - ruined the first few days of the trip until i got gps

Also if you book gps with the agency, again there is no guarantee there will be one available when you land, its all first come first serve so bring your own!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

On the paying for gas, most pumps I came across required a ZIP code with your card, so for non-US cards it means going inside with cash.

Another thing I came across was the octane ratings. The rating listed on the car (Ford Focus) was a bit below what was available at the pumps I encountered.

Iirc there was also some inconsistency in the colouring at the pumps when it came to diesel/gas or something like that.

mickman wrote: »

Also if you book gps with the agency, again there is no guarantee there will be one available when you land, its all first come first serve so bring your own!
    you're sure about that? booked and paid in advance but total lottery in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Kerry Gooner

When collecting rental car in Orlando airport from Alamo I was given choice of any car from a bay of about 10 vehicles. Due to volumn of customers this may not be available in every location

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Bannerman7

When collecting rental car in Orlando airport from Alamo I was given choice of any car from a bay of about 10 vehicles. Due to volumn of customers this may not be available in every location

Yeah with Alamo you get to pick the car yourself but this only applies at Alamo airport locations. If you are renting from Alamo at a downtown location you don't get to choose.

If you are filling up at a petrol station remember that black is petrol & green is diesel. Here in Ireland as we all know green is petrol and black is diesel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Google maps on an android phone works perfectly in the states.
    The free app called Drive is excellent and uses google maps.
    It will bring you anywhere,with the person talking the directions for you.
    There's no need at all for to have any separate sat nav.Just bring a suction cup for the dash and a cigarette charger for your phone as it's heavy on the battery and you will need it plugged in whilst driving.

It also needs a local data connection,edge will do,so get a local sim.You'll use it anyway for texts and calls.
    T mobile have one that does data unlimited calls and texts to U.S numbers for around 50 dollars,that's valid for a month prepay.

As for buying fuel,all you need do,is pull up at the pump,go inside to the shop and pre pay for the amount you need.You can do that at them all,there's no need to worry.
    Enjoy your trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Roadrat

On the SatNav . ...try Navmii which I find quite good. It gives voice directions and you don't need data or a sim card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

In the old days when you visited a country and rented a car it would always be domestically manufactured.

I think the cars stocked by the american rental companies are predominately american. I would expect that. Although I've rented japanese cars from them too. I had a toyota camry from National a few weeks ago.

definitely don't want an Amercian car with the possible exception of Ford as they generally have poor MPG.

:confused:

While the quality may not be up to japanese standards, american cars do compete reasonably with the japanese makes in the US car market.

Indeed a few of the smaller offerings from the Big3 US makers are imported jap models re-badged.

So I wouldnt worry about it. Petrol is pretty cheap anyway.

I would recommend avoid Hyundai's and Chryslers though. I'd put them on the lowest rung qualitywise.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

For what it is worth, you can get N. American maps for €79 for a Garmin satnav, but they won't fit on mine until I get a SD card. :(
    That said I've previously done 10,000 miles in the US, with no Satnav, but with a thing called a map.

The second observation is that I've noticed cracking car hire rates 24 hours out from the date, this may not be true at all times of the year but is worth considering, although less convenient than booking further out.

Hard to generalize about Petrol station procedures. There's fifty different states a lot of them with different rules.

I've been here 20 years and I would say that generally you pay after you've filled up. Some places may ask you to pay first if they've had issues with people doing a runner but there will generally be notices reminding you of that. A lot of times the "Pay First" pumps are the ones furthest away from the cashier.

In the states of New Jersey and Oregon you cant pump your own petrol at all. They have attendants who come and do it for you. Its not a courtesy thing its the law, you are not allowed to use the pumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Roadrat

Thanks everyone for all the help I got on this forum. Have now booked my jeep with separate car hire insurance plus annual multi trip cover. Using car hire firm would have cost over €920. Got it for under €600. Thanks everyone. That Blue Insurance tip was worth it......no I have no link to company .

Advertisement