Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Madeira cake to suit a 13" x 9" x 2" rectangular tin.

Options
  • 05-03-2014 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

Hello there,
    I was wondering if anyone can help with my query. I'm planning on making a simple madeira cake using a 13 x 9 x 2" tin or 33 x 23 x 5cm tin ;)

This will be my first time making one and as its going to be for a 30th birthday i want to get it right.

I'm having problems online when searching for that specific size. I've been trawling the internet all afternoon to no avail or maybe not looking in the right places :(

Has anyone made a madeira that size before and if so would you have a proper list of ingredients you have used? From what i've noticed on the internet, everybody's idea differs slightly.

Thanks a million :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

It's usually trial and error to get an exact size. I would advise you to do a trial run with it before doing one for an actual party.

http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/my-mother-in-laws-madeira-cake-103

Double the quantities of this recipe should fit your tin. The timing won't be doubled though so you'll have to watch it very closely but don't take it out of the oven too many times.

Or you could do this recipe twice in your tin and sandwich the cakes.

Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭fizzlepurplefuz

Thank you very much Cathmandooo :) I'll give that recipe a try :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

Lindy Smith, cake decorator, is good for information like that

Here is her madeira recipe. And here is how to scale up a recipe.

I would use the 11" square quantities for a 13 x 9 tin.

Hope that helps!

Thank you Animord, that website gives a good indication of scaling up :):)

So i had a go at making the madeira cake today :)
    I doubled the quantities and followed Nigella's recipe.
    The mix came out quite thick but i still went ahead and popped it into the oven.
    It came out too crispy around the edges but the top was golden brown however it domed on me and did crack in places lol.....sounds like a disaster but it still tastes nice :D:D Its a little too sweet but it tastes yummy with a cup of tae :D

Anyhow i was thinking i might try and make a sponge cake and see how i fair with that.
    I am planning on putting fondant icing over it and decorating it which is why i was thinking of using madeira, the thinking being that it was stronger or something :D
    Anyhoo if you have any recommendations on what i could maybe do better or if the sponge would be better i am all ears :D

Thanks again for all your help with this :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

While madeira is good for covering with sugarpaste, it can be done with victoria sponge recipes.

If your madeira peaked up you might have a hotter than usual oven, lower the temp slightly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

You are right - madeira will carry a heavier weight of icing whish is why a lot of people use it. Personally I prefer a Victoria sponge so would rather that, but it is up to you really.

Advertisement