Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Elections 2014: What issues will you be raising with candidates at the door?

Options
  • 05-03-2014 6:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭

The local elections are coming up on May 23rd. So with that in mind, what are the issues important to you and that you would like to see the candidates address? Over the course of the campaign Boards is going to try to engage with local election candidates and run Q&A sessions with them, so this is your first chance to tell them what you'll be asking them should they call to your door.

Obviously there's potential for this thread to become contentious, so a couple of ground rules:

NO politician bashing - this isn't about slagging off X candidate or Y party, it's about getting proper discussion going on what issues face Dublin City and what the candidates can expect to be grilled on.

NO politicians - feel free to keep an eye on this thread, but you'll get your chance later. This thread is for your potential future constituents only.

Political affiliations - if you're going to be involved in campaigning for a candidate or in the organisation of any party/group's campaign, you must declare this in your first post in this thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

All of Dublin or just D15?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

This is the Dublin City forum... not D15 ;)

You stated it not me 11th sentance must be a typo.

Anyway my Q will be the large payments to the public servants on retirement and I meen all of them and large pension pots we cannot afford them so why are we paying them.

The unhealthy awarding of state contracts to certain indevidus that donate political parties.

No accountabity in all of the Public Service including the Government.

The lack of on street waste bins in the suburbs.

Why are recycle facilities closed at weekends

Police be given powers too inter fear in domestic arguments.

These are just a few and not a member of a Polictical party.

So I did, that's what I get for stealing the D15 forums post! Silly me!

January wrote: »
    The local elections are coming up on May 23rd. So with that in mind, what are the issues important to you and that you would like to see the candidates address? Over the course of the campaign Boards is going to try to engage with local election candidates and run Q&A sessions with them, so this is your first chance to tell them what you'll be asking them should they call to your door.

Obviously there's potential for this thread to become contentious, so a couple of ground rules:

NO politician bashing - this isn't about slagging off X candidate or Y party, it's about getting proper discussion going on what issues face Dublin 15 and what the candidates can expect to be grilled on.

NO politicians - feel free to keep an eye on this thread, but you'll get your chance later. This thread is for your potential future constituents only.

Political affiliations - if you're going to be involved in campaigning for a candidate or in the organisation of any party/group's campaign, you must declare this in your first post in this thread.

Its bolded

• Advertisement

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I won't open the door to any of them. Easy ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

What is their view on urban decay. Parts of the city are crumbling. I visited Berlin last month and the thing that shocked me was unlike Dublin. There was little or no empty plots of land in the city center eg Church Street has a few massive empty plots. Also there was no crumbling buildings unlike Dublin 1 or Dublin 2. Why does no one in DCC care that the CC is gradually getting rougher and rougher looking. They could at least encourage empty plots to be turned into temporary parks like the flats that they demolished beside Parrnell Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Not gonna ask them anything - I'm going to tell them to vote in favour of the Dublin Mayor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Hootanany wrote: »
    You stated it not me 11th sentance must be a typo.

Anyway my Q will be the large payments to the public servants on retirement and I meen all of them and large pension pots we cannot afford them so why are we paying them.

The unhealthy awarding of state contracts to certain indevidus that donate political parties.

No accountabity in all of the Public Service including the Government.

The lack of on street waste bins in the suburbs.

Why are recycle facilities closed at weekends

Police be given powers too inter fear in domestic arguments.

These are just a few and not a member of a Polictical party.

The bolded two and perhaps the first are not issues in the control of local politicians. Why would you focus on things these people cannot change?

• Advertisement

Sorry for my spelling I was on my phone.

To answer your question, It is to let them know that we/ I am not happy with these things. So I was just getting it out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭tyview

For me it will be the proposed withdrawal of ambulance services from Dublin Fire Brigade to NAS

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

no non-catholic schools in Finglas
    Disgraceful bus service
    Scramber bikes on footpaths/destroying parks etc.

John Mason wrote: »
    no non-catholic schools in Finglas
    Disgraceful bus service
    Scramber bikes on footpaths/destroying parks etc.

There's the Protestant school up near the jolly topper pub.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

We are not COI and are not converting to COI or Catholicism

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

That's a matter for the Department of Education though, not a local issue.

Have you been in contact with Educate Together to see if there are enough like-minded parents in the area?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 CONSCAN

I want to know what value for money I am getting for household charge,
    when are you going to stop dipping into my Pension,
    I am not falling for [Celebrity] candidates it's a cheap shot at the young voter, and a Gimmick,
    I have seen some of the hardship caused by this Gov,they are not in tune with real world, the latest Waste of money is mind blowing Poolbeg Incinerator and Water Ireland, same Guy in charge of Both.

John Mason wrote: »
    We are not COI and are not converting to COI or Catholicism

What about the non denomination school on Lysney Road of Iona.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

how do you find out who the candidates for your area are?
    :/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

http://www.dublincity.ie/YOURCOUNCIL/LOCALELECTIONS/Pages/LocalElections.aspx

Ooops, sorry. My mistake. Above link doesn't answer your question.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

http://adriankavanaghelections.org/category/candidates-local-elections-2014/

Not the best layout but all the info is there.

Election Literature for each constituency.

https://irishelectionliterature.wordpress.com/index-of-electionsparty-literature/leaflets-from-2014-local-election-candidates/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

As a city centre resident it is more quality of life things I will be raising.

1. The general scumbaggery in certain parts of the city being tolerated (open drug use and dealing).
    2. Alarms. They are a curse and should be dealt with by some enforceable by-law.
    3. Too many taxis driving aggressively and poorly about the place. Congregating in certain spots blocking roads and footpaths.
    4. The accountability of the councillors. It is next to impossible to find out how they vote on certain items other than watching a video of the vote to see who raises their hand.

Having said that I live in an apartment and they never call around anyway. If they did I would be unlikely to answer the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Nominations don't close until May 3 so could end up being a lot more candidates than those on posters that you see at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

Here's my spiel to candidates
    1. HEALTH - Senior Consultants 1 - Society at Large - 0
    2. EDUCATION - Primary + Secondary Teacher Unions 1 - Pupils - 0

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

They are local elections though so the big ticket items like health and education are above their pay grade.

Anyone know who we contact if there is a poster blocking the view of oncoming traffic?

Just at the Bridal Corner in Glasnevin there is a poster on a half pole blocking view of people turning right out of the little laneway. I think it's Gerry Breen Fine Gael but can't be 100% sure. Will be passing by again tomorrow and grab the name of the person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

report to the NRA and/or Dublin City Council. Alternatively call/email party headquarters of whatever party, they tend to be good to get them sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

Q 1. Did you vote in favour of awarding the waste collection contract to Greyhound? If yes then feck off!
    Q 2. Are you in favour of inviting a royal from Britain to the 1916 commemoration thus causing a security lock down for the city and a cost of millions? If yes, then feck off!
    Q 3. Do you think it is right to have drug clinics in our city centre thus attracting junkies by the hundreds to cause problems in the city centre? I know they are necessary, but so many centres in the city centre? If yes then feck off!
    Q 4. Should rick shaws which go around breaking the law and causing problems for motorists without being answerable to anyone continue? If yes, then feck off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Lets try and keep this civil, no need for the language

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

I think it's multi-Denomination but is under the patronage of the COI.

So far no candidates have knocked at my door - if they do I'll be asking why there is no incentive for me to recycle anymore. (I use to pay per lift 7ish euro regardless of weight so black bin would only go out once every 8 weeks I now pay 20 pm).

Advertisement