Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wet food recommendations?

• 05-03-2014 7:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭

Dog nutrition unfortunately isn't my strong point. :( We've not been having much luck with trying to get our shelties (medium sized, long haired, double coated breed) on a good dry food. They used to eat Pedigree dry food mixed with wet, but we want them on something better than that. We tried Burns, they weren't interested, we even added tuna (successful at first) and chicken broth (failed) into it and they went from being a bit interested to only picking at it. The only success we've had is with Pedigree wet food.

These are the brands available to me to order online. Recommendations?
    Also, portion size? My shelties are 16" and about 5-8lbs overweight.

Applaws
    Bozita
    Herrmann's Organic
    Lily's Kitchen
    Lukullus
    Naturediet
    Rinti
    Rocco
    Terra Canis
    Yarrah Organic
    Almo Nature
    Animonda
    Cesar
    Defu Organic
    Happy Dog
    Hill's Science Plan
    Royal Canin
    Schesir

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

From your list, I've tried Lukullus (which they're a little bit hit and miss on here), Rocco (which is consistently devoured, particularly the tripe flavoured one), Rinti (as Rocco), and Naturediet (again, can be a little hit and miss).
    Now that I look at it, the two that they're hit and miss about eating both contain rice. Hmmm. I wonder is that just coincidence?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

DBB wrote: »
    From your list, I've tried Lukullus (which they're a little bit hit and miss on here), Rocco (which is consistently devoured, particularly the tripe flavoured one), Rinti (as Rocco), and Naturediet (again, can be a little hit and miss).
    Now that I look at it, the two that they're hit and miss about eating both contain rice. Hmmm. I wonder is that just coincidence?!

Lukullus was the first one I was attracted to but I thought I should try and get the thoughts from others first.

And that's an interesting thing to notice. Wish my dogs could talk and tell me why they do or do not like something! Would make life easier haha.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

I have been buying Lukullus for a few years and find it top quality. 66% meat. Can't believe it's not a more famous brand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Ive pretty much given up on dry food for one of my dogs.
    He just will not eat dry food/kibble - no matter what good brands Ive tried him with (latest = Burns and James Wellbeloved)
    Hes food obsessed, so for this dog to not eat kibble Ive decided is him telling me that its just not for him. (hes rising 16 & has digestive issues)
    (The other dogs have always inhaled kibble)
    So Ive just stuck to the chicken/rice that I cook for him - he loves it. For variety I cook some beef/potatoes - alternating.
    I buy a pack of chicken thighs (E2.99) add a cup of rice (preferably brown) and sneak in a few peas/carrots (probably for my benefit only!!) and boil the lot up with a good bit of water - make it soupy.
    Your two shelties are around the same size as my two patterdales - this chicken/rice pot lasts about 4 days worth of dinners. They do great on it. I reckon much cheaper and better quality than wet food

aonb wrote: »
    I buy a pack of chicken thighs (E2.99) add a cup of rice (preferably brown) and sneak in a few peas/carrots (probably for my benefit only!!) and boil the lot up with a good bit of water - make it soupy.

I do something along the lines of this too, they love their chicken stew! And you'll get fatastic value on whole chickens from time to time in Tesco, Aldi or Lidl, so you'll get more meat for your money, and the bones make a great stock. I also add a knorr stock pot for a bit more flavour, not horribly salty and no gluten :), but as aonb says, that's probably more for me than for them :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭boardbrowser

I've abandoned all dry food feeding for my dog. i just couldn't live with the almost hourly flatulence that would strip the paint from the walls it was that noxious.I had tried at least 20 different brands over the years with eventually the same outcome( awful farts).
    Now i home cook and wouldn't have it any other way. Tried raw feeding(graw brand) for 4 months- it just didn't sit right with me,plus i hated seeing the blood drain out of the chumbs once it defrosted, it made me gag.
    My oldie( 13 years) is now fed a diet whereby i rotate 3 different protein sources a week( chicken/ fish/ beef- with additon of beef liver/hearts once a week). i cook up a pot containing meat, then a separate pot for veg ( frozen packet of brocolli/cauliflour/peas/carrots combo) and either sweet potato, regular potato or whole wheat pasta/brown rice.
    The most expensive ingredient is obviously meat but i shop around.
    Total spend for the week to feed twice daily is at the most 8 euro. This works out at about 60 cent per meal. This ain't bad imo. I might ad, raw feeding with Graw cost me 3 euro a day.
    It pleases me also to think that she gets a warm meal twice a day in the winter months as opposed to only dry nuts. Maybe that's the nuturing irish mammy in me but i feel it matters to my senior dog!!

Him Indoors has come home on occasion after a long day at work, and taken a deep sniff of the lovely concoction brewing away on the hob, taking the lid off the pot and sighing in satisfaction at the wholesome meal I've lovingly prepared for him.
    Then I tell him it's for the dogs.
    This is his face: :eek::mad:
    Lol :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

aonb wrote: »
    So Ive just stuck to the chicken/rice that I cook for him - he loves it. For variety I cook some beef/potatoes - alternating.

I'd be a bit worried that his diet is calcium deficient, although I am sure there is some leaching into the stock when you boil up the chicken thighs. I know he's sixteen so mightn't be a huge issue at this hour of his age, but I still think it's worth mentioning. It's very easy to supplement with calcium using plain calcium carbonate powder or tablets added to the food, but the dosage is important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Rocco for the win here, but Naturediet's good too. Even the Ocean Fish variety, pong! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Rocco and NatureDiet here although I haven't trusted the ND 100% since I got a box of the puppy one with loads of blown trays. ND were very dismissive blaming the supply chain and claiming there was no issue on their side but their FB page was full of other owners with the same problems from the same batch and ND fobbing us all off with the same reply :mad: My pup was sick from it at the time because the trays started to blow after I got it and it wasn't obvious at first that something was wrong :( I stick to turkey and rabbit ND because it smells least offensive :p for the Rocco we're finishing a huge order of the junior one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I'm currently feeding lukullus and mine love it!
    Still giving barking heads dry to one, just adding a bit of wet, little dog on wet only at the mo.

Advertisement