Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Email Domain

Options
  • 05-03-2014 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭

HI,

I have a colleague who is starting a small business. Now she does not have a website as yet but she wants an email addrsss for people to contact her that has her company name on it, say for instance Andrea@mycompany.com.

Is there any free sites where one can build their own email domain like this? As far as I can gather she has reg a website address but does not have the funds to have it designed as yet.

Thanks

frAg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Zonua

frag420 wrote: »
    HI,

I have a colleague who is starting a small business. Now she does not have a website as yet but she wants an email addrsss for people to contact her that has her company name on it, saw Andrea@mycompany.com.

Is there any free sites where one can build their own email domain like this? As far as I can gather she has reg a website address but does not have the funds to have it designed as yet.

Thanks

frAg
    Short answer: No.

However domains are cheap and even a small business needs some investment. We're talking much less than 100euro per year here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

did gmail not offer a service like that? It just popped into my head after I had posted my OP. I was working for a sales company a few yrs back who dealt with sales for various other small companies and I think my boss set up their company domains via gmail?

OPen to correction!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭v10

.ie domains are only €25 per year with the likes of blacknight, then just host the email with goggle apps for free. You then have your email in the gmail interface with google storage (which you can pay to increase). That's what I do and it's ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

She is looking at either a .com or .co.uk as she is in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭TheHappyChappy

Thanks for sharing - great info

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Wendolene

frag420 wrote: »
    HI,

I have a colleague who is starting a small business. Now she does not have a website as yet but she wants an email addrsss for people to contact her that has her company name on it, say for instance Andrea@mycompany.com.

Thanks

frAg

Hi frag,

There are plenty of free email providers from whom your colleague can take an email address within the provider's name space (e.g. gmail, hotmail, yahoo, etc.), but when you start talking about having your own domain then there's a cost for that.

Now, domain registration and hosting costs are not huge. Depending on what name space your colleague wants ( e.g. .ie, .eu, .com, .net, .org, etc. etc. etc. ) to register their domain, they could expect to pay anything from approx. €5 p.a. (for a .co.uk) to €20 p.a. (for a .ie) to €100 p.a. (for a .xxx) for the domain ... depending on what registry they register with.

A hosting package may or may not be included that would give them physical disk space in which to host their web site.

BTW, I've only written about hosting here - the domain and web space. Having a web site designed is an entirely different process and cost-base, depending on who does it.

Shop around the hosting providers to compare the prices of domains and hosting packages, the hosting space provided, availability of technical support, etc.

So, it's not free ... but it ain't expensive either.

[Disclaimer : I do not work for any domain registry or ISP, and I am not promoting any particular one. I can provide a personal recommendation, if wanted.]

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Mod Note: Hi folks, for a variety of reasons boards do not allow hosting discussions or recommendations. For Irish hosting providers, see here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

AFAIK Google apps is no longer free but is still cheap. You do need a valid domain name though for it to work

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Clarification to previous Mod note: Discussion of large mail hosting providers such as Google, Microsoft, Apple etc. are all fine. Discussion or recommendations of domain registrars or website hosting companies is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

yoyo wrote: »
    Clarification to previous Mod note: Discussion of large mail hosting providers such as Google, Microsoft, Apple etc. are all fine. Discussion or recommendations of domain registrars or website hosting companies is not.

Ah, ok then for posterity (I had pm'd the op eitherways with this), you can get Zoho mail, own domain, 5 user 5Gb's each for free. Thereafter you start to get into their paid plans. Not an email service i've used, (i was in while google standard [free version] was still an option) though, I have used a range of Zoho's other services and they're all quite good. It is one to check out anyhow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

www.mail.com offers a variety of free mail domains that might suit if she doesn't need her own
    A list here http://users.erols.com/rja411/freemail.txt not sure how accurate is is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

For Irish businesses we launched this in conjunction with An Post, Google and the Enterprise Boards:
    http://www.gettingbusinessonline.ie/

It's simple, functional and free

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Windows Live For Domains is a free service Microsoft provide. If you have an existing domain name you can associate it with their service for email etc. You can have up to 500 email addresses using your domain name, but they are hosted on Microsoft's Outlook.com service, so you can access them using their web site, or using outlook, or just regular phones/tablets etc.

Advertisement