Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fit Magazine City Series - Dublin 2014

Options
  • 05-03-2014 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hi all
    I've just registered for this 10km event on Sunday 9th March. I thought i'd already registered weeks ago but turns out i didn't so i'm a bit late.
    I've always received my chip and number in the post so I've never had to queue up to get it on the morning of race.

The race starts at 10am - i only live down the road so wasn't planning on being there too early - is there generally a long queue for the chip and number?? Don't want to risk leaving it too late and missing it but don't want to be hanging around for an hour either if i don't need to be,

thanks in advance
    Purple Cow.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭colin32

The 10km doesn't start till 10.20. According to the email I got yesterday they're recommending to arrive a hour before the start time

• Registered Users Posts: 2 stedub1

Hi,
    I have entered this race also (5km only) but my nerves at at me now.. This is my first ever race, I only started trying run in Jan. I think i might finish around 40min, I am wondering will there others of similar ability to me? all advice welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

stedub1 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have entered this race also (5km only) but my nerves at at me now.. This is my first ever race, I only started trying run in Jan. I think i might finish around 40min, I am wondering will there others of similar ability to me? all advice welcome

Hi there, you'll have a great time, nerves are good gets the adrenaline pumping. Just enjoy it and keep up the training after so you can come back for more. And good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

I registered for this last Friday and I still haven't received my timing chip. Anybody else in the same boat?

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭GOOSEPAUL

I am also doing this and I am looking forward to it. I received mine but my friend did not. He emailed them directly and was told that he should have his by Friday.

• Advertisement

Registration
    Race number collection / late registration will be possible on the following dates at the following address •Friday 7th of March
    •11am-7pm
    •Event fuel, 8 Dunville Terrace, Canal Road, Ranelagh, Dublin 6.
    •REGISTRATIONS MADE IN PERSON ARE CASH ONLY, NO CARD FACILITIES.
    •T-shirts can be collected here aslo

Had this emailed earlier. So this might help you out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

I signed up on Feb 4 and swung by Dunville Terrace to pick up my race number and T-shirt today: no record of my entry. I'd armed myself with my order number but no dice.
    The young man was extremely helpful, and gave me a race number and told me to help myself to a tee but why not provide this front-line admin person with the runners' order numbers? After all, that was all I had to tether myself to the race...
    Anybody know which end of Chesterfield Ave the race is due to kick off? It's a *loooong* road.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I signed up on Feb 4 and swung by Dunville Terrace to pick up my race number and T-shirt today: no record of my entry. I'd armed myself with my order number but no dice.
    The young man was extremely helpful, and gave me a race number and told me to help myself to a tee but why not provide this front-line admin person with the runners' order numbers? After all, that was all I had to tether myself to the race...
    Anybody know which end of Chesterfield Ave the race is due to kick off? It's a *loooong* road.

It's up the Castleknock end

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

It's up the Castleknock end

Cheers... Thanks for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

1500 expected to run today.

• Advertisement

1500 expected to run today.

Make that 1499 :( I'm unable to take part

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I did it, good course and was a lovely morning for it. I had this impression in my mind that the park was flat as a pancake so the hills surprised me.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭CorkFenian

Enjoyed race today small question.I know people who do a lot of races are probably sick of medals etc Where any given out today none in goodie bag.Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Fraggle00

It's always enjoyable to race in the park, particularly when the weather is good. I didn't see any sign of medals. I wouldn't particularly want one either. I got a banana, a copy of the sindo and a fit magazine, a bottle of water, a pedometer and a sketchers bag , and a personal best for 10k =)

I was a bit disappointed in the course tbh. Somebody dropped the ball measurements wise and didn't give a proverbial about it.

The start and finish line were not in the same place. It was therefore obvious that one or both of the 5k and 10k courses was inaccurate. The 10k was meant to be 2 laps of the 5k but considering there was a 200 metre gap from the finish to the start line this was impossible. My GPS watch measured the 10k course at 10.2k whereas Mrs Mule measured the 5k at exactly 5k - you would expect a bit extra on a GPS to allow for not hitting the racing line, GPS deviations and running around slower runners etc so I'm fairly certain the 5k was slightly short and the 10k was slightly long.

I did ask an official before the 10k started about this and he reckoned that the 5k was slightly short but that nobody was meant to notice. :rolleyes:

Any results posted for this one?

Any results posted for this one?

http://www.precisiontiming.net were the timers. Currently says results will be published in the independent newspaper today. I suspect they will hold off publishing times to the web until tomorrow to gain as much sales as possible of the paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭GOOSEPAUL

My first timed 10km run. Great morning and really enjoyed the course. Tackling the hills the second time around killed me but over all finished in 46:45. Great turnout and I will do this one again.

http://www.precisiontiming.net were the timers. Currently says results will be published in the independent newspaper today. I suspect they will hold off publishing times to the web until tomorrow to gain as much sales as possible of the paper.

It's horse Shxt isn't it

Yep :)

Times in paper are gun times too. I'm waiting to see my chip time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

I don't remember seeing a chip mat at the start so you won't get chip time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

I think Precision have the scanner overhead as you pass under the gantry now. At least was the set up in Bohermeen anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭NiallG4

If there were no mats at the start, the race was not chipped. A lot of chip companies are doing this lately. It is not cost related either. I asked the guy at a race up our way and the answer was "too much hassle". All they seem to be doing now is recording time and positions. Bit unfair on the guys at the back who might take 30 secs plus to even cross the start line.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Precision usually have it in the gantry, they have chip times and gun times for Ballycotton up.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭NiallG4

Precision usually have it in the gantry, they have chip times and gun times for Ballycotton up.

Agree, they usually do and I would have expected it down there with the big field and narrow start. Just saying, lately, a lot of races claiming to be chipped are technically not really chipped.

I've been told net times will be available from approx 5pm this evening on the precision website.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Run and Jump

I was a bit disappointed in the course tbh. Somebody dropped the ball measurements wise and didn't give a proverbial about it.

The start and finish line were not in the same place. It was therefore obvious that one or both of the 5k and 10k courses was inaccurate. The 10k was meant to be 2 laps of the 5k but considering there was a 200 metre gap from the finish to the start line this was impossible. My GPS watch measured the 10k course at 10.2k whereas Mrs Mule measured the 5k at exactly 5k - you would expect a bit extra on a GPS to allow for not hitting the racing line, GPS deviations and running around slower runners etc so I'm fairly certain the 5k was slightly short and the 10k was slightly long.

I did ask an official before the 10k started about this and he reckoned that the 5k was slightly short but that nobody was meant to notice. :rolleyes:

Did both the 5K and 10K start at the same place in the Fit Mag races? I was busy warming up for the 10K and didn't notice if the start line was moved after the 5K start.

For the Aware Christmas Run last December on the exact same route in the Phoenix Park, the 10K set off first and then for the 5K the start line was moved a few hundred metres back down Chesterfield Avenue - maybe to account for that discrepancy in the lap.

Did both the 5K and 10K start at the same place in the Fit Mag races? I was busy warming up for the 10K and didn't notice if the start line was moved after the 5K start.

For the Aware Christmas Run last December on the exact same route in the Phoenix Park, the 10K set off first and then for the 5K the start line was moved a few hundred metres back down Chesterfield Avenue - maybe to account for that discrepancy in the lap.

No they didn't move it yesterday. Both went from same spot. I was expecting a move myself but then they called the 10k runners to the start. It was at that point I queried it. I was told 10k was accurate and 5k was short but I suspect I was being told that simply because I was a 10k runner. I believe the 10k was long and possibly the 5k short too.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Run and Jump

No they didn't move it yesterday. Both went from same spot. I was expecting a move myself but then they called the 10k runners to the start. It was at that point I queried it. I was told 10k was accurate and 5k was short but I suspect I was being told that simply because I was a 10k runner. I believe the 10k was long and possibly the 5k short too.

In any case, the 10k was more than twice the 5k. The 10k field covered the 5k course, then the distance from the finish to the start (the full loop), then the 5k course again.

• Advertisement

can't see what the problem is.

you paid to enter the 10km race, you did 10km so why are you moaning about the 5km route being short :rolleyes:

Advertisement