Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fit Magazine City Series - Dublin 2014

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

colin32 wrote: »
    can't see what the problem is.

you paid to enter the 10km race, you did 10km so why are you moaning about the 5km route being short :rolleyes:

Because my wife ran the 5k, got a PB which may actually be a PB for 4.8k

And if the 10k was long which I suspect it was a bit that has a negative influence on those who were aiming for a tight PB themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭colin32

just congratulate your wife on a pb for 5km and move on. you'll never get anyone from the organisers to admit it was short. no matter what the steward said

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Nikki77

I just checked PrecisionTiming results ... I definitely ran 10km and the clock said 53:20sec when I crossed the line. But the precision (?) result says I just did 5km in 41min... and I dont believe for one minute that I ran 10km in 41min so something is definitely messed up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Put up ur 2 garmin links...

Edit....I have sweet fa to do with this race

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Run and Jump

Here's the course map, showing that the 10K runners first did the 5K course, then around 200m to the start line, and then the full 5K course again:
    https://twitter.com/RunandJumpBlog/status/443017584816832512/photo/1

If the 5K start had been further back and then moved up for the 10K, just as the Aware race organisers did in December, that would have sorted it out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

ultraman1 wrote: »

Did you measure this one Anto? :)

My wife didn't wear a watch.
    My watch measured 6.3 miles rather than the expected 6.2. Of course you would expect a little extra for racing line, zig zagging around runners, GPS deviations so I don't actually know was the 10k long or 5k short or indeed both.

Looking though at the huge difference in 5k split times across the field - even the top 10 are showing huge differences it's clear even without the map above that the 5k route was a good bit less than half the 10k route.

Nikki77 wrote: »
    I just checked PrecisionTiming results ... I definitely ran 10km and the clock said 53:20sec when I crossed the line. But the precision (?) result says I just did 5km in 41min... and I dont believe for one minute that I ran 10km in 41min so something is definitely messed up.

Sounds like you are set up and timed as running the 5k race. So although you started with the 10k racers 15 min later your time is being given from the 5k start to the first time you went through the finish line (at 5k) Your second and final time crossing the line was then ignored or not read.

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Did you measure this one Anto? :)
    Not guilty.....it must of been measured as it had s permit,but after its measured,unless the measurer turns up on the day to see if the course measured is the course run,then the organisers pretty much can put d finish line/start line where they want......have measured a few races where afterwards have seen pics of the finish/start line in wrong place this rendering them short....I believe this is wat happened at a big 5 mile race a few years ago in d park..

Edit..am not sayin this is wat happened yesterday as was not there

Not guilty.....it must of been measured as it had s permit,but after its measured,unless the measurer turns up on the day to see if the course measured is the course run,then the organisers pretty much can put d finish line/start line where they want......have measured a few races where afterwards have seen pics of the finish/start line in wrong place this rendering them short....I believe this is wat happened at a big 5 mile race a few years ago in d park

Ha that was my first ever race. Race series 5 mile 2012. Turned out to be 4.9 :) start line was set up in the wrong place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭purple cow

I measured it at 9.2km with Runkeeper.

My name appears twice on the results list, my gender is wrong, and that ain't me in the video.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

purple cow wrote: »

My name appears twice on the results list, my gender is wrong, and that ain't me in the video.

Successful event so,

purple cow wrote: »

There's no way the 10k route was that short if short at all. Maybe it lost signal in the furry glen ?

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭purple cow

There's no way the 10k route was that short if short at all. Maybe it lost signal in the furry glen ?

whoops - just checked again - it was 9.92.

my gender and video are still wrong though!

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭CorkFenian

Any sign of pictures from yesterday up?? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

I believe the 10k was long and possibly the 5k short too.

I had it at 6.22miles which is pretty much bang on and my mate had it at exactly 6.21miles so it wasnt long or short.
    Enjoyable race, lovely weather for a change, nice T-shirt although I think they're a bit on the small side. I got a medium and its a pretty tight fit, so I think going a size up was the way to go.

tunguska wrote: »
    I had it at 6.22miles which is pretty much bang on and my mate had it at exactly 6.21miles so it wasnt long or short.
    Enjoyable race, lovely weather for a change, nice T-shirt although I think they're a bit on the small side. I got a medium and its a pretty tight fit, so I think going a size up was the way to go.

Thanks tunguska. That's very good to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

If a GPS watch gives a course as being short - it was short
    If a GPS watch gives a course as being dead on - it was short

Allow for not following SPR, weaving around other participants, going around unexpected obstacles, etc, etc, it's pretty much impossible to run the line, except on an Olympic type course. In my experience, very, very few people follow the line in races.

Note: I had nothing to do with this event....wasn't there...don't know the course.

- AIMS/IAAF Measurer

Condo131 wrote: »

Allow for not following SPR, weaving around other participants, going around unexpected obstacles, etc, etc, it's pretty much impossible to run the line, except on an Olympic type course. In my da lee ken, very, very few people follow the line in races.

Note: I had nothing to do with this event....wasn't there...don't know the course.

- AIMS/IAAF Measurer
    Agree with the second bit ,,not the first bit

Allow for not following SPR, weaving around other participants, going around unexpected obstacles, etc, etc, it's pretty much impossible to run the line, except on an Olympic type course. In my da lee ken, very, very few people follow the line in races.

- AIMS/IAAF Measurer
    Agree with the second bit ,,not the first bit

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

10k was correct distance,t-shirt is bet on to me(note need an XXL)
    Long delay and hot enough people handing out numbers before the race and delay in start only small issues.
    Cracking day and good atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Allow for not following SPR, weaving around other participants, going around unexpected obstacles, etc, etc, it's pretty much impossible to run the line, except on an Olympic type course. In my experience, very, very few people follow the line in races.

- AIMS/IAAF Measurer

I've ran the same 5k course several times and have been over and under on the distance. There is a U turn and can have varying tree cover depending on the season. So I would suggest it's not as simple as saying if your GPS says X.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    I've ran the same 5k course several times and have been over and under on the distance. There is a U turn and can have varying tree cover depending on the season. So I would suggest it's not as simple as saying if your GPS says X.

You're right, it certainly isn't as simple as saying if your GPS says X. There's an awful lot more to it. Interesting article here, plus links to other related ones.

Your point about the trees and the U turn are prime examples of why the GPS is going to be out - even before considering the unit's accuracy and error, it measures between points, cutting a straight line between each two points. One simply can't accept that these errors can occur and, on the other hand, suggest that the displayed distance is accurate.

Your experience with the 5k course is a good example of why GPS distance readings are simply a ballpark guide. Of course one assumes that the course was actually measured properly, in the first place! Have you looked at your GPS plots of the 5k on Satellite view? Sometimes I have a good laugh at where mine has said I've run!

Advertisement